Female-dominant cultures?

Re: male circumcision, Plotinus - millions of US MDs disagree as a medical issue, if unreflectedly, and the rest is framing a matter of taste as some universal moral outrage, and you've normally more sense than that, sir. I think uncut peepees are grotesque, and isn't this a fascinating subject to belabor?

Re: male circumcision, Plotinus - millions of US MDs disagree as a medical issue, if unreflectedly,

Well, I'm not sure that's true, and besides, why would American doctors outrank doctors from everywhere else on this?

and the rest is framing a matter of taste as some universal moral outrage, and you've normally more sense than that, sir.

Not at all - to the former clause I mean - I think it's immoral for reasons quite unrelated to taste. I just mentioned the taste point as an additional, less important one.

think uncut peepees are grotesque, and isn't this a fascinating subject to belabor?

Seriously though - don't you think that's odd? That mutilation can become so normalised in a society that people find the unmutilated state "grotesque"? It reminds me of H.G. Wells' "The Country of the Blind". That might not be a moral aspect of the matter but it is strange, don't you think?

The medical reasons I know of for circumcising babies are only relevant for the Third World nations where hygiene is a luxury.

Which is to say, almost wholly irrelevant for children in the United States despite Alabama's rather poor ranking from the UN.

Seriously though - don't you think that's odd? That mutilation can become so normalised in a society that people find the unmutilated state "grotesque"? It reminds me of H.G. Wells' "The Country of the Blind". That might not be a moral aspect of the matter but it is strange, don't you think?

I actually don't: it's quite typical of humans.

You're probably right. I'll never understand those humans.

Nor will I, but I have observed that humans get used to the darndest things! Think about clothing: from any 'objective' standpoint the fact that we wrap ourselves in cloth is absurd, but some naked guy walking down the street in the "natural" state would probably at least elicit a weird look from you, right?

I think it's human.

I don't remember being born with an animal dong, almost all men in this country the same, and that's my normal, and I can't help being offended mildly when you assault my own status quo. That's really all there is to my point, aside from thinking you haven't made your case that it's wrong, that there's any harm to it aside from arguable aesthetics - not that I find the topic of interest, just your passion on the point.

[shrugs] The world's made more interesting for having people who are wrong in it, and I've found the nets easier to take, having that attitude...

I think it's human.

I don't remember being born with an animal dong, almost all men in this country the same, and that's my normal, and I can't help being offended mildly when you assault my own status quo. That's really all there is to my point, aside from thinking you haven't made your case that it's wrong, that there's any harm to it aside from arguable aesthetics - not that I find the topic of interest, just your passion on the point.

[shrugs] The world's made more interesting for having people who are wrong in it, and I've found the nets easier to take, having that attitude...

I thought circumcision is becoming increasingly less common in America.

I think it can also be a problem in developing countries where the medical standards are lower. In some countries they do the circumcision at a later age when the children are not babies and they are actually aware of what is going on and remember it, which seems more cruel to me.

And look at Sweden. The moment feminists held power, the country is being destroyed from the inside by mass immigration.

Hahahahaha! Sounds like your (preferred) male leaders weren't up to the job and
were out-organized, out-witted, and out-manoeuvred by better people.

Hahahahaha! Sounds like your (preferred) male leaders weren't up to the job and
were out-organized, out-witted, and out-manoeuvred by better people.
All Swedish prime ministers to date have been men, FWIW.

Well, that is certainly worth necroing the thread for.

Even though the last post was ~2 weeks old, this was the top thread in the forum.

Weren't Ishtar and some other Mesopotamian goddesses sometimes worshipped as chief deities?

And I'd like to hear about societies in which women regularly took part in military activities.

Last edited:
There were many important female rulers in the Byzantine Empire. The pope even named some frank as roman emperor cause he didn't want to accept a woman as the head of the roman empire.
And while i wouldn't go as far as to say that the byz empire was "female-dominant", at least it was more civilized than the others in this respect as well :jesus:

I'm not convinced that three female emperors out of a total of ninety-odd (depending on how you count them) provides much grounds for seeing the Byzantine empire as more gender-equal than most other medieval societies. England had the same number of queens regnant in the sixteenth century alone, and that was an appallingly misogynistic society, as is partly shown by some of the reaction to the existence of those very same queens.

I'm not convinced that three female emperors out of a total of ninety-odd (depending on how you count them) provides much grounds for seeing the Byzantine empire as more gender-equal than most other medieval societies. England had the same number of queens regnant in the sixteenth century alone, and that was an appallingly misogynistic society, as is partly shown by some of the reaction to the existence of those very same queens.

That was also more than 500 years later, though :)

Top Bottom