favorite way to play

Usually:
*Normal speed, standard size, low sea level, noble difficulty.
*Map script varies (most commonly, tectonics, fractal or ocean-middle doughnut).
*Random leader. Unrestricted leaders. Ranging between 10 and 18 civs depending on my mood.
*Tech Brokering OFF (Trading is on). Diplomatic victory off, usually Vassals off. I usually enable culture flips after conquest to keep me on my toes.

Sometimes:
*Raging Barbarians
*"Advanced Start" at 100 points (capital placement only)
*Random Personalities.

BtS 3.17 with unofficial patch.

Frequent XML mods:
3 national wonders per city instead of 2
Great Wall costs more; starts later; becomes a national wonder.

About 50% of the time I do "Advanced Start" at 100 points (capital placement only). I'll occasionally do random personalities.

That's a great idea. I'd probably allow points for capital placement and a scout or warrior. Will definitely try this tonight. I hate when I see a superior capital location 3 or 4 tiles away from the start.

Earth 18 as a European nation or any nation?

I've played as almost every nation except Arabians... All were quite easy wins, since almost every game is quite a lot like the other.

A 2 level jump is easy as Europe on Earth18. Just a heads up that ur regular (or custom) games might not be as easy to make the jump.

Yeah, but there has to be some challenge... And the losses are the best teachers.

I've played as almost every nation except Arabians... All were quite easy wins, since almost every game is quite a lot like the other.

Yeah, but there has to be some challenge... And the losses are the best teachers.

Oh, i agree totally. I was just saying that I tried making the Prince jump after my first Noble Earth 18 game as Rome because I totally destroyed the game. I was ruined quickly in that prince game lol. Just a heads up. You know what you're ready for.

Always :
Large Map
Normal Speed
No tech. brokering
No random events

Often :
England with Liz
Pangea map

I play on Noble/Prince difficulties currently.

Difficulty: Noble
Map: Archipelago, Snaky Continents, Low Sea Level, Temperate or Tropical, Small or Standard size
Speed: Epic or Marathon
Settings: No Tech Brokering, and sometimes also Raging Barbarians, Choose Religions

I also like to add in an extra AI or two as Snaky continents archipelagos with low sea levels tend to have a ton of unoccupied continents if you just go with the regular amount of players.

marathon Speed
huge Map
Raging barb
Advance Start
Random Seed reload

My custom options:

- Prince/Monarch.
- Random Civ.
- Epic speed.
- Large maps prefferably.
- Tectonics is a must have for me.
- Random AI personality.
- No tech brokering.
- Advanced start (about 400-600 points on epic).

noble
odessy speed
large map, fractal
10 civs
no tech brokering
rampaging barbarians
no spys
no vassel states
choose religion
permament alliances
random personalities

for right now this is what works for me. i win about 1/2 the time. i dont like vassel states anymore lol. to many time ive been very close to beating a civ and they become the vassel of my greatest rival. i also feel that no tech brokering slows down some of the other civs from getting to far ahead :). randome personalities makes each game a lil different. i also took the nukes out of the game.

Noble, random leaders, huge map, low shoreline, epic speed.

Maps vary, but usually global highlands/snaky continents/toroidal, archipelago/snaky continents/toroidal, or the ice age one that starts at 4000 BC with islands or snaky continents, which actually gives you a pleasant swiss-cheese kind of world.

- Prince/Monarch.
- Random Civ.
- Epic speed.
- Huge maps.
- Fractal.
- Random AI personality.

I usually play on Earth 18, on Noble (or Chieftain if I really don't feel like trying hard). I always choose who I will be, and generally eliminate space race and time as victory conditions. I use the text file to edit different opponents into the scenario, and have developed several Earth scenarios using the civs in Civ Gold 3. And I usually play on normal speed, with aggressive AI turned on.

Noble, been playing a lot of Earth18 lately (Egypt is simply amazing on that map, though I've discovered how fun Europe can be).

Being a rather casual player, I usually can only find time to play on Normal or (gasp) Quick.

Sometimes I play with Barbarians Off if I don't feel like building the Great Wall. Otherwise, I don't really toy with the options very much, save for Choose Religions if I'm looking for more realism. The one time I played with aggressive AI, I didn't make it to the Renaissance.

IMO, Europe on Earth 18 is way overpowered. I think I have to start as Egypt in my next Earth18 game. Floodplains do suck for health, though.

No, Epic is faster than Marathon. I thought it was called something else (not Odyssey) but I could be wrong.

Top Bottom