1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fearing for their safety

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by yanner39, Jun 24, 2010.

1. yanner39

yanner39 Emperor

I always thought I needed a garrison in the city when my population reached 4. However, the other day my capital was at a pop of 3 but had 4 unhappies - 3 of them was because they was were crowded and one was fearing or its safety. Is this accurate or a possible bug?

2. vicawoo

vicawoo Chieftain

Accurate, but you have 5 happiness base, 4 warlords.

3. yanner39

yanner39 Emperor

Thanks. I don't know why I though it was 4 pop people starting getting upset. I've been playing Prince/Monarch now for a few months and only noticed it the other day.

4. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

Because you were remembernig your capital which has the palace so it can reach 4 without garrison and 5 with garrison. The other cities only 3 without and 4 with garrison.

5. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

I love how easy it is to appease the people's need for protection. In the age when your enemies are rampaging around with modern armour and mechs, a naked guy with a stick is still quite adequate to make the citizens feel secure.

6. Deadlylamp

Deadlylamp Chieftain

Yeah, i've got a guy in my town named Phil who does the same thing. I've always felt safe.

7. yanner39

yanner39 Emperor

Actually, I re-started a game today and in my capital, citizens are giving me an attitude at size 3. So at size 3, I have a +4 :mad:. I dunno....

8. Carboniferous

Carboniferous Warlord

Unhappiness due to no garrison increases by one for every extra 3 population, starting from a base of zero. So, one unhappy point for 3 population seems correct to me.

The formula is INT(334 * population / 1000).

Funnily enough, helicopter gunships don't count as garrison units, so watch out when you upgrade a bunch of cavalry!

9. Carboniferous

Carboniferous Warlord

Double post

10. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

Thanks. I never knew the math. That bit with helicopter gunships has always struck me as ridiculous. I regard it as a bug we have to live with.

11. obsolete

obsolete Deity

Careful there, you're going to get all the Firaxis Fan-Boys out there to chew you up for saying that...

12. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

I usually end up trying to upgrade my garrison troops, even though I know I don't need to from a game mechanics standpoint. It just seems /wrong/ to have your capital defended by a longbowman when you're the world superpower. :lol:

13. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

Ooh, a longbowman, aren't we fancy? Naked, 6000 year-old guy with a stick not good enough for ya eh? :p

14. mgsmuhammad

mgsmuhammad Resident Stalker

No, no he isn't.
    :p
    Then again, that could be because the Byzantines landed a massive medieval stack on a one-tile peninsula, meaning they HAD to attack the Riflemen hordes in Berlin or get back on their boats. :crazyeye:

But, i'm not complaining about the free XP. :)

15. Casper84

Casper84 Chieftain

Funny how your citizens aren't fearing for their safety if you have 1 warrior on a city in the age of tanks. :run:

16. lasombra1984

lasombra1984 Prince

IMO it would be better to get Fearing for safety & Heredtary Rule bonuses not from unit numbers but from something like Power Rating. For example Archer has Power Rating 10, which decays to 5 in medieval, to 1 in Reneissance & to 0 in Industrial
    Thus Hereditary Rule could be a 1 happy face/ N power rating

17. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

:rotfl:
    I don't know why the unit should matter. A few guys with clubs should be enough disperse the idlers and tell them to "get your lazy ass back to work".

18. Udey1

Udey1 Prince

The unhappy face reason pop up says " We fear for our safety, we demand military protection"

If it said "we need motivation" then it shouldn't matter.

19. Alki

Alki Prince

The Vatican still has pikemen. The Tower of London still has Beefeaters etc.

20. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

I don't know about the Pikemen, but the Beefeaters are retired NCO's from the armed forces. So, they're basically an infantry unit that provides +1 :commerce: +2 :culture: +1 :) as long as they're garrisoned in the city. :D