Feature/mod request/proposal - military unit trading

Tekamthi

Emperor
Hello VP'rs... I've become a bit of a lurker on these boards due to competing interests for my time, but greatly enjoy tuning back into the discussion here every few weeks. Probably spend more time reading here than playing over the past year! Finally have some solid time coming up to look back at old mods I was working on, or contributions on others...

Anyway there's one vanilla aspect that I miss greatly, that was disabled a few years ago in vp... Ability to give units to other civs (not just CS). I understand that it was unbalanced against AI the way it was implemented, but it's a bit of a loss on MP games... I'm aware of a switch under the hood to turn it back on, but I agree that the old way wasn't good..

Wondering if it would be possible to implement as a diplomacy menu item? Ie part of the existing trades between civs? I can almost imagine how I'd do this in Lua, though not quite... Any comments?

Hello VP'rs... I've become a bit of a lurker on these boards due to competing interests for my time, but greatly enjoy tuning back into the discussion here every few weeks. Probably spend more time reading here than playing over the past year! Finally have some solid time coming up to look back at old mods I was working on, or contributions on others...

Anyway there's one vanilla aspect that I miss greatly, that was disabled a few years ago in vp... Ability to give units to other civs (not just CS). I understand that it was unbalanced against AI the way it was implemented, but it's a bit of a loss on MP games... I'm aware of a switch under the hood to turn it back on, but I agree that the old way wasn't good..

Wondering if it would be possible to implement as a diplomacy menu item? Ie part of the existing trades between civs? I can almost imagine how I'd do this in Lua, though not quite... Any comments?

There's some old Firaxis code for unit trading that was never fully implemented; it can conceivably be done, yeah.

I take that this is unfinished, in the DLL somewhere? Or is it modder accessible at all in its current form? Ie Lua/SQL?

You can see small remnants of it in the DealClasses.cpp DLL file. Not modder accessible in current form, hardly any work is done on it. But if you can trade Cities, it should be possible to edit the code to make Unit trade possible. No idea how to do that personally, though. :)

You can see small remnants of it in the DealClasses.cpp DLL file. Not modder accessible in current form, hardly any work is done on it. But if you can trade Cities, it should be possible to edit the code to make Unit trade possible. No idea how to do that personally, though. :)
thanks for the pinpoint! i'll save this thought for if i get really ambitious, though as i return to modding i wont be in the dll just yet

anyone aware of any mods that add trade items via existing mechanisms? or that replicate it through other buttons/menus?

Last edited:
Top Bottom