1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Work of Literature!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Giotto, May 15, 2004.

1. Giotto

Giotto Eagle

I didn't really think about LOTR and Ender's Game enough... I now consider them literature after considering the themes and whatnot. Still, I don't think either has to do with the theme most people associate them with (war).

2. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

Animal Farm, Old Man and the sea, 1984, Of mine and man, Lord of the flies

Ramius

3. polymath

polymath Tleilaxu Mentat

My favourite work of literature would have to be Emma by Jane Austen. Witty, mannered, inventive and elegant, this book will delight you if you let it. Some of the passages sneak up on you and stay with you for life. This snippet regards having guests for supper:

"Upon such occasions poor Mr Woodhouse's feelings were in sad warfare. He loved to have the cloth laid, because it had been the fashion of his youth; but his conviction of suppers being very unwholesome made him rather sorry to see anything put on it; and while his hospitality would have welcomed his visitors to every thing, his care for their health made him grieve that they would eat."

4. WickedSmurf

WickedSmurf pr0

Clive Barker's books fascinate me. The last one I read was "The Great and Secret Show". Oddness at its most odd. Then again, I'm not much of a book worm.

5. MCdread

MCdread Couldn't she get drowned?

It's very hard to choose one, especially because there is still a universe of literature that I haven't touched yet. However, I constantly find myself returning to a particular book that I have already read several times, so I guess that one is truly my favourite piece of litearature at this moment. It is Ficciones (Fictions) by Jorge Luis Borges.