favorite way to play

nadeem

Chieftain
do you have a favorite setup for your games?
all conditions such as map size, map type, nubmer of civs and game speed as well as other custom game options

Marathon/huge/18 civs is the only way that feels right on immortal/diety. Its the only way I can fight wars in every era all the way from axemen to gigantic naval invasions with over 200 ship units alone and fully loaded with modern units/fighters.

I have a lot of stuff disabled and enabled. this is how I play my games lately:

custom game options:
- No tech brokering.
- random personalities (also known as: find the monty's and spot the toku's)
- no vassal states
- no goodie huts
- no barbarians
- aggressive AI

mapsize
large maps, allthough I wil go huge once my real-life-stuff settles down and i expand my computer memory.

maptype
tectonics.
60% landmass
wet climate.
I love the randomness of a tectonics map, and the beautifull hills and mountain ranges are awesome (and realistic).
I regenerate a start at the north or south-pole though. I see white trees at the start I regen....

speed
marathon, always.

difficulty
Monarch/Emperor, which seems to be my mental limit at the moment.

XML mods:
free great prophet with divine right
lumbermills at machinery
no colonial taxes
espionage mission: "poison city" was modded out.
Monestaries, walls and castles do not go obsolete.

number of civs:
On large maps I play with 12-14 civs.
huge I max it to 18, but my current computer slows down to a crawl at late game on monarch/emperor with huge maps, since my aggresive AI builds so many units.
Custom enemy:
if I dont play with the Romans (which is most of the time) I make sure Augustus is in there. I just think a civ game needs a Roman empire.
If i select any other custom AI i usually select the ancient ones: Egypt, Babylon, Persia, China, etc.

Other custom settings:
ashtray nearby and empty at start of game.
Fridge must contain at least 3 beers. preferably one for every age :)
Phone = off.

Deity/Immortal
Marathon speed
Raging barbarians always
Large tectonics maps
70% landmass
Usually 12+ civs, no tech brokering
Warmongering Aggressive AI

difficulty Warlord or Noble
speed marathon
Large continental or archipelago maps
default for everything else.
no mods.

going mostly for conquer or domination victory.

Whichever difficulty level is actually challenging – at the moment emperor.

Fractal. I like knowing that I could just as easily be isolated as on a pangea continent.

Choose religions – I got sick of Buddhism, Hinduism and Judaism running the show a long time ago. It actually does make it a tiny bit more challenging in that if an early religion is founded you don’t know if it was meditation or polytheism that did it, if you’re trying to find a religion with one of those two. But on the other hand it makes it easier because it gives you a clue as to who else might be out there. If Christianity is founded early there’s a decent chance it’s Isabella or Justinian, Islam Mansa or Saladin.

I like Epic – the units don’t go obsolete as fast. Normal on higher difficulty levels feels a little crammed. Like too much has happened before I got the chance to grasp what was going on. I like Normal too though, Marathon’s a bit too much and can get really boring towards the end.

Sometimes random leaders.

Sometimes random personalities. Random personalities makes the game more challenging – I’ll do it before I move up to the next difficulty level.

See my Signature...

My favorite is standard fractal on noble, w/ default options, random leader.

Lately I've been playing the above on archipelago. I'm about to start considering bumping up the difficulty, although I don't like that the AI gets a handicap. A smarter AI would do...

Current Settings
Prince - Random Leader - Small/Standard - Marathon - pangaea/fractal no random events - no barbs

Previous Settings (for a long time)
Noble - Random Leader - Huge - Marathon - fractal/continents/big&small - no barbs

I do Big and Small map.

I was doing Custom Continents for a while, but was finding that the maps generated were too few. So far on Big and Small I haven't encountered the same map twice, I don't think.

I go for 12 civs on a normal size map because it really pushes me to concentrate on early game improvement, and I like the idea of earning territory. No-one gets to 8 cities without a fight, or looking for islands.

Aggressive AI. Only way to play. When I first bought CIV IV, I'd play domination wins only and all the AI would sit on their thumbs the entire game. Only one way to win, and the AI wouldn't try to win. One game went to year 2100's because they all sat in piece building their armies, thus I had to prepare to take out one at a time on each island continent.

Normal Speed. Curious all you Marathoners. How many hours does it take you to complete a Marathon? I love it when I can complete a space race in 7 hours. Obviously the domination wins take double time. But everyone talks so lovingly about the Marathon that I've always been curious to try them myself. So how many hours?

I'm only Monarch skill.

That should about cover it.

Right now, playing Noble, epic speed, standard size, fractal map, random coast and climate, random leader. All other options stock except I use BUG mod.

Trying to get good at Noble by being able to beat it with any leader on any start before I move to Prince.

My record so far is 11 wins, 2 losses. The two losses were with Boudica and Survy right after I got BTS, so maybe its about time to move up

Normal Speed. Curious all you Marathoners. How many hours does it take you to complete a Marathon? I love it when I can complete a space race in 7 hours. Obviously the domination wins take double time. But everyone talks so lovingly about the Marathon that I've always been curious to try them myself. So how many hours?

WoW! 14 hours for a normal game? Do you roleplay and name everything?

It takes me an average of 10-14 hours for any kind of win on marathon.
Trying to get good at Noble by being able to beat it with any leader on any start before I move to Prince.

My record so far is 11 wins, 2 losses. The two losses were with Boudica and Survy right after I got BTS, so maybe its about time to move up

Try moving up, man. I waited until I won every game I played with random leader/random map on Noble. Once I was so far ahead in techs/military/land and was able to choose any win-type without worry, I made the move up to prince. It got harder quick. I'm still getting used to the (seemingly) longer research times and higher maintenance costs. I wish there was a level in between Noble and Prince. I don't want to blow the AI out of the water, but I need a "learning level" to adjust to the higher unit/maintenance costs

Still playing on Noble, but moving into Prince soon enough.

I've mostly played Earth18Civs and Continents with Marathon...

My favorite map size is standard or huge.

I've mostly played Earth18Civs and Continents with Marathon...
Earth 18 as a European nation or any nation? I find that if I start in Europe (Germany/Spain/France/Rome) I can play Earth18 on Monarch and still pull out easy wins. That was when I was playing Noble on normal games. A 2 level jump is easy as Europe on Earth18. Just a heads up that ur regular (or custom) games might not be as easy to make the jump.

I played mostly Monarch (I think) in Vanilla - just started with BTS and am playing Prince.

Generally:

. Normal Size planet of various types
- Epic speed
- Random Civilization
- all other default options

I tend to go for Cultural Victories. I find moving units around in this game very tedious and slow. If I do go to war it's right away.

Noble or Prince, I like Earth or Terra maps, and Epic or Normal. I pick leaders at random.

I play mostly Huge Monarch/Emperor Marathon Temperate Continents with Random leader. Lately I've been using unrestricted leaders to for some strange combos of leaders/civs.

Most other settings default, although I occasionally turn barbs off.

Deity/Immortal
Raging barbarians always

thats one sick combo :)
i actually shut the barbs down once i started moving up in difficulty because they annoyed the crap out of me. Respect!

About 6-10 hours on large maps. usually 2-3 evenings, spread out over the month.

Top Bottom