1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Female Only Screenings of Wonder Woman - Sexist?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lemon Merchant, May 31, 2017.

1. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Actually, they come from the traditional family where one partner, usually the woman, would be at home and keep things tidy + care for children, and the other partner, usually the man, would work. In such a relationship the partner who stayed at home is obviously disadvantaged when it comes to the situation after a divorce, because the other partner spent most of the time during the marriage building the skills in whatever they work in, creating contacts at work and building a career while you spent your time supporting them, and creating an environment where that partner can focus on their work as much as possible.

For that reason, alimony laws are not gendered in principle, a well-earning woman also has to support her stay-at-home ex-husband for the same reasons, it's just a much less common case.

I can't say that I'm too well-read in the MRA movement, but the ones I stumbled on during discussions very much acknowledge that the dynamic of "Women were seen as needing protection, thereby men were forced to take on the role of the protector." exists, and from an evolutionary perspective, it is perfectly sound, too. They just don't accept it as the "Gotcha!" that you try to turn it into, and I have to say I very much agree that it's a non-argument.

Because even if we assume that every case of discrimination against men originally stemmed from discrimination against women, it is still the case that discrimination against men now stands on its own. Just fighting against discrimination of women does not on its own remove discrimination against men, that's just a flawed conclusion that so many third wave feminists try to push. Men's issues need to be tackled directly.

2. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Just another creative way to advertise a movie and increase sales.

3. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

Hey, we are co-opting capitalism to our intellectual benefit!

4. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

:lol::thumbsup:

5. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Disinterested Observer Super Moderator

I completely agree. That's why I have a problem with the whole thing. I think these kinds of things are good, it just that the women I have spoken to don't think it's fair for men to have a men's only night at the movies. They feel that is discriminatory to women. How screwed up is that logic? They can't see that there is a double standard.

That's what I'm upset about. Let them have their special screening, but own your double standard, girls.

6. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

Alimony arose in a time where men were primarily breadwinners, so of course it was mostly a gender-specific thing due to practical circumstances, but it was never written or intended to be exclusively for women. The determination for alimony is based on the earning potential of spouses and the lifestyle the spouses lead, with the goal being that as far as it is practical, one party should not face a dramatically more modest lifestyle as a result of divorce while the other enjoys the same lifestyle unabated, absent an agreement to the contrary. Many times men simply don't ask for alimony even when they are entitled to it, which is stupid and likely is a big factor in why so few men are awarded alimony in a divorce settlement.

Contrary to popular belief, alimony is not considered "payback" for women who stayed home and watched children and tended to the home, because it applies equally to homemakers and working moms. However a woman who was a homemaker likely would see a higher alimony award than a woman with real earning potential, due to the higher payments required for a homemaker to maintain her lifestyle without an existing source of income, especially if she doesn't have any marketable job skills. Of course, there is an expectation that a divorced spouse formerly reliant upon the other spouse's earnings begin supporting themselves financially eventually, and alimony will typically be reduced or eliminated over time.

7. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

I'm really trying to come to grips with this, but I can't think of any other actual "screening restricted to [group]" examples to judge if my response is rational or not. Anyone?

But off the cuff, men are not prevented from seeing the movie in normal mixed audiences right? How does it hurt them if there are female only screenings?

EgonSpengler likes this.
  8. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

The same theater chain - Alamo Drafthouse - has done screenings for veterans and for active-duty military personnel. I don't know what the movies were.

The numbers aren't available yet, but we can assume that Wonder Woman will be in ~4,000 US theaters (3800-4200 is the norm for big releases). The article I read said there were 5 women-only screenings, although they sold out pretty much instantly, so there may be more now. Just one of the two multiplexes near me is showing the film fifty-seven times on opening weekend (seriously - 19 showings a day through the weekend). Also, the Alamo will be donating the profits from these special screenings to Planned Parenthood.

9. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

I mean, the world is still pretty brutal to women ( if we're talking about the whole world. )

This is silly and crass and I'd sincerely advise against it if I were asked, but it doesn't offend me in the slightest. We're talking about a world where, even in the free world, we're struggling to get morons to see women as more than walking eggs, I'll take it in stride.

10. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

Still, having someone handle **** at home makes work WAY easier.

I can see, given the divorce rate and such, how many would be loathe to make this bargain, but you can work 100 hours a week if you have a full-time homemaker having your back. Basically this 'silent support' is enabling your career, so the logic does make a very specific kind of sense.

11. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Thanks, that leaves me equally unconcerned as expected.

It seems the whole thing is controversial only because it allows the usual suspects to fight the usual culture wars around feminism. While I agree that a male only screening would probably be way more controversial (also for no real reason), I don't get why the correct response then is to create a similar outrage in this case?

12. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Well, is there really outrage? The OP mostly focused on the double standard, the people in this thread seem to be okay with it but also point out the double standard... even the quotes from the CNN article are people being annoyed by the double standard and not people saying that these screenings are terrible.

That seems to be entirely reasonable critique of current culture to me.

13. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

Plus the screening was clearly done in a "haha take that men! girl power!" fashion. They were specifically looking to piss people off.

I say let them have as many women-only screenings as they want. Make the double standard as apparent as possible.

The world is brutal to men as well, arguably more so (in terms of violence, dangerous jobs, etc).

14. metatron

metatron unperson

Age is not protected in the following ways:
    In many of the municipalities where they are doing this it's actually straight up illegal. Clear and obvious violation of city ordnances or state law. They are basically relying on negative advertisement. Actually turning men away could turn out very, very badly.

Why is that so?
    Because many municipalities ban discriminatory access to public accomodations (such as "motion picture houses") based on sex, gender identity and sexual orientation.
    Democrats in Congress have actually tried repeatedly to make such a ban federal law, largely by ammending such language to an already enforced act.

Which one?
    I didn't use such a weird term as "motion picture house" at random.
    It's from the act they seek to ammend (those MRA Democrat bastards!).
    Precisely it's part of the operating phrase of...
    Section (3) of Title II of the 1964 Civil Rights Act

Discrimination.
    It's cute when women do it.
    (You know, just like murder and rape).

Anyway:
    I strongly suggest you remember what you wrote in this thread next time you're off on some gay-wedding-cake witch hunt.

[find dumb reason to do the following]
    [insert photage of Laci Green immitating, mockingly, inner city female vernacular, posture and attitude]

Spoonwood likes this.
  15. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I think you might want to investigate the difference between "motion picture house" and "screening." A gym is a "public accommodation." Gyms routinely offer separate rooms where women can train without the "meat market effect." Men are denied access to that room, but not the "public accommodation" of the gym. Some gyms offer similar 'men only' training options, and some maintain a record of having offered such options but discontinued them for lack of interest.

It would make an interesting legal challenge to press, trying to identify a single screening as denial of access. It might be winnable, but it might not. I'd say that the odds against winning would be particularly long in a multiplex theater that ran an open gender screening on another screen at the same time, but even if they didn't have that option I think you'd be hard pressed to get a favorable ruling if they had one limited access screening among dozens.

16. metatron

metatron unperson

Are you sure your premises are firmly bolted down?
    You say a gym is a public accommodation? And i say: Dubious...
    Compared to the things listed in the Civil Rights Act a gym has that suspicious character of, you know, a club.
    And public accommodations generally have that air of spontaneity to them. People randomly walk in them, spontanely: Hotels, entertainment venues, stores, storefront services (like barbers), restaurants etc.
    Outside of particularly severe midlife crises people rarely do that with gyms.

Next step in the line, btw, would be women-only self-defense classes. Which are pretty clearly not public accommodations.

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, seems like it.

And I mean, I sort of understand the decision. From what I understand Wonder Woman is a rather silly character and most men would just make fun of her and/or oogle her bosoms. That would distract any women in the theatre and take away from their enjoyment of the movie if there are people openly mocking and/or drooling over their heroine.

If there was a movie out called "Wonder White Guy" then it would make sense for the movie to exclude black women, for instance. They will just be there to mock the character, so might as well limit access to white men only

18. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Can I ban gays from a man's only gym, or lesbians from a female's only, to avoid the "meat market effect"?
    Americans are sometimes weird with their "discrimination" thing!

19. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

There are gyms that operate on the same business model as a movie theater. You pay at the door to go in and benefit from the equipment therein. No one walks in and out randomly. That differentiates them both from stores.

As I said, it would be an interesting case to fight.

20. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Sorry guys . . . I only date females.