Favourite civilizations

Wow, where's the *snap* emoticon? :lol:

my $.02

I've recently discovered how much fun the Aztecs can be on lower/mid levels, so long as I don't get a cruddy jungle start. They get my "newest favorite" ranking, which was previously held by China.

If I'm just in the mood for a fun run, the French usually get my pick (although the AA can be scary at higher levels, and... well... pink :p)

Xerxes and the Persians are still at the top of my score charts, though, and I must say I'd rather play as them than against them. We're talking vanilla here, though, so my choices for favorite are more limited than y'alls :(

Darski said:
And it would appear that you are incapable of reading anything but what you write yourself. The title of the discussion is "Favourite Civilizations".

My favorite tribe *varies* with victory conditon, map type, and such. Portugal comes out as my *favorite* tribe for an upper level, high water probably small to huge (maybe tiny also) sized archipelago map 20k game with minimum opponents. I don't like them for a space race game or much else really. I like the Maya for historgraphic games and games where I don't care much about finish date. I don't favor them for a fast research game.

One simply doesn't uncover good information without argumentation (connected series of propositions). It's not everything, but just about every scientist and philosopher will attest that it has enough value.

I primarily play America & Rome for historical reasons, and Greece for their traits. I've played Babylon in the past for cultural victories.

I've been looking to expand my play with the Maya, Celts, and Vikings, but don't have the time.

My all time fave now is the Ottomans because they combine my two fave traits of sci and industrious with a fabulous later UU.

Actually, I tend to play by traits; the Civ has to have at least one of sci or industrious.

awwww...... I completely forgot about the Ottomans because I haven't played them in such a long time (to break my habit of always playing as them)

Huh? I never said you couldn't Optional. In terms of "likeable", I'll go with the Byzantines, because Theodora has a pretty face. Brennus looks old, Hammy looks weird, Otto looks stupid, Bill doesn't seem too bad, Smoke-Jaguar looks like an interesting alien, Ragnar scare me, Xerxes looks possessed (I could almost see his eyes flashing like he were a Goa'uld), Isabella must wear contacts or something, Caesar also seems like a Goa'uld, Cleopatra doesn't seem like one, she surely must be a Goa'uld, Alex has funny glasses, I'll take Peter the Great over Catherine the Great thank you, Mao doesn't seem too bad, Lincoln doesn't look like a lawyer, I like Tokugawa's goatee and mustache, but for the same reason I don't exactly trust him, what's with Joanie's horns?, I like Gandhi... I really should play him more, let's not make a deal with Monty, I like Hiawatha's feather, Lizzie has nice red hair, no comment on Temujin... Mongols in space indeed, Osman seems like a different sort of guy as does Abu Bakr, Hannibal must have lost his elephants in his beard, I like Wang Kon's mustache/goatee thing, but for the same reason I don't trust him, Gilgamesh seems plain cool... but I don't like facing him in an upper level tech race, Mursilis also seems like a Goa'uld, Henry is simply underrated and underutilized, Pachacuti moves too fast, and Shaka I think pretty cool, especially in the modern era. So, The Byzantines, The Dutch, The English, The Portuguese, The Sumerians, The Indians, The Iroquois, and The Zulu (who I *rarely if ever* play... but Shaka looks really cool, only Theodora beats him, because she's hot). So, by "likeable" that's who I "like".

Dude, really?

ROFL

I play on Monarch level of C3: Conquests. I really enjoy playing with the Persians and Ottomans, both having the Scientific/Industrious traits.

I do not like the Persians UU because they are super-strong Swordsmen, but mainly because they are very cheap versions of Medieval Infantry. I spend the Ancient Ages putting my core cities in place, land-grabbing for resources, building Marketplaces and trying to grow my city's population to the point where I can wage war in the Middle Ages with a good economy and production base. Being able to pop an Immortals out every 1-3 turns, as opposed to 2-5 turns for Medieval Infantry makes a huge difference (I always play with Accelerated Production turned on).

I like the Industrious trait because of the faster workers, which allows me to skimp on them more (1 per city) and also because it gives me more freedom on when to pop my Golden Age via Wonder building.

Also, I just loooooove cheap Libraries and Universities. Libraries kick ass for popping borders and increasing Scientific Research early in the game. And who doesn't love it when a SGL pops and you can indulge yourself with a free Wonder? One free tech at the start of each age is very nice, as well.

I enjoy the Ottomans for the same traits and because their UU comes at a very good time for conquest.

Other favorites:

Maya - Agri/Ind is really powerful for rapid expansion.

Sumeria - I expand faster with them than any other tribe. Enkidu Warriors make it so I'm not under-defended.

Greece - +1 free commerce with every city I have, plus cheaper libraries, universities and 25% less corruption due to OCN? Yes, please.

Iroqois - Agri/Commercial for reasons stated above, and Mounted Warriors aren't bad for war and are fantastic for upgrading up to Knights if you have Leo's.

Yeah, for your reasons of liking the Iroqois, they are very well played (as oppsosed to other civs) by the AI, giving them an edge in power over everyone else. the iroqois starting beside any average or worse civ is bad news.

I've always like japan because for their traits, which suits me well, plus the samurai kicks ass at the beginning of the medieval era, I usually build large stacks and set em loose on the neighbors

Some favourites:

Japan - because they start with The Wheel, which makes city planning a lot easier.
Sumeria - see sig :) - big fan of the Epic of Gilgamesh.
Hittites - Expansionist/Commercial is good for how I play at the moment.

Just conquered the entire map with Shaka; Impis are pretty good defenders.

Rome - though I've never managed to get a game to go "off" (as in a bomb) with them.
Russia - flavoursome as I lived out there for a while.

Top Bottom