1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Feature] Limited Resource Effects

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

They could return to flat health, or some other effect, not sure.

2. Ogi123

Ogi123 The End is the Beginning is the End

Public transportation can have it vanilla effect. Park could have become :) and/or :health: building.
    So currently we have situation that resources give benefit to one to three cities? perhaps standardizing this to one resource per three cities would be way to go.
    I have constructed sewers and other :health: buildings in 1.15 and this branch. It's simply not enough :health: when power buildings get you :yuck::yuck: per one, add to this corporations and towns and situation becomes ugly.
    By risk I mean that having to much cities risk that some of them will not have crucial :health:/:) resource.
    About :health: from buildings, perhaps get some of those on ones that currently are only useful with resources? For example smokehouse +1:health:, pharmacy +2:health: etc.

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Well, just like you have the choice not to put culture into cities that don't need resources, you have the choice not to build all buildings that consume power and instead make a choice. I don't know why you are using words like risk when all of these things are completely under your control.

Have you considered that making a decision between two different choices is a deliberate goal of these changes? What you are advocating for is a playstyle that allows straightforward power stacking without any obstacles. That is the exact thing these changes are supposed to make harder.

4. Ogi123

Because this is no decision at all? What I mean that this makes small non industrialised cities thoroughly useless. So we are going back to optimal strategy of mega cities and razing rest.

5. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I acknowledged the problem of mega cities like five posts ago, if you have no further point to make why do you keep arguing?

6. Ogi123

Look I understand what you want to do in theory. Forcing player to make some choices in what to build is good idea.
    I just want to inform you that it won't work in practice, forced with that type of choice player who understand mechanics will take third way of stacking bonuses in mega cities and roleplaying mongol horde.

7. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

That does not answer my question.

8. Novicenoble

Novicenoble Prince

I think the numbers of resources need to supply to cities are different from each other per their types. For example, in my current game, I need 3 pigs are required for Monterrey, but 9 rices and 5 fishes are required for the same city. Are there any rules in the text so I can find out about it?

9. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

You can find how much cities a single copy of a resource can supply in the pedia.

In general it follows this pattern:
    Happiness
    Hit resources: 10 cities
    All other: 3 cities

Health
    Animals (available by camp or pasture): 3 cities
    Seafood (available by fishing boats): 2 cities
    Grains (available by farms or rice paddies): 1 city

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  10. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Also, building effects from resources do not need the resource. Smokehouse giving Health with Cows, Mines giving Happiness with Gold, etc.

11. h0spitall3rz

h0spitall3rz Grand Vizier of Your Mind

To clarify, building effects from resources need only one copy of the resource in the whole realm, regardless of whether the city actually has access to it through the limited resource mechanics.

Crimean Lord, Enyavar and 1SDAN like this.
  12. Hussarknight

Hussarknight Warlord

How to turn off this ''limited resource'' feature?

13. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Building effects such as granaries giving health from grain resources don't require access to the resource, which very much helps in low culture cities.

As for disabling it, you can either mod and recompile the DLL or revert to the previous version.

14. Hussarknight

Hussarknight Warlord

I.e. not any really ideal options imo

Does it really make sense that the city where the resource is collected or produced does not benefit from it? Aside from economically. Maybe it is more sensible for luxury goods, but for food resources wouldn't the local communities and farmers consume it first themselves until they have had enough before exporting it to other cities? Isn't it then basically like a hungry man selling off his only meal? Very counter-intuitive. Or am I missing something?

Publicola likes this.
  15. Jarlaxe Baenre

Jarlaxe Baenre Emperor

They're not getting the resource benefits, but they do get the building benefits.

And often, that's what happened. Not exactly a capitalist farmer selling his grain, but a feudal farmer having to give his grain, or a colony having to give its grain, etc..

Krieger-FS, 1SDAN and Imp. Knoedel like this.
  16. Hussarknight

Hussarknight Warlord

Ok, but even in a feudal society the farmer didn't have to give ALL his produce. He could keep some for himself

17. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Yes, and that's represented by the food gained from working the tile. Resources represent the abundance of a particular type.

People have had access to iron far before the invention of the Bloomery, but they didn't have enough of it to base an entire unit of an army around it. Just because a skirmisher doesn't require an iron resource doesn't mean they don't have some iron javelinheads and just because a Farm isn't on a wheat tile doesn't mean they aren't growing wheat.

Also, modding the game to remove the resource scarcity mechanic is stupid easy. IIRC from when I was looking at it, all you have to do is comment out a line or two and add return true in its place. Let me see if I can build you the DLL you're asking for.

18. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

CvCity.cpp
    Code:
    // Leoreth
    bool CvCity::hasBonusEffect(BonusTypes eBonus) const
    {
        return getNumBonuses(eBonus) > 0;
        //return getNumBonuses(eBonus) * GC.getBonusInfo(eBonus).getAffectedCities() > getCultureRank();
    }
    I added // before return getNumBonuses(eBonus) * GC.getBonusInfo(eBonus).getAffectedCities() > getCultureRank();
    and return getNumBonuses(eBonus) > 0; on either the line above or below it. Doesn't matter which.

Just replace the DLL in the attached ZIP with the DLL file of the same name in RFC Dawn of Civilization/Assets

Attached Files:

19. Hussarknight

Hussarknight Warlord

Wow, thanks man! And thanks for helping me understand it. It makes sense now the way you put it

1SDAN likes this.
  20. SBlack

SBlack Chieftain

Could resource surplus be transformed in to the food with some end-tech building. Like +5 % food per surplus health or happines. It would incentivize in modern times to modernize your cities and build infrastructure and could somewhat represent immigrantion.

Dragonxander PR likes this.