[Feature] How works the bombardment in DoaNE?

M07

Prince
First of all, thank you to Nexus1980 for his questions about cannons in DoaNE.
It is true that we have changed this concept in the game without really inform anyone how this unit works.

1) Not more a specific unit but a profession

For people who doesn't know yet. We have added two resources (Cannons and ammunition) in DoaNE.
A colonist will be able to have the artilleryman profession if you have enough 40 cannons in the city. We know 40 cannons in our games is expensive, specially at the beginning of the game. (The cannon price in Europe decreases after the new era 2 and 3).

In the Vanilla version, you were able to create artillerymen in the arsenal. It is well know that with tools we can create humans that can attack colonies :D
So, now you should have a unit that take the profession artilleryman.

2) The power of fortification
In order to explain why cannons are useful, I have to explain you how the colony fortification works.
We have currently four fortification levels :
  1. Chevaux de Frise (10 pts of defense)
  2. Stockade (30 pts of defense)
  3. Fort (70 pts of defense)
  4. Fortress (100 pts of defense)
Above 40 pts of defense, the city obtains an extra bonus of protection in order to be protected against direct attack.
In the screenshot below, I am trying to attack the city with the soldier that have exactly the same strength than the defender inside the colony.
Spoiler :

As you can see, my chance to win this battle is 0.8% :eek:.
So I will not sacrifice my unit :)
In order to attack the colony, I have to reduce the colony defense, otherwise all my soldiers would die in terrible pain :(.
So now is the time to introduce our dear artillerymen.

3) The power of artillerymen

This profession is really different than others.
Indeed, this unit cannot die when it bombards. You will may be say it is obvious but in the Vanilla version, cannons are just units that have a promotion to be better in colonies attack like soldiers could have and could die after an attack.
In another hand, this unit doesn't have any defense point. So it is really important to protect them with soldiers !!
Moreover, the ammunition consummation is high, so think to have a military wagon train with ammunitions in order to resupply your cannons.

We have try to do something realistic with our cannons. In certain conditions, this unit will not be able to bombard or will have difficulties to do that.
In order to be efficient, your cannon has to be on a hill and your target should be on a flat land. But if your are not in this configuration, your unit will do less damages that you could expect.

I will give give you some examples :
When I try from a forest tile to bombard a colony, it will appear that it is impossible because cannon cannot bombard throw forest. (It can evolve but for the moment it is like that)
Spoiler :

When I try from a light forest tile to bombard a colony, it will appear that it is possible but with some penalties.
Spoiler :

When I try from a hill tile to bombard a colony, it will appear that it is possible but with some penalties (less than on light forest)
Spoiler :

So you have understood that if you want to be efficient, you will have to choose carefully from where you will bombard a colony.

For the moment, we can't bombard from a colony, but it will change on the 5.20
If you want to see all this penalty rules, you can have a look on the XML file
GameInfo/CIV4ArtilleryPenaltyInfos.xml

4) Your mission: Open a breach!

As I have mentioned previously, above 40 pts of defense, the city obtains an extra bonus. Your goal is to decrease the city defense below this value. You will receive an information when you will succeed.

Spoiler :

When they are bombarding a colony, they can do collateral damages and even destroy wagon trains units. it's random events after each bombardment.
See below the damages I have done to this poor Spanish civilization :p
Spoiler :

5) Finish it !

This is the time to attack with our soldiers. After this bombardment phase, I can see that I have reduced the fortification, and hurt the soldier in the colony. Let's see what is the combat odds.

Spoiler :

TaDa! More than 50%. Missions accomplished. Just for your information, in DoaNE when a military unit has more or equal than 50% of combat odds, you will be certain than he will never die. But of course, instead of dying he will withdraw.

I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial. ;)

I have always loved the cannons and the ammunition feature in DoaNE! :worship: :)

It makes fighting much more challenging (and IMHO also more realistic) when you have to deal with supply and keep your eye on the production ratio of guns/ammo.

I really LOVE these feature, even if the AI can't handle it properly yet... :crazyeye:

Thnx M07 for explaining. it certainly helped to uncover the real power of the cannon :)

I'm also glad to see that making a breach in a enemy city you can discover resources.. :D:D :joke:

And yes i know...:stupid:

Any idea yet when the 5.1 version will be available for download? :cooool::thanx:

Hey M07,

I have planned it around the 16th of July.

We're looking forward to it. :)

I didn't understand , sorry? What did you mean?

When you look at the picture of 4)Your mission: Open a breach!
You get the message : The New Netherlands have discovered a new resource peanuts.

was just laughing when i saw it :D

Thanks again!

When you look at the picture of 4)Your mission: Open a breach!
You get the message : The New Netherlands have discovered a new resource peanuts.

was just laughing when i saw it
Ha ha, when I have done the screenshot I have seen the message but I said to myself "No one will notice it" :D.

So if the AI cannot use cannons, does this mean there is no point playing until WoI, as the King's forces will be utterly unable to assault your cities?

So if the AI cannot use cannons, does this mean there is no point playing until WoI, as the King's forces will be utterly unable to assault your cities?

It would be less interested for sure, but I have done one game in June until the WoI.
The king has succeeded to capture my main city :'(. I cry every night since this day :)
Thanks to his huge fleets, he was able to reduce my fortress defense and then capture my city.

See the related post http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=569805

However, for the moment I am focusing more my work for the two first eras.

Top Bottom