Features blocking district placement.

You should be able to destroy reefs - pretty sure you can in the real world. You should also have to unlock some tech before you can clear them.

Separately, you should be able to build ocean national parks after unlocking some tech. That would really make reefs, cliffs and ocean natural wonders more useful. Seriously, how is it I can’t make Galapagos a national park???

No, you can build over unseen strategic resources. That is one of the main points here.

respectfully disagree... I've had wonders and districts unable to be built on hexes that they should have been able to be built upon... To find out later
on that they were oil or uranium hexes

respectfully disagree... I've had wonders and districts unable to be built on hexes that they should have been able to be built upon... To find out later

Well that may have been a bug in your game.

Multiple times I am shown that I have resource X in my territory; but when the view moves to show me where the resource is (as it does when you click on the notification after having researched the relevant tech), it's nowhere in sight. Up top the count shows how many of resource X I already have access to, yet I only just revealed the resource and I've had no time to mine it or whatever you do to access it. My only explanation for that is it must be under either a district or a city center (which is a district) which was constructed before it was revealed.

I've also never been denied building a district on a space for no reason. Never. Not once. There has always been a reason that can be figured out even if it takes me a moment or two to get there.

There are occasionally some issues with unseen resources when the game treats them as 'seen'. E.g. I once had steam power eureka for building a mine over the undiscovered coal (and I had an ironclad from the Admiral). But when things are normal, you can build on those tiles. Might be that they become 'seen' once one civilization has the tech, haven't checked.

@nzcamel and @Rosty K , ok will be on the lookout in the next weeks/months of playing... If I see an occurance, will save and post it here... maybe you'll be able to explain situations where I'm unable to build a disctrict somewhere (because the game just doesn't offer me the hex) with other explanations than what I've been assuming is happening (and HAVE checked a long time ago... but will check again)

Thx for your input guys

I think building districts can also be denied when another city is nearby and either working the tile or is located too close to the tile (= direct neighbour). Sometimes I have to switch multiple tiles between cities to be allowed to build a district where I want.

Throw my name in with those who hate that we can't build districts on reefs, floodplains, and resources.

There's a mod on Steam that's called something like "Harvest all resources", or something like that. As the name implies, it lets you harvest strategic and luxury resources for production and gold. It's a great mod, has saved me a lot of grief. :badcomp:

I think there's also one that lets you harvest flood plains (and I guess one could make one for reefs also), but I haven't tried that one.

@tedhebert - here's an example from my current game. You can see that I have just completed Military Engineering. I already have a Niter showing in my resources in the "menu" bar. When I click on the notification at the bottom right to see where it is, it drags me to Xochicalco; where I can't see a Niter. Ergo, I think it's under the city.

Spoiler :

District over strat resource.PNG

Yes. It has to be.

@nzcamel, oh yes this has always worked that way as far as I remember... when that happens, you get the resource right away tough... what I was talking about was tiles NOT in city center that should have been available for construction but somehow are not...
And I wasn't talking about settling a city, although yes I see your point, weird that one could build a city on it, but not a district ??? I was talking mostly about districts...

Thanks for the example

@nzcamel, oh yes this has always worked that way as far as I remember... when that happens, you get the resource right away tough... what I was talking about was tiles NOT in city center that should have been available for construction but somehow are not...
And I wasn't talking about settling a city, although yes I see your point, weird that one could build a city on it, but not a district ??? I was talking mostly about districts...

Thanks for the example

The city center is a district.
I have seen it where multiple resources are under the same city. I'll provide that example when it next happens to me.

My strongest dislike in this genre goes to "Horses". Strategic, in the information era? Seriously... We can't move horses...

Natural parks should be made easier to place, so horses, incense etc would give you an extra bonus to tourism, since you preserved the land.

I have never seen a place to put a National Park.

Top Bottom