1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite Religion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Bureaucracy, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Bureaucracy

Bureaucracy Chieftain

Most of us understand what an AI's favourite civic means. And lately, it has been included inside the GUI (nice touch firaxis) so we don't have to keep checking the civopedia.

I have to confess that I never paid too much attention to a civ's favourite religion though. I know some have them because it is listed in the manuals, but even the revamped GUI makes no indication to this. I also have yet to see a discussion on how the AI's behave exactly.

I guess if an AI has christianity as a fav. religion, that means you can always convert him/her to it from another, but not the othe way around? This is just a guess. I suppose depending on if they founded a religion also factors in somewhere. But I have yet to see this on paper anywhere.

2. Coast

Coast - Year of the Rabbit -

I think the only thing it really means is that the AI will choose that religion specifically if the 'Choose religions' option is on.

3. Arkatsson

Arkatsson Chieftain

I don't think they have a preferred religion (like France would want Christianity). Rather, if they founded it, they will stick with it, and usually the first religion they see they make it the state religion, thats how I got most of Europe (except Spain, but I destroyed their 1-city "Empire") Jewish. If there was a preferred religion, then atleast one of the Europeans would go Christian, it exists in my game (I founded it) and it has spread to some of Europe, so there is no preferred religion, just the religion needed for the situation they have.

4. reverend oats

reverend oats King

Prefered religion refers only to if "choose religions" is on. Then the AI will, if possible, found their favorite religion.

5. Bobbalouie

Bobbalouie Chieftain

It's actually quite handy to have choose religions on. After some practice, you can guess who founded the religion based on what was chosen, before you meet that civ.

6. Bureaucracy

Bureaucracy Chieftain

So by default, choose religion is set to off, just like PA is? In that case, I guess understanding this is useless for 99.9% of games. I was thinking I could take my game to the next level here, but at least I now know I wasn't missing out on something.

7. Verge

Verge Let's hug it out

Yeppers.

XCL

8. Blaarg

Blaarg Prince

The problem is, when the later religions occur, you can't tell which tech religons has been founded. If you want to found a religon, and there are 4 discovered, which should you go for? Theology or Code of Laws?

9. SevenSpirits

SevenSpirits Immortal?

It not true that favorite religion only applies to the choose religions option. In addition:

-The leader is 1.25 times as likely to choose their favorite religion. So for example, if Isabella has one city with Christianity and Taoism, she will convert to Christianity. Also, if she has 100 cities with both of those and one more with just Taoism, I would also expect her to convert to Christianity.

-The leader values founding the religion about twice as much as founding other religions (though the value is always randomized). This means that they are more likely to research a tech that gives them that religion.

I know this because I read the code just now.

10. reverend oats

reverend oats King

Really? That's good to know. Thanks.

11. Bureaucracy

Bureaucracy Chieftain

Well now, for something that maybe a little more simpler. How does warmonger respect come into the picture? I understand it goes by the difference. So, if Shaka (2) meets Roosevelt (0), then we have a difference of 2. How does this apply to them, I am not sure. Does R give +2 for Shaka, or does Shaka put -2 towards R?

12. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

They both have a -2 towards each other

Warmonger respect means you like those who are similar to you and dislike those different from you

13. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Deity

Look at a religious tech's portrait in the "choose a tech to research" menu. Assuming choose religions is on, the tech's portrait will have 2 hands clasped together in prayer in the bottom right corner if that tech has not been discovered by anyone yet. If it has been discovered, the hands won't be there.

If choose religion is off, instead of clasped hands, there will be a symbol specific to the corresponding religion. I.E Meditation will have a miniature buddha, Monotheism will have a star of David, Theology will have a cross, Philosophy will have a yin yang, and so forth.

14. Bureaucracy

Bureaucracy Chieftain

I took another look, and seems I was mistaken. It is not the difference of the two numbers that is used, but the lower number of the two that counts.

So now I am really confused. It doesn't explain HOW this is applied.

If one has 0, and the other has 2 then they both would be using 0 in their equations right?