Favorite Units

Tank_Guy#3

Lion of Lehistan
OK, lets have everyone list their favorite units from each of the Total War games they have.

RTW (actually Rome Total Realism):
1. Bastarnae Mercenaries: I have never, ever seen these guys retreat, even when their numbers are down in the single digits with the general dead. Also, many of the injured ones that "die" in battle heal up to fight another day.

2. Galatian mercenaries: also not likely to run away, but I've seen it happen.

3. Principes: I recruit these guys almost exclusively when fighting as the Romans.

MTW:
1. For the life of me I cannot remember this units name, but it is easily my favorite in MTW. A unit of swordsmen, 60 men in it, a shield (kite). Man, I know I'm going to kick myself when I hear it. I believe they say that they are medium infantry.

2. Boyars: I generally like horse archers, but horse archers that can fight in melee effectively is even better.

3. Pikemen/Halberdiers: These also make up a large proportion of my army once they're trainable.

4. English Longbowman: I can remember several occasions when at least half my army was made up of these guys.

Rome Total war:
elephants, they break up any army

MTW:
Beserkers (vikings)

Shogun:
can't remember any unit in the game

M2TW:
longbowman (still haven't used that many of them)

In R:TW:

1) Galatian Swordsmen, as they rarely retreat, and are great against hoplites, and can even match them sometimes in front.
2)Dreponephora Harma, they are strong chariots, which beat every cavalry always. And they look neat.
3)This one is hard to decide, but I go on Sarmatian Mercenaries. They are great to harm enemy, especially against hoplites. Just lock hoplites from the front, and bash them with Horse Archers.

Rome Total war:
elephants, they break up any army
From my experiences, by phalanxes have held up quite well against them. I set them very deep and have at least 10 of them wide. I also pepper the elephants with arrows, which apparently has no affect whatsoever.

@Hitti: I was kind of in favor of the Galatians myself. And for some reason, one day I decided to see which was stronger, Galatians or Bastarnae.

1 Unit of Galatians vs. 1 Unit of Bastarnae

Same equipment (all gold), same valor (the max).

I was the Galatians. I got brutally massacred, I maybe killed 30-35 of theirs (Bastarnae), and they killed all but 17 of mine (Galatians).

It was on the English Grasslands (or whatever its actually called) terrain.

----------------------------------------------

However, I still use them quite frequently. The only problem with them is that they cannot be trained or have their numbers replenished anywhere. You have to combine units to rebuild their numbers. Galatians you can train.

But in my save I respect Galatians more, because they're pretty cheap, and they are fast and flexible. Hoplite-killer. Bastarnaes are expensive, which is a con for them.

but the elephats if used properly will even know out the best buil wall of Phalanxes, all you need is 4 units, 2 are straigth on distractions, and 2 go around and take out the sides, you just have to stop the other elephants before they the wall, then when the phalanxes change to strike the side attackers the ones in front attack and tear apart the units (always have infantry close behind to take advantage of the chaos)

4 units of elephants cost 16000 denarii. And with bad luck elephants may run amok and kill your general if you're not fast enough to move him away. At least your infantry will suffer a lot of amok-elephants.

But in my save I respect Galatians more, because they're pretty cheap, and they are fast and flexible. Hoplite-killer. Bastarnaes are expensive, which is a con for them.

Cheap yes. I have found that the Thracian infantry tend to be the best at killing a phalanx head on.

Bastarnae are expensive, but are well worth the investment. And don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate Galatians as well.

@ Jeff: But I never go into battle with just phalanxes. I usually have several units of archers, cavalry and generally some light infantry (i.e. cannon fodder, generally my skirmishers).

When I know elephants are in a battle, I will try to quickly recruit a lot of light infantry and skirmishers and send them out to attack the elephants well before my lines.

that's why when you use elephants you use the infantry you considder cannon fodder, so that when the elephants to go amok you can still use them a a weapon, and when they head for your men you kill them off, then once the elephants are going down you strike with heavy cavalry, and have the infantry strike after.

elephant i agree are dangerous and expensive, but if used right they can pay themselves off 10 fold, i've done it personally with the egyptians as Carthage. amnd as for archers, they can herdly put a dent in elephants, i personally have never had an elephant die from an archer during the charge, and cavalry are the biggest danger that is why you use light infantry, and at lest 2 squads of spearman.....it's also a good idea to back up the elepants with cavalry once it looks like your winning

RTW: Mercenary Elephants. I remember, as the Brutii, I once got a unit of mercenary elephants... served me well for many years.

MTW2: Yeoman archers. Lay down the stakes, take off skirmish mode, and the archers do the rest.

Longbowmen and Billmen in Medieval were simply obscene. They seem to have toned them down a lot in med 2, and the billmen are broken, along with all other 2 handed troops apparently.

Med II: Dismounted Fuedal Knights. Perfect all-rounders.
Holy Cross Roller. Funny to watch, and also kick-ass fighters.
Hungarian Nobles. Great skill with a bow.
Monster Bombard. Good grief against buildings.

Rome: (Sorry if details are sketchy/wrong, haven't played game in ages.)
Armoured Elephants. Ridicously powerful against any unit, except spears.
Armoured Hoplites. Look cool and powerful too.
Triarii. Good spears against cavalry and infantry.
Cataphracts. The armour is amazing, as is the power.

Now that I've started playing Europa Barbarum, I've taken a liking to the Pedites Extraordinarii (spelling?). The damage done by archers is also a little more realistic in EB. Units cost a lot more in this game though.

I'd have to say my favourite are catapracts, Spartan Hoplites, Armored War Elephants, and Horse Archers.

One time I set up a battle.... 1 unit of Spartan hoplites against the maximum amount of peasants. Good heavens, the Spartans won and only lost two men. Verdict: Peasants are only good troops if your enemy is already beaten. :p

One time I set up a battle.... 1 unit of Spartan hoplites against the maximum amount of peasants. Good heavens, the Spartans won and only lost two men. Verdict: Peasants are only good troops if your enemy is already beaten. :p

I know a clip of that on Youtube. Is that yours?

Top Bottom