1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Feature Overview video

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, Jan 30, 2019.

1. AvianBritish

AvianBritish Chieftain

Digital Democracy to me makes me think of the upvote and downvote stuff shown on a planet in The Orville, quite scary having that much power...

2. BackseatTyrant

BackseatTyrant Queer Anarchotranshumanist

Would be funny if one of the future governments had been Ecotopia, which would've removed all mines and farms and turned your civ to a Revenge of Nature type of ordeal

3. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I just hope they didn't nerf the factory adjacency bonus or misspoke.

so the big concern will be do you go for high adjacency or go for maximum city coverage in 6 tiles. As you mention we don't want to waste power. In R&F I usually go for adjacency, even if I have to build an extra factory or two, but I may need to plan my cities much more carefully in GS.

4. Josephias

Josephias Chieftain

Which is indeed the logical (theoretical) conclusion, but not the practical one. If it worked like in theory, we would not have words for monopolies, oligopolies, price dumping and other similar practices (and all the branch of competence-ensuring rules)

In reality, in the same way comunism turns dictatorship, free market turns out jungle law: consumer base is so fragmented it does not have any “conscious” power. They are “environment”. In the jungle law example: they are the trees/plants in the jungle - of course if some plants of other color or different height appear, it would be beneficial for some animals (camouflage, protection) and not that good for others, but the complete jungle won’t decide to completely change layout at once.

Strongest players (animals, vompanies with the most capital) are capable to transform environment or adapt quicker to it. Even if they suffer some setback, they can recover - they fix the rules. If they fail, it is normally because other strong competitor has been able to adapt them in a way the new rules work completely against them. (There is the ocassional newcomer that finds an exploit, too, but there are counted cases)

An in any case, (and even if collaboration examples appear), jungle law is normally a zero or minus zero sum game: killl or be killed, survive. If the enviroment becomes worse for you, but even worser for your competitors, it is good for you, because your first objective is to anihilate competition, the. Shape the environment to sustain you (and, if possible, only you)

5. Hatchie

Hatchie Chieftain

Except free market and trade is the very opposite of zero sum game! On every trade made out of free will always both sides profit...

I would also argue recently we see in practice quite the opposite of what you claim about consumers having no power. How often an angry but relatively marginal group of people can force a huge corporation to take back something and apologise profusely solely by threat of bad publicity and decrease in sales it brings with it?

I agree with you about "price dumping and all the branch of competence-ensuring rules" and such regulations I (and many other Libertarians) don't object! But such practices aren't the only reason monopoly or oligopoly can occur and neither is monopoly or oligopoly always harmful. Sometimes they occur simply because only one (extremely rare) or very few companies are able to provide some service/product so effectively and only way for them to keep their position is continue to do so.
    Anyways the goal should be the best possible environment for free competition and let the customers decide what suits them best. Recently thou governments often overstep in the opposite diection and put in place many rules that hinder the ability of new competition to arise and as such make lives easier for established big bussiness (common reason being put forth is some sort of quality control - something that should be decided by customers). And one wonders if thats unintentional or if the big bussiness ensure such laws are put in place via lobbying and bribery.
    Which again highlights the difference between what Libertarianism actualy is (pursuit of putting power in the hands of public via free market) and what this "Corporate Libertarianism" evokes (exact opposite - pursuit of taking power away from public to the hands of big bussinesses via government interfierence)!

6. Haggbart

Haggbart Chieftain

Just want to point out that if you raise the perspective a bit you find a very different story. Over the last 70 years, 88% of Fortune 500 companies have been replaced on the list. I think it was Thomas Sowell who noted that about 50% of the biggest corporations in the US have gone bankrupt over the last 50 years, meaning half of the Fortune500 companies from 50 years ago don't even have the power to keep afloat.

Because technology, needs and preferences change. Also, because of rapid change in technology, the lifespan of S&P500 companies is down from 50-60 years to about 20 years now.

http://www.aei.org/publication/fort...e-destruction-that-fuels-economic-prosperity/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...erage-lifespan-of-company-under-20-years.html

Hatchie likes this.
  7. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: OK, folks. Back to discussing what we have learned from the Feature Overview video. If you want to keep debating real-world political and economic issues, like libertarianism, modern capitalism, free markets, trade issues and such, please take it to the Off-Topic forum. Thanks.

8. Isengardtom

Isengardtom Chieftain

I didn't notice anything about Mars but the launch of the earth satellite is still in there - See video at 03:40

Edit : sorry there is - at 04h56 there's the launch Mars Colony

9. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

It's possible that the 3 steps are something like:

- Moon.
    - Mars.
    - Outer Space.

