1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Star Trek Mod' started by DCMage, Sep 18, 2008.

1. DCMage

DCMage Chieftain

Hello Folks,

Been Playing the Mod as UFP, before I continue I have to say, Dam fine Mod. Id like to give a bit of feedback:-

Firstly a starting Map, Standard or Large Size (The mod doesn't seem to like Huge maps, 10-15 turns in, each turn takes about 25 secs, on a AMD 64 X2 4200 Chip in a Crossfire Board and 2gig of RAM I wouldnt expect the turns to take that long till quite late in the game, marathon speed btw) it would add such a biggger feel to the game if the Civ's started in a more real atmosphere (plus it would stop me restarting each game untill I get one that has the civs in more real positions :p ).

The Borg should start as enemy to all and stay that way through out, and be extremely hard. If the Dominion start a game, at some point they should ally with the Cardassians and Breen, again gives it that realistic view. Bajor should be a Cardassian Colony, and Beak away at a certain time, i've started 3 games with the Bajoran as a starting Civ and they have been stronger than most other races after about 200 turns, 2 outa the 3 games, they died to barbs in the 3rd game early on so that don't realy count :p . In the end I restarted and chose not to have them as I dont see the Bajorans to be a Major power in Star Trek.

I was a bit dissapointed to find only a small Tech Tree, this is Star Trek after all, there should be a large amount of Tech's, atleast in my mind.

Ships, theres a big lack here, at end game theres like 3 ships and 1 fighter to choose from as UFP, havn't looked at any of the others yet, should be more choice and versitility, Starbases should be upgradeable and immune to Bombardment, they are a tiny bit overpowered at the start but level off at end game, add Outposts with only a 1 square radius maybe? that you can upgrade to Starbases with 2 square radius later on? The Cloaking Promotion, should be limited to certian Civs and or Ships.

2. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

You and I are on the same page with techs and ship diversification. However, I think that Deanej needs some ideas at this point, and I believe that Imrahiel is also working on something similar with his mod mod.

Have you had the issue with capturing a planet and then suddenly not being able to build buildings anymore? This error is very annoying, and one I tried to solve recently on my own. I tweaked some of the variables in the buildingsinfos files, but I still get the issue cropping up. I have narrowed it down to something that the AI typically builds in their homeworld, but my tests in world builder have been unable to duplicate the issue...

3. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Do you still get that bug even with the patch? Tests with worldbuilder won't help, as buildings you add with it aren't added to any planet, and buildings can't actually be removed with it. It has to due to a mismatch between what the SDK thinks the city has (the buildings you see in the building list on the left in the city screen) and what the python thinks the city has (the buildings on each planet).

As for performanance, I'm afraid there isn't much I can do without moving a lot of the code to the SDK. I may be able to move the unit sounds to the XML, though. I'll look in to it when I expand the mod after version 1.0.

I'm trying to capture the "civ feel" with this mod and keep it to the epic game as much as I can. A "Rhye's and fall of civ" type mod-mod could be interesting and I may look in to it after I release both add-on packs. Many problems (techs, units) stem from limited data on many civs/the Star Trek universe, as well as the fact that the epic game covers a period of 6000 years but Star Trek only covers a period of 150 years (will be 250 after the release of the first addon pack). Check the "Expansion Notes.txt" file in the Star Trek mod folder to see what I want to add in each pack (as of the release of beta 3, I think I have made changes to that file since).

4. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

Reposting here for posterity, but even with Assimilation off, I still get the error with buildings after I take the capital of an alien civ.

5. DCMage

DCMage Chieftain

You can change the "Time" from years to months or weeks even, have seen it in other mod's, to strech the timer to match more the the Trek Universe.