1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Feingold: End Senate Appointments

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by downtown, Jan 25, 2009.

?

This is what I think

1. Changing the US Constitution to end Senate appointments is a good idea

47.8%
  2. I do not think changing the constitution to end Senate appointments is a good idea

34.8%
  3. I don't really have an opinion on this matter

8.7%
  4. This could hurt Obama politically

4.3%
  5. Only downtown should be appointed to the Senate

4.3%
  1. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Brazil's backup idea seems nice in theory. Saves election costs while allowing people to consent to a replacement.

I don't see how he's saying that Congress would appoint the successor. He's talking about state special elections here, especially when you look at the link:

This is allowing the portion of the national body (the consistency) to insert the figure as opposed to a single man.

The states have to consent to the amendment.

2. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Oh my... :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Yes, the 17th. Though, you know that whole women voting thing.... KIDDING!

3. cubsfan6506

cubsfan6506 Got u

I wish they'd make the senate operate like the parliaments of europe where you vote for a party in national election and they assign the seats.

4. bhsup

bhsup Deity

I don't want to vote for a party. I vote for the person. In this last election, I actually voted for more dems than gop'ers, but it was a mixed bag.

5. cubsfan6506

cubsfan6506 Got u

It would only be for the senate.

6. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

While I agree with what you mean, I fail to see how taking away female suffrage would fix this problem.

(I think you mean the 17th Amendment, which I already proposed repealing.)

Edit: I see someone already pointed this out.

7. Mark1031

Mark1031 Deity

Bad Idea. It is not a problem that rises to the level of constitutional tinkering. Elections are expensive and difficult to just throw together and make fair in a short time. But that said, Feingold is great.

8. t87supra

t87supra Chieftain

Whoops, sorry guys. I read the name too quickly and saw "Feinstein." I don't know too much about Feingold.

9. a_propagandist

a_propagandist The Light Brigadier

What's with the bull about the Federal government taking power? This is about putting power back into the hands of the people, the constituents of the state.

10. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Master of the Pan Flute

No, it's not. The constituents of the state (Illinois) have decided they want their governor to decide. The Feds are saying, 'Hey Illini, you're dumb, try again.' We'll let you choose as long as you choose our way is not really a choice.

Not every state fills vacancies by gubenatorial appointment. Some mandate special elections, some let the state senate choose a replacement.

11. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

I think this would be a fair solution, at least for the situations of 'vacancy' by promotion, to keep the political machine running smoothly. Special elections would be prefered in most oher cases though---e.g. death, impeachment.

12. amadeus

amadeus Techbrophobe

That's two (or three, I don't know where VR stands) people against the 17th Amendment! Take that, Bill! :lol:

13. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

That didn't work. That's why the Constitution was amended. It's right as it is.

14. Irish Caesar

Irish Caesar Yellow Jacket

It didn't not work, either; you had good Senators before and good Senators after the switch.

I wouldn't switch it back, but it's not like it was badly broken before... unless I'm missing something pretty huge somewhere?

15. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

You don't get the Constitution amended without convincing an awful lot of people that it is in fact broken. ;) And beyond that, you had to convince most of the state legislatures to give up power. That doesn't happen on a whim.

16. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

Good idea, plain and simple. Letting the people choose their senators should be fairly uncontroversial, as should minimizing the importance of pay for play games.

Some people have brought up States Rights. Let me be clear here, I'm of two minds on the subject. On one hand, letting each state choose it's own laws, and act as an independent laboratory of democracy is great. However letting the states dictate anything to the national government is a travesty. As well, to be frank I find that States Rights is never the rallying call of anyone I would want to march beside. So from my point of view, the 17 amendment was a great thing for both national and popular sovereignty, and this amendment could be the same.

17. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Miles, you just said "national government". I think that is where your confusion is coming from. We do not have a national government. We have a FEDERAL government. There is a difference.

18. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

...a federal government is one which deals with matters of the nation as a whole. Unless we're somehow comparing the US with another nation, like say the UK, which is not a federation, the phrases mean the same damn things.

The statement "letting the states dictate anything to the federal government is a travesty" makes just as much sense. A federal republic does not mean that the federal government has to be weak. The United States is not a confederation.

It did have problems.

19. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

Very true. Technically the United States is not a democracy, but a federal constitutional republic with certain aristocratic elements. That doesn't stop me from referring to the wonders of democracy. However, I did specifically choose the word "national' to make a point. The US is an odd bird, being very centralized by the standards of a federation, and quite decentralized by the standards of a unitary state. Since I was making a point about some of the more ridiculous aspects of states rights, I emphasized the United in the United States.

But let's get back to the real issue.

Namely, why is it better that a senate seat be obtained through connections, or pay for play dealing, or deals in smokefilled rooms?

20. Irish Caesar

Irish Caesar Yellow Jacket

Ah, okay, thanks.

My "area of expertise" doesn't really extend to the post-War period.

:)