1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback and a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by martix, Jul 16, 2017.

1. martix

martix Chieftain

First some feedback:
    1. Mech Assembly plant puts Armourer as a possible build option, but it can never be completed - if you complete it, it goes straight to being available for building again.
    2. Advanced quality control can't be built - requires contradictory buildings - like computer network and network node. But computer network requires one of the earlier versions of network node, so when you build the node, computer network vanishes/obsoletes/whatever.

Didn't see these changes in the changelog since my build, so reporting.

Next, questions:

1. Is there a way to increase the memory usage limit of Civ4? My current game is so bloody large that every so often the game seems to dump data from memory just so it can load the current viewport. 4gb patch doesn't work. Game manages its own memory too explicitly.
    2. I've got a very old game I'm playing. Tried updating, but got an error on the save game. Is it possible to salvage it somehow? Also is there a description of the save game format somewhere?

2. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

Your version is about 2 months out of date. I fixed those two building bugs in v1057, which was May 14th.

What kind of save error are you getting? There are some things we have done that do break save games.

3. martix

martix Chieftain

It's a little older than that(like 6 months - latest build when I started the game). Which is why I was looking for a way to convert the save. Even started mapping the format on my own.

The error is "Save format is not compatible due to missing class: SPECIAL_BUILDING_GREAT_FIREWALL".

Also, I assume the memory situation is not fixable...

4. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

I don't know about the memory situation.

If you really want to salvage the save game, you can edit three files: CIV4BuildingInfos.xml, CIV4ProjectInfo.xml, and CIV4SpecialBuildingInfos.xml. Change all references of "SPECIALBUILDING_NETWORK" to "SPECIAL_BUILDING_GREAT_FIREWALL". Then if you start a new game you can change it back. The only use for the Special Building tag in this case is to mark the buildings that can only be constructed once any player has built The Internet.

I had the idea to expand the concept of the Great Firewall to make other buildings require the Internet as well. I changed not only the displayed name but the underlying XML code as well. Apparently that is one of the few things that can break save compatibility. It probably wasn't considered when the ability was added.