[Feature] Europe Trades

M07

Prince
The economic system of DoaNE has been refund.

Old System
Before the v6.00, the yields price was randomly increasing or decreasing.
For a temporary system, it was fine but this system had several issues:
- Players did not have any control on market price
- Each nations were inside a private market.

In real life, money is often the main reason for wars. When markets are not private but shared, tensions happens and can be transformed to war.

Open Market
In order, to create this kind of tensions, we have created an open market in Europe.
As player, we still sell to our king, it does not change.
However, our king will sell resources to other Europe countries.
That means selling in Europe, will have an impact on other Europeans markets.

Price Calculation
Two factors are used to calculate the price of raw yields (Tobacco, Cotton, Sugar, Indigo, ..)

Europe Needs:
This need evolves randomly for each yield, and follows some patterns. This value represents the European interest about a resource. More this value is high, more Europeans will consume more of this product and the price will increase.

Quantity Stocked:

This value is the quantity of resources that Europe own. More Europe owns a resource and more the price will decrease.
If Europe is able to sell the stock to other countries, the quantity stocked will be low and the price will remain high.

Consequences
If several player sells the same resource, the Quantity stocked will decrease for all players. That means the price of this resources will also decrease for everyone.
As a player, you could in purpose sell a lot of a resource, if you know that your opponent has based all his economy by producing a unique resource.

In case of War between two Europeans, the trade is stopped between this two countries. This can bring good opportunities for some Europeans and complication for other.

Trade Visualization
We have created a new screen to see all yields trade between Europe king.
It helps a lot to see who sell a specific resource and who is our commercial opponent,
Spoiler :

Europe Needs Visualization
In Europe, you will be able to visualize the Europe needs for a specific yields.
More over, the most and less needed yields will be visible in the economic screen.
Spoiler :

Feel free to give your feedback about this feature. Enjoy.

Great update! :thumbsup:

If several player sells the same resource, the Quantity stocked will decrease for all players. That means the price of this resources will also decrease for everyone.
I believe it should read like this? "If several player sells the same resource, the Quantity stocked will increase for all players."

I generally like the idea of a living and competetive market. How do you intend players to change their style since this update? I can imagine they would want to make their production very diverse so that they don't have to rely on a high price of few comodities. Therefore they would probably want to colonize the equator the most, since the latitude around there favours most crops.
Once I have some production established, what advanced market tactics you mean me to apply? It seems to me that there is no reason to delay sales, even if the price is low. If I do, I will just reach a warehouse limit in several turns. Of course it all depends on how quickly can a comodity grow in demand again. I can imagine to send a galleon full of peanuts on one run and then full of indigo on another run, thus to allow a refresh in demand between runs. What about AI, how does it react to low demand and price drop? If they don't care, could a demand ever recover once their production is large enough?
Another approach that comes to mind is that I can switch to processing industry and eg. produce rum instead to sell sugar canes once the sugar market is saturated. Is that the idea? Am I expected to reorganize in later eras and abandon crops that can't be processed, eg. peanuts? After all these invested turns and money in leveling up these farms?

Related question; is there any benefit to me if I am the biggest supplier of a comodity to Europe? Any benefit if my country in Europe sells reserves to other countries?

Hello @Kvinkunx,
I believe it should read like this? "If several player sells the same resource, the Quantity stocked will increase for all players."
That is correct. My bad.

How do you intend players to change their style since this update? I
In my game, I have changed several times my production in order to produce what Europe really needs. Even if you have a lot of choice in the equator, Europe may only need to have the coffee. So you know, that your priority is to produce this resource.
Btw, I will add the hemp for the 6.1.0. This new resource will be available in the same latitude than tobacco.

what advanced market tactics you mean me to apply?
You should not delay sales, if you want to have correct prices. However, i could be a good strategy if you want to decrease the market price of a resources for all Europeans,

If they don't care, could a demand ever recover once their production is large enough?
For the moment, they care about the market price. A demand can recover, if the needs increase or if you stop one of the European sells (destroy his plants, attack transport fleet)

Another approach that comes to mind is that I can switch to processing industry and eg. produce rum instead to sell sugar canes once the sugar market is saturated.
That is not the right approach. Manufactured goods should not be sold in Europe.
You should see in the new screen, who is selling sugars and think to stop the sells for this European,

is there any benefit to me if I am the biggest supplier of a comodity to Europe?
There is indeed. When you are providing a resource to everyone, your market price for all Europeans will decrease. So if they produce or sell times to times this resource they will receive less money.

Any benefit if my country in Europe sells reserves to other countries?
For the moment not really, but I have in mind to get rewards when you are the best European seller. Like free units, etc..

Moreover, this part was important for the next change on DoaNE. We want to add King missions. For a first step, we want to only focus on war missions.
Wars will be more meaningful, because they will be related to an economic aspect. For instance, if two Europeans sell sugars in Europe, tensions will appears between the two players.

Hi M07,

In my game, I have changed several times my production in order to produce what Europe really needs. Even if you have a lot of choice in the equator, Europe may only need to have the coffee. So you know, that your priority is to produce this resource.
Btw, I will add the hemp for the 6.1.0. This new resource will be available in the same latitude than tobacco.
Hemp will sure be a welcome addition.
I like the basic idea that you have to effectively rebuild. It somewhat reminds me of a key feature of my favourite board game Advanced Civilization.
What level were those farms on average when you switched production and how often you had to switch? It seems to me that you would hardly want to spend time and money on a higher farm level than, say, 4, if there was a fair chance that you would have to switch to another crop now and then.

That is not the right approach. Manufactured goods should not be sold in Europe.
You should see in the new screen, who is selling sugars and think to stop the sells for this European,
Oh! I haven't really realized until now that manufactured goods and silver are not subject to european demand at all.

For the moment not really, but I have in mind to get rewards when you are the best European seller. Like free units, etc..
Cool. This is one of the many things that makes this mod unique to me. The king is actually useful and generous here and then. :king: Not just the greedy bastard from the vanilla version.

Moreover, this part was important for the next change on DoaNE. We want to add King missions. For a first step, we want to only focus on war missions.
Wars will be more meaningful, because they will be related to an economic aspect. For instance, if two Europeans sell sugars in Europe, tensions will appears between the two players.
Excellent. Wars already are a pretty serious business to me. In last save, I have decided to reduce enemy expansion. Burned one of their cities down and captured 4 wagons. Before I managed to return troops home, I got barely enough money to buy enough Trade goods and sail away to trade before sinking into temporary debt.

Top Bottom