Favorite Unit?

AfterShafter

Deity
You know, I've been wondering... What is everyone's favorite unit?

For me, in a recent thread, several people say that they skipped mine altogether. I've had a lot of fun with a lot of units, but no single unit in the entire game gets me quite as excited as... Longbowmen.

In a period of resource hogging expensive units that require a multitude of fancy-schmancy techs, this guy is a beacon of simplicity and versatility. A relatively cheap generalist with one outstanding strength. He doesn't cost a ton, he gets tremendous bonuses on defense (heck, I get so-so odds taking out protective longbowmen on a hill with riflemen and cannons), and on the field he's a great guy to compose a bulk of your force. As a protective Civ, he's a good assault leader - but otherwise, he's just a good general filler for a force. Also, should he be more or less all you're stuck with due to resource limitations, with a healthy siege force he'll be able to take - and hold with gumption - any city a macemen force could. If you play the terrain right with him, he'll hunker through enemy territory without being able to be touched by anything prior to knights, and in your own territory, he's the best of the best when something comes knocking on your door.

Yeah, I love longbowmen. Feudalism, is one of my favorite techs, and Sitting Bull is my favorite leader, because he makes my boys all the stronger.

So, what about everyone else?

I like macemen a lot. Especially when they get up to like CR 3 so I can upgrade them to riflemen/ infantry.

Knights and Trebuchets. I bombard the defense, cause some colaterall damage, and Lance-shock some n00bs. If I play as my favorite Civ, Holy Rome, I get the Landsnechts in my doom stack too.

Recent favorite has to be the Landsknechts. Good, versatile unit on both offense and defense. These and Protective-strengthened Longbows and Muskets helped me put down a 30+ offensive stack launched by the Celts.

I guess it's gotta be privateers. I usually beeline for optics and go all-out on the circumnavigation race, then aim for the first privateer. If I want to fatten my treasury, or my units on experience points, or earn Great General points, I can do all of that ...in peacetime, against anyone or everyone as I see fit. Support them with spies, and I can choke a rival economy.

The reason that the're my favorite is that they have the biggest fun factor.

Glad someone mentioned grenadiers. All those poor buggers rushing to riflemen never know what hit 'em, when the grenadiers and (right after them) cannons start marching in..

problem with calvary is that when cannons show up infantry and machine guns are just a tech anyway so its really difficult to have a calvary survive such units.

The mace and the treb. They compliment each other so well and can serve a purpose long in the future (CR upgrades to rifles/infantry and cannons/arty), if need be.

The mace and the treb. They compliment each other so well and can serve a purpose long in the future (CR upgrades to rifles/infantry and cannons/arty), if need be.

Don't you find macemen and trebs fill the same role to some degree? Macemen are the big hitting city busters, paired with... Trebs, the big hitting city busters. Neither one really excels for the cost outside of city attacking.

Upgrading though, yeah, Maces are great for that, and Trebs... Well, their whole upgrade line is pretty linear, so they're good. But the units in themselves? I don't find they compliment each other so much as they overkill on one job.

Rifles....they kick ass and an anti gunpowder unit upgrade isnt that expensive so within no time they also kick grenadiers asses. Maybe even better, redcoats....See them grenadiers die by the dozens trying to attack redcoats :D

Brings tears to my eyes :D

What if the grendiers get the anti-gunpowder upgrade too? :o :o

They are not allowed, then they are cheating and I will throw a fit....yes they can, BUT, 25% on 14 strenght kicks in harder then 25% on 12 strenght.....It closes the gab, but the odds are getting better......Mostly I love rifles cause AI doesnt seem to make them a Prio.....if I am in a dead lock, beeline rifles and by the time AI gets either rifles OR grens, I have usually already decided the game in my favour OR have inf tech....

But back to your question, I am God Emperor and they are NOT allowed to take that Upgrade.

Thus Spoke Pir Lan Tota
We thank him

;)

He he, I'll remember that if we ever play :)

Though, you do have a point. I do notice that quite often the CPU goes all the way to assembly line without getting rifling... It's scary to capture a city of a guy you're attacking because he doesn't have rifles yet to find that it has a factory in it :S

Blitz promoted gunships probably take the first spot for me. Back when paras could drop in empty enemy cities, they were by far my favorite combo. Many even more modern units are very cool, but they appear so late there is really not enough time to play with them. Riflemen and infantry upgraded from CR macemen win "the most used favorite units". Redcoats do not really have any competition for the best UU in my games.

I dunno that I really have a favorite unit as such. But I definitely agree, LongBowmen have saved my bacon more often than pretty much any other unit upgrade.

Top Bottom