1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fear bug

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by psychoak, Oct 23, 2007.

1. psychoak

psychoak Warlord

Anyone else noticing a distinct lack fear conquering strength advantages? Hyborem tried to attack bueboes at 99.6% or some such, fear stopped him. Rosier, same thing, high percentage, stopped by fear. I must have tried a dozen time to attack a fear causing unit at 99% or better and failed them all.

Before .25 I'd have maybe 25% of my units get scared of the dragon trying to take him down at 2-3%, now I can't seem to attack anything that causes fear regardless of it's strength.

I'm kinda wondering if maybe the first try gets locked in as the result for all successive fear checks or something, I'm sure I have to have attacked one some time without getting scared.

2. Civkid1991

Civkid1991 in shade of poison trees

yea i had a similar problem.. i dont think its a bug but rather a thing of balance. My goal at the time was to destroy Acheron. I had trained the right units and had everything planed out but when i got to the dragon i was unable to attack (Not even with the hero i had brought along). The only way for me to get around this was to unwillingly use one of my mana nodes to make a spirit mana so that i can train one of my adapts to case courage... i pretty much gave up the game before i got to this due to frustration.

3. Kael

Kael Deity

In 0.30 ("shadow") Ive changed it to be more random (so it isnt so deterministic when attackign a creature with a higher strength). Based on your post I also noticed that demons arent correctly marked as immune to fear, I'll fix that too.

4. psychoak

psychoak Warlord

I take it the actual strength is being used instead of the remaining strength? A full strength bueboes being used as the decider would have made more sense, but the guy was a freebee down at 6 strength.

5. Demus

Demus King

in the case of acheron, not even units with a higher strenght value can kill him off (a unit with a mod 20+ str, and over 70% of winning against him full-strength, will still get scared 99% of the time). I didn't see spells like meteor get affected though, next time bring some fire mages?

6. ZhugeTien

ZhugeTien Enlightened Despot

Fire magi might work if Acheron weren't magic-immune. It'd be good for whittling down that stack of orcs he likes to sit on, though (even though they're slightly resistant to fire...)

7. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

Spirit Mana is very useful IMO (especially if you think you can build the Shrine of Sirona), one of its strengths is exactly the Courage spell. Saying you are FORCED to build a Spirit Mana to have the Courage spell is a bit like saying you are forced to build a Fire Mana to have fireballs and meteor storms. I wouldn't say you are forced: you want *that* spell, then you build *that* node. Pretty straight forward... each mana type has its good things.

8. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

So what happens when you attack a unit with Fear with a unit that has Fear?

Well, I attacked Acheron the Red Dragon with my Abashi the Black Dragon and my guy was too afraid to attack one of his own kind. He had more XP and promotions that Acheron too. Even his Meteors withdrew in Fear. Meteors!

This didn't seem right to me, but without Spirit Mana/Courage, I had to just keep trying and finally after many attempts Acheron went down.

OFF TOPIC:

There is an animated ad banner for Saw IV at the top of this forum that is making it for tough for me to read/post here. I am using an old computer with a bad dial-up connection. Is there any way I can block animated crap like that? Thanks.

9. BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone Windbag of the sea

Who wouldn't want spirit mana? Extra GPP, Shrine of Sirona and Tower of Divination not enough for you even without Courage? :crazyeye:

What's your browser? In Opera it's easy enough to block, Firefox has the excellent FlashBlockand AdBlock plugins which do the job nicely for me. There may well be ways to do it in IE, but I'd heartily recommend switching to FF anyhow.

10. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

Thanks for your advice and also to the kind souls who responded in PMs.

I am using Firefox, but on a very old computer (Pentium 133 with 64mb RAM) at my mother's while visiting in the USA. Also, she has a terrible JUNO dialup connection. I've pretty much resigned myself to fighting with the banners vs. trying to download any blocking software with her setup.

Interestingly, I am playing FFH2 on a much more powerful computer with Vista, but I have no internet connectivity to access this forum with that one. I guess I just have to wait until I return to Thailand next month for a better way of doing things.\

Thanks again. :)

11. Jean Elcard

Jean Elcard The Flavournator

Fear is still really annoying in 0.30f. I don't know, how many times I tried, but I never came through to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse with my highly promoted Heroes and Vampires. I finally had to finish them down with tons of summoned skeletons, which had the unpleasant side effect of increasing war weariness to till then unknown heights. (I was at war with the Elohim at the same time, but didn't lose many units in their land.)

Now I'm facing the Avatar of Wrath and I'm not sure how to kill this guy. The bad ones seem to pop up only in my territory. The world around me is rapidly going to hell in a handbasket. I think I should have never have let it come that far.

12. Grillick

Grillick Prince

Playing as the Doviello once, I had my War Machine with Combat V, Mobility II, and Blitz try to kill Acheron. It took all his movement, but he eventually managed it, on the fifth attempt in that turn.

13. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

14. Breunor

Breunor Deity

I also found that non-living units (liek catapults) are affected by fear. But youc annot even cast courage on them! I would think catapults and other non-living would be immune to fear.

Best wishes,

Breunor