[Feature] Turkic Civilization

Leoreth

Blue Period
This feature branch adds the Turkic civilization to the game. You can access it under the branch name "turks". Information about the civilization itself:

The Turks
Colours: middle blue / white
Coat of Arms: bow and arrow
Spawn: 552 AD at Orduqent (Suyab)
Leader: Alp Arslan
Unique Power: The Power of Orda: Barbarians cannot enter territory at peace and will join your armies at war *
Unique Unit: Oghuz (Horse Archer): 3 moves, hidden nationality, starts with March
Unique Building: Divan (Jail): -25% city maintenance
Unique Historical Victory:
- The Kaghanate: Control 6% of the world and pillage 20 improvements by 900 AD
- The Silk Route: Create an overland trade connection between a city in China and a Mediterranean port and control 10 cities with the Silk Route by 1100 AD
- Patronage: Control a capital with developing culture by 900 AD, a different capital with refined culture by 1100 AD and another capital with influential culture by 1400 AD

* this means you will always win combat when attacking, and capture their units like workers

Civ4ScreenShot0274.JPG

Other changes:
- renamed Turkey to the Ottomans
- removed the Seljuks
- Silk Route requires Currency and also uses Camels
- adjusted terrain around Orduqent
- adjusted barbarian spawns in Central Asia
- refactored some code to remove need for UP and UHV text entries in Consts.py
- changed Greek colour to silver (previous Seljuk colour)
- changed Babylonian colour to middle purple

Remaining to do list:
- Turkic dynamic names and great people names
- Dawn of man text
- LH for the early Khaganate, likely Bumin Kaghan
- recreate previous Seljuk events: Turkic conquerors for Persia, Mongol conquerors for Turks
- Turkic core moves to Seljuk territory if it is conquered
- Balance AI behaviour

I am also wondering how best to represent the Timurids. The Turkic UHV is designed with them in mind (last deadline of the third goal), and my original plan was to add Timur as a Turkic LH and let the Turks respawn as the Timurid Empire. On the other hand, the same could be done for Mongolia, and Timurids as a Mongol respawn is more historically appropriate. But then again there is more of a chance of the Turks actually being collapsed when the Timurids would respawn.

All sorts of feedback welcome, and if anyone wants to contribute I'd appreciate great people names in particular.

Nice! The 3rd UHV goal in particular sounds interesting.

Why the color changes? I'll need to check in game to see how it looks, but I'm not sure why you changed the Greek color. I liked their blue a lot... Also I feel like the Seljuks' color would have been fine for the Turkic civilization as a whole.

I'll be happy to research GP names. When I researched Persian names last time, there were many that flourished when Persia was rules by Turkic empires; should they be in both Turkic and Persian lists? Only Turkic? Only Persian?
EDIT: and similarly for Turkic people included as part of the Arab or Mongolian GPs. Do you have an opinion on how to untangle all of this?

Last edited:
Unique Power: The Power of Orda: Barbarians cannot enter territory at peace and will join your armies at war *

Just wondering about this one, will the barbarians AI wonder midnlessly around siberia , and most likely cause trouble for Russia or perhaps China in this way ? Whats their behaviour

Ran a quick start on 3000 BC. Getting an EventHandler error. Uploaded the initial save; hitting Next Turn gave the first EventHandler error. UP works, although not against barb cities, which I assume to be an intentional choice (Edit: Somehow did work conquering Esfahan, defended by two Horse Archers, but not against Samarkand, defended by an Archer).

Attachments

• Alp Arslan AD-0545 Turn 177.CivBeyondSwordSave
    512.8 KB · Views: 177
Another kitchensink civ? Now this game is completely unhistorical!

Nice! The 3rd UHV goal in particular sounds interesting.
Yeah, but it's the only one I haven't really tested yet. I wanted something that encourages moving your capital and shifting your base of power.

Why the color changes? I'll need to check in game to see how it looks, but I'm not sure why you changed the Greek color. I liked their blue a lot... Also I feel like the Seljuks' color would have been fine for the Turkic civilization as a whole.
The Turks are so closely associated with the colour blue that it would have felt wrong not to give it to them. I never really liked the Greek colour to be honest, it was kinda garish in contrast to what the Greeks usually are neighbouring with.

I'll be happy to research GP names. When I researched Persian names last time, there were many that flourished when Persia was rules by Turkic empires; should they be in both Turkic and Persian lists? Only Turkic? Only Persian?
EDIT: and similarly for Turkic people included as part of the Arab or Mongolian GPs. Do you have an opinion on how to untangle all of this?
I would say don't untangle, it's fine or even preferable if names appear in multiple lists. The way it works is that if a name is used it's used, so duplicates will not be possible.