With some shipbuilding and astronaut training. Maybe like in Civ 1/2, which allowed different ships with different speeds and chance of success.

EDIT: Heh, I've just found out that Civ Rev 2 is similar to that as well :p

Trav'ling Canuck and CivLuvah like this.
  10. Kibikus

Kibikus Chieftain

11. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

On the governments:

The two boosts seem to be clearly linked to the governments. But I thought boosts were randomized. Do you think these are an exception?

Digital Democracy sounds like it'll be culture-focused and the boost is culture-focused. Corporate Libertarianism sounds money-focused and the boost is. Did I misread the boosts being random?

12. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

So the Science Victory is now 4 discrete steps, instead of 3 steps where the last has 3 stages. That's probably an improvement, but it rather reduces the need for multiple Spaceports.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  13. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Those still are in the "information era" part of the tree (which was just 2 civics + future tech). Check the background.

14. Bosque

Bosque Chieftain

So this shows the Base Cost of a Spaceport as 1800 production. But at the bottom, it shows a Cost of 1206 production.

Is that a function of having powered factories to reduce the cost, some sort of policy card, or is there something else going on that I don't understand?

15. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Chieftain

Could be early build bug, but might be taking into consideration the reduction items, like the CO2 collector that reduces the overall. So for instance, they used coal so it produces CO2 then they build a CO2 reducing item lowering the overall CO2 in the game, but the amount generated from coal remains the same.

16. Sostratus

Sostratus Chieftain

Everything everywhere int he game always shows its own base cost (the number in the civilopedia) and the actual cost factors in: game speed, and for districts, tech/civic progress, and for settlers, how many you've built already.
    They are playing on quick so things are +50% faster, or they take 2/3 the time - hence, 1800 becomes 1206. (Looks like its coded as -33.0% instead of 2/3 exactly.)

Bosque and Elhoim like this.
  17. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

Am I the only one a little miffed at the One Dimensional nature of Science Victory?

Or, should I say, the Implicit Dystopian Nature of the Science Victory: it's all based on your ability to be the first to (to use an old SciFi quote) "Blow This Crummy Planet".

Not use science to counter the damage, stabilize the environment, improve the planet in any way: just stave off disaster until you can start over somewhere else. Not what I'd call a Positive Result from a 500-turn game. . .

On the other hand, Domination, Religious and Cultural Victories are no more positive in their results: stifle all other polities and populations either physically, spiritually or culturally, leaving a Monolithic Humanity.

Shudder.

Of course, the problem with either professional foretelling/prognosticating the Future or replicating likely outcomes in a game environment is that everything you predict will almost certainly not happen: the future has a nasty habit of galloping off in unexpected directions, positive and negative, and changes in human expectations and technology change not only future reality, but future expectations and considerations of 'normality'. Note that even though it foreshadowed the 'personal communicator (phone)', (several of the actual scientists that developed smart phones have admitted that they were inspired by StarTrek's original series) Star Trek never even hinted at the implications of Universal Connectivity in politics, culture, entertainment, and Ignorance.

It is a safe bet that neither game designers nor 'Futurists' will do any better.

Parenthetically, fr those who still want to debate 'future' government types, go read an in-depth study of the Greek government types in Classical Athens and elsewhere in Greece: the Greeks had already recognized the problems with Direct Democracy, Representational Democracy, Aristocracy, Thalasocracy, Kakocracy, Tyranny, et al, 2400 years ago, and technology really hasn't changed their conclusions and warnings. . .

Uberfrog, Seek and SammyKhalifa like this.
  18. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Looks like our late governments and science victory questions will get answered in today's special livestream. Firaxis just tweeted this:

Firaxis Games‏Verified account @FiraxisGames 4m4 minutes ago
    In 1 hour! Topics on today's livestream: • All things Phoenicia! • Updates to the Science Victory • Late game Governments

Elhoim likes this.
  19. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Interesting that the future governments get a negative ability.

Synthetic Technocracy
    +2 power in all cities and +10$% science in powered cities
    -10% tourism

Corporate Libertarianism
    Commercial Hubs and Encampments provide cities with +10% production and acc
    -10% science in cities without governors

Digital Democracy
    +2 amenities in all cities and +2 culture per specialty district
    -3 combat strength for all units

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    CoconutTank and Elhoim like this.
  20. Elhoim