[GS] Feature Overview video

What's interesting is that one might assume that CL since it is rule by corporations, would get an extra economic card but in GS, it gets an extra military card instead. DD gets an extra diplomatic card. I think we can assume that ST will get the extra economic card. So I guess we can look at it as ST will be very efficient since it is rule by an AI, so the higher efficiency translates into a better economy. CL favors military because corporations like war (think military-industrialist complex, war fuels the demand for weapons which corporations can meet) and DD favors diplomacy because the people want to enjoy peace and tourism so they want good relationships with other countries. At least that is how I think GS might be interpreting these governments. It's not necessarily how I would do the governments. Of course, we don't know the government bonuses yet. The government bonuses may put a different interpretation on the governments.

On the other hand, the campus bonus is Economic. Economic bonuses aren't all about money. Even military cards may be to reduce cost late game. Oligarchy (e.g. Sparta) is the biggest military government of the classical world, but it only has one military slot. I think the difference in slots is marginal compared to the bonuses. I predict a gold bonus for CL, a cultural bonus for DD, and a science bonus for ST.

The past was pretty dystopian most of the time.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

I think Civ4 had a version of diseases in the form of "health"? And it had natural disasters, but as events that only have minimal effect in your play overall. I think the bad weather as a game-changing mechanic is a new thing introduced in GS.

Mind you we are only getting diseases in the Black Death scenario, not in the base expansion.

Yes, but Ed Beech (IIRC?) mentioned that they were using the Black Death Scenario as a Test Bed for broader disease mechanics. So don't be surprised if a DLC or X-Pac comes out with additional Natural Disasters-including plagues.

Government in the present is scary enough. :shifty:

Star Trek makes several references to Federation economy (for example, Starfleet personnel patronize the currency-based Promenade, and Sisko references using "a month's worth of transporter credits"), and Bashir's father is a reminder that even with everything provided one can still end up a loser. I appreciated DS9 for undercutting Roddenberry's nonsense...

Digital democracy and synthetic tenochracy are neck-and-neck for most frightening to me. Putting all the power into the hands of either the caprice of the majority or an inhuman machine that evaluates based solely on programming and priorities is equally horrifying to me...
Even TOS had a couple of references to Federation Credits (Trouble with Tribbles being the obvious one). My assumption/Head Canon was always that-in Sol at least-the basic needs of every citizen (basic housing, education, basic clothing, 3 meals a day & health care) were provided free of charge, but you still needed Credits in order to purchase stuff beyond those basic needs. Which would mean that people could pursue any career they wanted, without worrying about putting food on the table.

Yes, but Ed Beech (IIRC?) mentioned that they were using the Black Death Scenario as a Test Bed for broader disease mechanics. So don't be surprised if a DLC or X-Pac comes out with additional Natural Disasters-including plagues.

Or maybe a Civilization VI: Dark Ages spin-off. Battle plagues, natural disasters, invading hordes of barbarians, peasant uprisings, civil wars, religious fanatics,... Basically Europe in the 13th and 14th centuries.

Beyond Earth 2 confirmed?
Egad, I hope not. :p

Even TOS had a couple of references to Federation Credits (Trouble with Tribbles being the obvious one). My assumption/Head Canon was always that-in Sol at least-the basic needs of every citizen (basic housing, education, basic clothing, 3 meals a day & health care) were provided free of charge, but you still needed Credits in order to purchase stuff beyond those basic needs. Which would mean that people could pursue any career they wanted, without worrying about putting food on the table.
A lot of Star Trek makes more sense if you ignore the assumptions of its creator, whose understanding of economics was almost as bad as his understanding of human nature. :p But yes, I think it's perfectly fair to assume that the Federation has some sort of resource-based economic system, even if it pretentiously maintains that those resources are not currency, just like it maintains that Starfleet is not a military and Section 31 does not exist. :p

Or maybe a Civilization VI: Dark Ages spin-off. Battle plagues, natural disasters, invading hordes of barbarians, peasant uprisings, civil wars, religious fanatics,... Basically Europe in the 13th and 14th centuries.
If we must have a spinoff rather than a third expansion, I'd hope for a Neolithic/Bronze Age focus. That period is quite brief in Civ (unlike the Middle Ages), and a lot of interesting and important things happened there. Also, since we know they like their "test cases," it could be useful for testing out new mechanics for nomadic and pastoral civs (as Maori may already hint at).

In the video it mentions that floods will improve "food yields" on affected tiles. However I'm pretty sure in the original England first look video some of the tiles had increased production after a flood. Do we have any confirmation whether floods will only add food, or also have a chance to add production to tiles? Added production would be a huge boost for flatland cities on floodplains.

With info from the video, we now have everything revealed except for 3 units, 1 district and several civics (of course one leader, but we all know who she is). Are they keeping them a secret until last minute? I just hope they don't end up being scenario-specific ones.

By the way, the end credits/thumbnail of this video. It's playing an unfamiliar tune... Phoenicia's Atomic theme?

Interesting, especially since it sounds like a more advanced version of a theme that starts at 00:34 in the vid. Maybe this is the Phoenician theme? Sneaky, Firaxis!

The seastead looks neat. Also, I would happily invade another civilisation to seize control of hills made of chocolate.

By the way, the end credits/thumbnail of this video. It's playing an unfamiliar tune... Phoenicia's Atomic theme?

I say you're right. In the First Look videos they always play the new Civ's theme for a bit at the end and we haven't heard Phoenicia's theme yet, plus there a no new Civs to be revealed. (only an alt leader)

With 5 Wild Card slots each, the allocation of the other 4 policy slots aren't likely to be particularly relevant. Perhaps the new WC policies are strong enough that you'll want to use up all 5 slots on them, but that would be a big change from the current situation.

I expect the specials associated with each government will be the more important factor in deciding which you run. Hopefully they aren't finely tuned towards "Victory Type A", "Victory Type B", etc., but I suspect they will be.

I imagine this would be difficult, with early trials resulting in massive tax cuts and massive expenditures at the same time. It's an amusing, and also terrifying, thought

So US repubs then.

Moderator Action: Please do not derail the thread into current events or politics. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
The Future era Civic "Venture Politics"
I absolutely love the name Venture Politics. That there is perfection.

- I hope that the factory part is old footage, as it's missing the adjacency bonus of the power plant.
I must have missed that stream, but I have been so excited about it ever since I saw people talk about it on the boards. Firaxis probably knows the IZ is not very good. It's a clever boost and would incentivize me to build buildings in IZs besides the handful you need for factory coverage. Because guess what: building a factory now takes 2 power. You can't even spam factory+plant for the GE points now because you'll be wasting power.

One of the difficulties that libertarians face is that their political philosophy is indiscernible from liassez faire to outside observers, where government refuses to regulate business and it runs untrammeled over the rights of customers and employees alike because it views regulation as an inhibition of the business owners' own rights.

Appending Corporate to Libertarianism seems to evoke that perception explicitly and drives it headlong to the logical conclusion.

Except that is not the logical conclusion at all. In absence of regulations and indeed any other government interfeirence bussiness can't run over rights of employees and customers because those are actualy the ones holding all the power. Unlike government, bussiness can't force a customer to give them money in exchange for their services nor can force an employee to continue working for them and need to keep them willing to do so. Which they can decide at any moment to stop not only because a competing bussiness provide them with a better alternative but because of moral objections to how the bussiness is run (which we often see lately and sometimes taken to an extreme in my opinion).

The problem arises when the government does not stay out of bussiness but actively interfiers with it (which brings some problems in any case) but in this particular case does so in a way that benefits the big bussinesses at the expanse of everyone else. Which is something many argue is currently happening in the US and which is what overall this implementation of "Corporate Libertarianism" seems to evoke. Except as I stated, such system is the very opposite to what Libertarianism is!

Top Bottom