Looks great.

Would this be an appropriate LH for Bumin Khagan?

Spoiler :
Was my first thought as well, but I wanted something more steppe looking. Currently favouring Nitram's Ruga.

Just wondering about this one, will the barbarians AI wonder midnlessly around siberia , and most likely cause trouble for Russia or perhaps China in this way ? Whats their behaviour
I haven't really observed their behaviour much because in my games I was usually at war, but they should still go for the best achievable target, e.g. China. Part of the reasoning behind the UP was that the addition of the Turks should not absorb the barbarian pressure against other civs in the area.

Ran a quick start on 3000 BC. Getting an EventHandler error. Uploaded the initial save; hitting Next Turn gave the first EventHandler error. UP works, although not against barb cities, which I assume to be an intentional choice (Edit: Somehow did work conquering Esfahan, defended by two Horse Archers, but not against Samarkand, defended by an Archer).
I'll look into the save.

The UP is specifically geared only against mounted units, skipped that aspect in my description. But I didn't really consider cities overall.

Another kitchensink civ? Now this game is completely unhistorical!
Why the surprise, this was announced weeks ago.

UHV is thoroughly bugged. Pillaged improvements aren't counted, Trade Route from Mediterranean to China isn't recognized (unless Beijing isn't considered China and/or Jerusalem isn't considered Mediterranean), and the goals aren't marked as failed/successful when the relevant date rolls around.

I am also wondering how best to represent the Timurids. The Turkic UHV is designed with them in mind (last deadline of the third goal), and my original plan was to add Timur as a Turkic LH and let the Turks respawn as the Timurid Empire. On the other hand, the same could be done for Mongolia, and Timurids as a Mongol respawn is more historically appropriate. But then again there is more of a chance of the Turks actually being collapsed when the Timurids would respawn.

All sorts of feedback welcome, and if anyone wants to contribute I'd appreciate great people names in particular.

Timurids as Turks is definitely better than. Do the Mongols get conquerors against the Turks as well?

What do you have in mind for what the Turkic civ could/would represent in the post-Timurid era? IIRC after that the Turks revert back to being Central Asia based, which would be a bit odd with the (I assume) more Persia-based Seljuk/Timurid core.

UHV is thoroughly bugged. Pillaged improvements aren't counted, Trade Route from Mediterranean to China isn't recognized (unless Beijing isn't considered China and/or Jerusalem isn't considered Mediterranean), and the goals aren't marked as failed/successful when the relevant date rolls around.
A save with the Silk Route would help.

Timurids as Turks is definitely better than. Do the Mongols get conquerors against the Turks as well?
Not yet.

What do you have in mind for what the Turkic civ could/would represent in the post-Timurid era? IIRC after that the Turks revert back to being Central Asia based, which would be a bit odd with the (I assume) more Persia-based Seljuk/Timurid core.
Yeah, they can represent a number of Central Asian states, like the Khanate of Bukhara etc.

Oh, someone needs to control the entire route. Either you or the owner of the originating Chinese city (which you do not need to control).

Yes, at some point it should. Not clear on the criteria yet.

Maybe when Turks are unstable and the Ottomans have already spawned. Also, maybe make it so the Ottomans only spawn if the Turks conquered Anatolia and are unstable or have lost the territory.

Excited for this! Persian and Arabian long-lasting games are about to get harder...

Maybe when Turks are unstable and the Ottomans have already spawned. Also, maybe make it so the Ottomans only spawn if the Turks conquered Anatolia and are unstable or have lost the territory.

Ottomans should spawn most of the time though. Maybe they’re only prevented from spawning if Byzantines control all of Anatolia and are stable?

Excited for this! Persian and Arabian long-lasting games are about to get harder...

Ottomans should spawn most of the time though. Maybe they’re only prevented from spawning if Byzantines control all of Anatolia and are stable?

Arguably the Turks should get a small conqueror's event against the Byzantines in Anatolia if they loose enough ground to the Mongol invasion, which should have a very good chance of fufilling the Ottoman spawn condition. Although this might too much scripting. But if there is a way to simulate the westward expansion of Turkic peoples in response to Mongol expansion without over-scripting then it would be nice to see that.

Arguably the Turks should get a small conqueror's event against the Byzantines in Anatolia if they loose enough ground to the Mongol invasion, which should have a very good chance of fufilling the Ottoman spawn condition. Although this might too much scripting. But if there is a way to simulate the westward expansion of Turkic peoples in response to Mongol expansion without over-scripting then it would be nice to see that.

Like maybe have an AI only conqueror event if the Turks hold Persia and Byzantium/Arabia are unstable.

Anatolia was conquered by the Turks centuries before the rise of the Mongols.

Top Bottom