1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite unique unit?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by weloveciv3, Feb 4, 2004.

1. weloveciv3

weloveciv3 Chieftain

What's everybody's favourite unique unit? I like the Greek Hoplite. It's so cheap and it's effective all the way until Calvary which is a very long time. It's a nightmare to fight against mass hoplites in the ancient era.

2. Xen

Xen Magister

legionaries, and hoplites- they got the look, and they got the stats to be the best for thier positions :D

3. Dignitas

Dignitas Chieftain

Gameplay wise I still like the Immortals most, I love to dominate the ancient battlefield when I play a militaristic game.

Optically the Mounted Warrior of the Iroquis.

4. Lorax

Lorax Chieftain

Ottoman Siphani's are awesome....Attack power of 8 is very much an advantage in the age of cavalry...Put them in an Army and nearly unstoppable all the way thru Infantry & Early Modern Age.....They slaughter Cavalry unmercifully and it is extremely fun to rape & pillage throughout the industrial age with these monsters...!!!

5. Admiral_Tarton

Admiral_Tarton Tactical Enforcer

My Immortals will conquer all!!!!!!!!

6. Ville

Ville Deity

Immortals, Sipahi, Javelin Thrower and Dromon:D

7. Tranquility

Tranquility Grand unifier

Panzers, there just cool. I also like Riders.

8. WarLust

WarLust Chieftain

Riders and Immortals for me.

9. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Sipahi: +8 attack is the most powerful in the world for a long time from late Middle Ages till Tanks. And it's a very beautiful unit!

Panzer: I am just using it wiping out the whole world right now. The extra movement makes the conquest much faster. Previously I'd have to use cavalry in many cases to attack a city, and that was difficult due to infantry and even riflemen. Now with Panzers it's a no-brainer. The only drawback is that this unit looks ugly.

Samurai: I haven't really used it yet, but it's 4/4/2 stats makes it a powerful unit for both offense and defense!! In my current game I've watched Japan fighting with almost all other CIVs _at the same time_! Of course it eventually fell apart but I was deeply impressed by the power and speed of Samurai, so my next game is Japan!!

Rider: I used it for a couple of times. Not bad too.

10. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

F-15s Baby, love filling the skies with these and bombing my enemy back into the stone age. With the addition of leathal land/sea bombard they are amazing. Hopefully a patch will let them stealth bombard like they were supposed to.

11. al_thor

al_thor Prince

The Galic Swordsman (Celts) is huge at 3.2.2. Especially if you can hold off on using him until Monarchy or Republic (for a more productive GA). I recently had an Army of them and it was extremely effective, even against Pikemen and Medevil Infantry. Horsemen and Archers drop like flies, and normal Swordsman run in fear. Also, being fast-moving, Galic has chance to retreat often which was awesome. Attack of 3 decent even against Knights.

The ARMY seems to be more effective overall in Conquests - heal faster, attack stronger, and it seemed like it even had bonus movement points.
    Always loved the Samurai though.
    Next game I will try the Sophani. Attack of 8 sounds land-sweeping!

12. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Sipahi, Ansar Warrior, Rider, Immortal, in approximately that order.

13. Bart2k4

Bart2k4 Cybernetic Abomination

Japanese Samurai!! Good defence and o.k. attack ;) . If I get an elite samurai, I call him: Ruroni Kenshin or Jubi...lol(anime reference)

14. Xavious Lomar

Xavious Lomar Chieftain

I was always partial to my "Fist of the North Star" elite Samurai. This one particular unit NEVER got hurt in any fight, even against superior opponents. I think it may have been a game bug, or just a goofy confluence of cool random number generation.

15. Emperor Xerxes

Emperor Xerxes Custom User Title? NEVER!

Immortal. Unbeatable for an early land grab, which is usually essential in my games.

16. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Man O War gave me a very pleasant surprise. Also the Egyptian war chariot was surprisinly effective- effectivly a cheap horseman that triggers an early GA - to build alot of them. A stack of 20 or so can quickly overwhelm neighbours very quickly.

17. Bart2k4

Bart2k4 Cybernetic Abomination

Hahaha! :rotfl:
    Thats awsome! Glade that we have some anime fans in here :saiyan: :D

18. silver 2039

silver 2039 Deity

My favorite unique unit's are the Siphi, Rider, Cossack, and Hussar.

19. Xavious Lomar

Xavious Lomar Chieftain

I have to say, all around, I like the Egyptians and Celts best.

War Chariot is cheap, early, and resource-independant. I got them, built one, got into a fight with the Japanese, entered a Golden Age, built about 400 or 500 thousand War Chariots (or maybe just thirty) and wipe them off the map.

Celts, also very similar... 3/2/2, for iron, and how can you NOT love those pants?

TO quote Blackadder:

Roman Georgius: "Why are we fighting the Celts again?"

Roman Adderus: "Because they are a threat to our mighty Empire."

Roman Georgius: "But we're Romans! We're smart, we're civilized! We have roads, art, music! We wipe out bottoms with scented papers!"

Roman Adderus: "Yes, and the Celts wipe their bottoms with Romans..."

20. AndrewN

AndrewN Prince

Wot he said :D

The improved attack and bombard are nice but the capture ability is excellent.

I played the first few turns of the Nepolnic campain in conquests.

First turn - move all the Man O War's (Men O War?) out to sea
    IBT - France moves all their ships out
    Second turn - no more French ships, 4 extra Man O War's :love: