Female Leaders - Past and Present - Elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Catherine the Great 17
Elizabeth I (6-3)=3 Civ5 made her very boring, in both speech and behavior. I remember her reign more for Shakespeare than anything else.
Hatshepsut (20+1)=21 Her legacy was erased during her successor's rule, simply because she was a woman. But enough has survive to show her as a capable ruler.
Maria Theresa 11
Wu Zetian 20

If they want good Elizabeth voice acting, Civ developers ought to look to how Age of Empires III (single player skirmish maps) handles Elizabeth's voice--snooty, posh, dignified, serious, with just the right edge of sarcastic, almost Mirren-like and exactly how one would imagine the middle-aged/slightly older than middle-aged Elizabeth I sounding.

Catherine the Great 17
Elizabeth I ELIMINATED (3 - 3) Nothing against you Liz, but someone had to be next. Furthermore, Helen Mirren for Elizabeth I if she does indeed make a return.
Hatshepsut 22 (21 + 1) A great female role model from an ancient time.
Maria Theresa 11
Wu Zetian 20

Catherine the Great 17
Hatshepsut 22
Maria Theresa 11+1=12 - One of the greatest female leaders in not just Austrian history. She made the Habsburg Monarchy one of the strongest and most modern states in Europe.
Wu Zetian 20-3=17 - Not so great compared to the rest.

Catherine the Great 17-3=14 Pales in comparison to the other three
Hatshepsut 22
Maria Theresa 12
Wu Zetian 17+1=18 If we take into account historical relativism, her achievement and status is impressive. Plus, I think representation is important and the world would benefit from more prominent portrayals of strong Chinese women

Catherine the Great 14
Hatshepsut 22 Hmmm no GenyaArikado downvotes today, so we'll let it be for this instance.
Maria Theresa 12 - 3 = 9 (Extremely religiously intolerant, and she did, after all, lose land to Frederick the Great)
Wu Zetian 18 + 1 = 19 (Unique story and social reforms make her quite interesting, whereas for Catherine for example, we already have an Enlightenment ruler (Peter) for the same nation.)

Last edited:
Catherine the Great 15 (14+1) the last most known female leader
Hatshepsut 22
Maria Theresa 6 (9-3) her time has long since expired!!!
Wu Zetian 19

Catherine the Great 15
Hatshepsut (22+1)=23 Egypt's greatest female ruler
Maria Theresa (6-3)=3 Fourth place is nice one for her
Wu Zetian 19

Catherine the Great 15 + 1 = 16 - Maybe I'm biased
Hatshepsut 23
Maria Theresa 3
Wu Zetian 19 - 3 = 16 - Leaving Maria Theresa with a chance

Catherine the Great 16
Hatshepsut 23+1=24 - Very well, it seems that I have to support Hatshepsut - one of the greatest Pharaohs in Egyptian history. After all, I said that she is the best along with Maria Theresa...
Maria Theresa 3-3=0 (ELIMINATED) - I promised that I'll either help you or I'll end your suffering. You were great that you managed to protect your throne, and although you lost both wars and you lost some lands, you greatly improved the life in the monarchy. You supported education. You supported the establishment of manufactures. You made the monarchy rich, developed, strong and well respected with your enlightened reforms. But sadly, I don't see any way to save you. Please forgive me, my queen...
Wu Zetian 16

We might had to add in Amanitore, Queen of Nubia, soon enough.
But barely anything is known about her life except that she built a lot....

Catherine the Great 16 - 3 = 13 While a great queen, we already have Peter the Great in the game, and he was an Enlightenment-era ruler whom Catherine admired and emulated, so Catherine's uniqueness would be somewhat stifled by her inclusion in the game (at least at this early stage in the Civ VI cycle). Besides, it's time for more non-European leaders in general.
Hatshepsut 24
Wu Zetian 16 + 1 = 17 Accomplished a lot against a conservative and vicious political backdrop.
The importance to history of Wu Zetian's period of political and military leadership includes the major expansion of the Chinese empire, extending it far beyond its previous territorial limits, deep into Central Asia, and engaging in a series of wars on the Korean peninsula, first allying with Silla against Goguryeo, and then against Silla over occupation of formerly Goguryeo territory. Within China, besides the more direct consequences of her struggle to gain and maintain supreme power, Wu's leadership resulted in important effects regarding social class in Chinese society and in relation to state support for Taoism, Buddhism, education, and literature. Wu Zetian also had a monumental impact upon the statuary of the Longmen Grottoes and the "Wordless Stele" at the Qianling Mausoleum, as well as the construction of some major buildings and bronze castings that no longer survive.
She also respected the common man and was an efficient administrator:
She was determined that free, self-sufficient farmers would continue to work on their own farm land, so she periodically used the juntian, equal-field system, together with updated census figures to ensure fair land allocations, re-allocating as necessary. Much of her success was due to her various edicts (including those known as her "Acts of Grace") which helped to satisfy the needs of the lower classes through various acts of relief, her widening recruitment to government service to include previously excluded gentry and commoners, and by her generous promotions and pay raises for the lower ranks.

Wu Zetian used her military diplomatic skills to enhance her position. The fubing system of self supportive soldier-farmer colonies which provided local militia and labor services for her government allowed her to maintain her armed forces at reduced expense.

Also, she wrote her own poems.

Catherine the Great 14 (13+1) see above
Hatshepsut 21 (24-3) see above
Wu Zetian 17

We might had to add in Amanitore, Queen of Nubia, soon enough.

Spoiler :

was not that important and famous

See above... I only see a downvote for Maria Theresa... What am I supposed to see above? I see no downvotes on Hatshepsut at all, and thus no reasons :confused:

there were so many threads where I downvoted her I cant remember anymore. My reason this time is: Cleo is the better female leader for Egypt - IMO!

Catherine the Great 14 + 1 = 15 - let's make this interesting
Hatshepsut 21 - 3 = 18 - evening out the field of play
Wu Zetian 17

Catherine the Great 15-3=12 Go away boring tzarina
Hatshepsut 18
Wu Zetian 17+1=18 artist, leader, mother, queen bee

Catherine the Great (12-3)=9 I don't care much for Firaxis' beautification of the queen. Sure, she had plenty of lovers, but she didn't look like a 21st century supermodel. Civ3 version is the most accurate.
Hatshepsut (18+1)=19 Cleopatra is the queen promoted by prejudiced Eurocentrics. Hatshepsut is an actual Egyptian queen.
Wu Zetian 18

Catherine the Great 9-3=6 - Seems to be closest to elimination. Let's not make Tsarina's suffering much longer.
Hatshepsut 19+1=20 - One of the greatest Pharaohs of Egypt. The fact that we know about her even if Thutmose III tried to erase all evidence of her existence confirms that she was indeed a great Pharaoh
Wu Zetian 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom