Favorite Wonder -Ancient

Vote for your favorite, whatever level or settings you play.

• Lighthouse

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Oracle

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Pyramids

Votes: 78 37.0%
  • Great Library

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Great Wall

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Colossus

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Hanging Gardens

Votes: 36 17.1%

• Total voters

ArmOrAttAk

Warlord
Vote for your favorite, whatever level or settings you play.

Generally speaking, The Hanging Gardens

Pyramids

the boost in growth is so nice

Pyramids.

Lasts Forever, don't have to build granaries for improved growth. Gotta love that.

I always want the Colossus, but the Hanging Gardens is good on the higher levels. Pyramids is nice, but capturing it is good too. I have to have the Colossus in my SSC, a tactic I always use, and this has to be chosen by me. I don't trust the AI to let me capture their Colossus city and then build the other wonders there because it'll miss all the decent specials. :(

Generally Pyramids, for reasons previously stated. Although on Emperor or Deity it's gotta be the Gardens. Keep 'em smiling! :)

Gotta go with Duke on this. And for the exact same reason. SSC with MY special resources. :goodjob:

Great Library.
All my cities are SSC's
Let Colossus go then you don't need to rush to Astronomy, then Theory of Gravity, also Construction, Sanitation, University, etc, etc, etc. Your whole civ has to center around this one city. I prefer handling my civ as a whole, over babysitting that one city all game. My civ get directions from me, NOT the other way around as is the case if you build SSC.
So Again all my cities are SSC's especially the one with Great Library. It picks me up junker techs like Astronomy, and Theory of gravity, :p
Letting the Computer have these gives me free reign anything else I want.

Pyramids by a stack of wheat! Need growth, bigger cities are better and the pyramids cuts the food cost in half for each new pop point.

HG is good, as is Colossus, and the others, but pyramids are a must to get the most out of your food supply.

The Duke speaks for me :).... It's gotta be Colossus, though the HG should also be in the SSC if at all possible (more trade and faster growth). The Pyramids can be anywhere, or captured, with no ill effects.

The only two candidates for me here are the HG and the Colussus, as they form two-thirds of what I term the "Pre-Modern Triad." Of the two, I'd have to go with the Colossus since I tend to get considerable profit out of it. So much so that I no longer think of my Colossus city as a SSC, but rather as the "World-City" of the World-Economy (a la Braudel).

OK, put me in the Great Minority, -- I opted for the Library. I go for the Colussus & SSC plan, and there have been games where I went without the GL and had no pain.

But the Library provides a level of insurance, and keeping the Library out of another's hands provides an additional level of satisfaction.

My brother told me about a MP game where he had the GL & the other two players split the other ancient Wonders -- he was leading last I heard. :egypt:

Originally posted by Old n Slow
OK, put me in the Great Minority, -- I opted for the Library. I go for the Colussus & SSC plan, and there have been games where I went without the GL and had no pain.

But the Library provides a level of insurance, and keeping the Library out of another's hands provides an additional level of satisfaction.

My brother told me about a MP game where he had the GL & the other two players split the other ancient Wonders -- he was leading last I heard. :egypt:

My view on the Great Library is not as positive. If you have it, you're on the same tech level as the other civs, if you're ahead in the tech race, it slows you on, if not, your science will jump ahead and then stop for a long time. The more techs, the more beakers needed to discover advances.

If you do have the GL, tech is not a problem, your strength will come from your productivity, economics, and number of combat units. This I don't like, the AI cheats at unit production, and improving the terrain and development of his cities. Tech race is a vital area where he can be beat.

I like it better when the AI has it. Of course, if you are more productive, richer and can build and maintain a larger military, it might not be that bad.

Pyramids, it makes all my cities grow faster without me having to build lots of granaries and pay for the maintenance.

The only ancient wonders I ever build are Pyramids and Colossus.

I allways build the pyramids, they're just great. I usually can get at least one more wonder. Before I never built the colossus or hanging gardens, but I usually try fit at least one of them in somewhere. The trade in and with that city can be vital.
I've tried to make a SSC, but there's allways one of the three wonders I miss out:( . Gotta work better on that...

For me (without any doubt) the Hanging Gardens - the #1, #2 and #3 wonder.
And then Colossus and Marco Polo's.
Worst wonder: Great Library.
HG gives you a kick in expansion and growth - and, later, Michelangelo will give you a boost.

Properly used, the Colossus is so powerful as to almost unbalance the game. Combine it with HG and a Republic, and it's lights out for the AI.

As mentioned above somewhere, I voted for the Pyramids, but of course there are always reasons to choose one Wonder over another.
I would always build the Colossus in say, an OCC game or for a SSC.
A lighthouse is a definite in games with lots of islands well spaced apart.

Play the Civ2 GOTM#18 and find which Wonder you think is most useful. Download it from the Civfanatic Civ2 GOTM page.

generally Lighthouse, unless there are no or too few ocean-squares on the map.
Great Library in team-games.

else the gardens.

Top Bottom