1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fealty Oddity

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by ElliotS, Feb 26, 2018.

1. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

So in my current game both the Ottomans and myself founded religions and went Fealty. The problem is that due to the pressure policy, both of use get more pressure from the other person's religion than our own in each of our cities. This creates a very awkward situation where tons of our faith needs to be used on clearing our own cities of foreign faith non-stop.

I'm starting to think fealty should always apply double pressure from your founded religion to your own cities. It's bad enough that genocide seems like the only solution.

2. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Problem with that is it makes conversion exceptionally difficult for anyone else, as now your main cities have incredible religious pressure stored up.

3. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

Should it really be anything other than exceptionally difficult to convert a religious FOUNDER with fealty?

If you think it shouldn't be so hard, do you think it shouldn't provide increased pressure to cities owned by another founder, with his founded religion as the majority?

This situation is really annoying, though I suppose founding is still beneficial so this could be seen as a needed nerf.

My real concern is that this makes me feel the ONLY play-choice is to crush any nearby religion out of existence. I feel like that's an annoying pigeonholing scenario.

4. Deadstarre

Deadstarre Expert

Isabella wants a word

5. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

What if you wanted to switch religions. Like letting religion A spread, produce their followers' buildings, then switch to another religion to get both benefits? This would be much difficult if fealty bonus only worked for your official religion, isn't it? Other than that, I wouldn't like to see fealty giving huge benefits to religion while the other policy trees do nothing. This makes fealty the go to policy for any religious play. Much as Artistry is the go to policy for any civ interested in Great People.

6. Workerspam

Workerspam Prince

There are additional tools; multiple follower buildings and several enhancers can all help increase your religious pressure, both internal and external.

Is it possible that this is an edge case? That the map and expansion pattern created a perfect storm for your two founding civs to face excessive external pressure? I've played a ton of games as a fealty founder, including many against fellow founding fealty civs and cannot recall a situation where I had to expend excessive faith to ward off external pressure. So if it can occasionally happen I'm inclined to chalk that up as a tribute to VP replay-ability rather than something that needs fixing.

LukaSlovenia29 and Txurce like this.
  7. Amask

Amask Oogala Boogala

Not sure how I feel about fealty specifically, but I'm starting to appreciate various faith buildings more, for situations similar to this.
    I almost never picked them, usually there is something better. Like mastery back in the day, or inspiration, or veneration if you want to spread hard, which you usually want to.
    But in a situation like this, or next to India, faith buildings suddenly seem way more appealing. Maybe that's a good thing?

ElliotS likes this.
  8. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

Yeah with more reflection I probably should have picked religious buildings, regardless of wanting more yields. There's always room to improve! :)

Viralvoid and LukaSlovenia29 like this.