1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Feature Overview video

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Kibikus

Kibikus Chieftain

If you look at the left chart, the global contribution is 464, while Canada's is 553. On the right is your contribution (in this case, Canada, I cut the rest of the screen where you can see you're playing Laurier), which is 464 in total, different from 553.

Josephias likes this.
  2. Josephias

Josephias Chieftain

That's the reason the secon chart sums the exact amount of Canada's CO2 production.[/QUOTE]
    yep. Did not notice on first sight, just came from editing. :hammer2:

Stilgar08 likes this.
  3. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Warlord

I think Civ4 had a version of diseases in the form of "health"? And it had natural disasters, but as events that only have minimal effect in your play overall. I think the bad weather as a game-changing mechanic is a new thing introduced in GS.

Mind you we are only getting diseases in the Black Death scenario, not in the base expansion.

4. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

What's interesting is that one might assume that CL since it is rule by corporations, would get an extra economic card but in GS, it gets an extra military card instead. DD gets an extra diplomatic card. I think we can assume that ST will get the extra economic card. So I guess we can look at it as ST will be very efficient since it is rule by an AI, so the higher efficiency translates into a better economy. CL favors military because corporations like war (think military-industrialist complex, war fuels the demand for weapons which corporations can meet) and DD favors diplomacy because the people want to enjoy peace and tourism so they want good relationships with other countries. At least that is how I think GS might be interpreting these governments. It's not necessarily how I would do the governments. Of course, we don't know the government bonuses yet. The government bonuses may put a different interpretation on the governments.

DWilson and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  5. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Warlord

What I'm afraid of is that these labels are arbitrary, made up just to sound "future-y".

DWilson and Zaarin like this.
  6. Josephias

Josephias Chieftain

And there go my dreams of skyneth… I'm quite sloppy today in catching things: indeed CL is the domination one. Your analysis is good, tough.

Soo… change movie

Spoiler :

7. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Yeah, I suspect the devs started with wanting governments to fulfill a certain gameplay role. So they wanted a government for domination victory, a government for the science victory and a government for the culture victory and then designed some bonuses to do that and then just picked names that sounded cool.

yeah, I suspect that CL is the domination government and will probably get a bonus to producing units. ST is the science victory government and will probably get a bonus to rush buying buildings or districts or maybe a bonus to projects so that you can use it on the space projects. DD will be the culture victory government and will get a bonus to tourism with your allies. That's my guest.

All this talk of future governments like technocracies is making me want to play SMAC again. :)

8. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Basically all three future governments are nightmare fuel: digital democracy, corporatocracy, or social planning based on AI. :p

Kjimmet, Caprikel, CivLuvah and 2 others like this.
  9. Phrozen

Phrozen Chieftain

As history has shown, democracies even limited ones are no less warlike than any other form of government.

Siptah and Zaarin like this.
  10. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Chieftain

I would if it also gave 2 housing, which is more important than food to growth. It won't be enough to buff coastal cities by itself but it's definitely a good tile improvement, mostly considering that the only other option is fishery, which give only 1 food on tiles that aren't adjacent to a sea resource. Seastead will synergize well with fishery, so the food you get with some good fisheries isn't "wasted" for lack of housing. It's also an improvement that won't rely on Liang being there to be built. The only problem I see is that it's a late game improvement, so it come too late to do much good. It also seem more like an improvement added to counter the effects of global warming than something meant to buff coastal cities. If you're losing tiles to rising sea levels, that's a good alternative to solve any issue that might bring.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  11. Phrozen

Phrozen Chieftain

Even worse, it is a economy planning AI.

CivLuvah and Zaarin like this.
  12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Weird how the future of governance is always terrifying. Even when sci-fi has a utopian future, they rarely discuss the intricacies of government. Does Star Trek explore how the Federation rules so many planets and how it affects the lives of it's people? Not so much. They just gloss over it and say that technology provides for all wants.

Kjimmet, Guandao, CivLuvah and 2 others like this.
  13. Phrozen

Phrozen Chieftain

Star Trek is a utopian fantasy. Sure, replicators will fix the scarcity problem for many products but status, prestige, and scarcity will just shift to other things like that totally hand made non-replicated dodad. Money will never go away.

CivLuvah and Zaarin like this.
  14. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I'm hoping they can explain research that led them to those names and the relevant effects.

WRT to future governments generally sounding dystopian, just look at Beyond Earth. Purity is basically Nazis in space (sub Aryan and Germany with Human and Earth), Supremacy is basically the Cybermen of Dr. Who, and Harmony is basically mad science (analogy forgotten). The hybrids aren't much better, either. Supremacy/Harmony leads to the Daleks of Dr. Who, Harmony/Purity is basically transhumanism leading to an attempt to become gods, and Purity/Supremacy is essentially a Wall-E future of humans that use machines to do literally everything for them (which ultimately subsequently controls their entire lives).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Guandao and CivLuvah like this.
  15. Haig

Haig Warlord

In part 1:33 you can see anti-tank units wearing the "Brodie" helmets. used by British, Commonwealth, Indian, Polish etc. armies in World Wars

16. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Taken to an extreme, yes, they would all be horrible. DD would certainly be a nightmare if there were no checks and balances because it would basically mean absolute populism where laws would be whatever a majority wants no matter how impractical, dumb or unrealistic the policies might actually be. Heck, you could even have a situation where if a majority hates a minority group, they could vote laws that discriminate and persecute that minority group. So definitely a very scary society to live in depending on who you are. CL would basically be Ayn Rand's wet dream where corporations rule supreme and greed is the ultimate goal. Anyone who cannot work would be left to die basically. The environment would be trashed for profit and it would be legal to scam people. ST could be a nightmare where AI makes decisions based on efficiency and people are treated as mere tools and cogs in the machine. There would be no empathy at all.

Personally, I think CL would probably be the worst of the 3. DD would probably involve apathy and people voting for stupid laws or voting based on what is cool and popular. So a lot of laws would be bad but society would generally be pretty free and happy. TS would result in laws that are optimal and best but not very popular so people would probably be unhappy. CL would be the worst because corporations would undoubtedly cheat and steal. The environment and workers would suffer a lot since there would be no regulations to protect the environment or to guarantee worker's rights. CL would probably be like the early industrial revolution when there was child labor.

Seek, Guandao, sonicmyst and 2 others like this.
  17. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

A dystopian future isn't an unlikely scenario.

Kjimmet, Pietato, Guandao and 4 others like this.
  18. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Chieftain

Could it that the Canada's global is the total lifetime and after you use carbon recapture Project the global total gets diminished? That is the only logical reason for me.

19. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Ehh, I think the risk of fascism makes digital democracy more scary than corporate libertarianism.

Zaarin likes this.
  20. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Government in the present is scary enough. :shifty:

Star Trek makes several references to Federation economy (for example, Starfleet personnel patronize the currency-based Promenade, and Sisko references using "a month's worth of transporter credits"), and Bashir's father is a reminder that even with everything provided one can still end up a loser. I appreciated DS9 for undercutting Roddenberry's nonsense...

Digital democracy and synthetic tenochracy are neck-and-neck for most frightening to me. Putting all the power into the hands of either the caprice of the majority or an inhuman machine that evaluates based solely on programming and priorities is equally horrifying to me...

Aussie_Lurker, Haig and Siptah like this.