1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Female rulers

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Bad Wolf, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Shafer

Jon Shafer Civilization 5 Designer

Lots of interesting thoughts on this subject. Did an interview on it actually not too long ago, I'll see if I can dig it up.

- Jon

2. m15a

m15a Emperor

The issue is more subtle than that. Depending on what you mean by "doubling down on the sexy women", I could possibly be mildly upset, extremely upset, or somewhat happy (if it means simply twice as many female leaders than in, say Civ V vanilla). There are definitely other games that have made me uncomfortable to play in the past and it is theoretically possible that Civ 6.

Anyway, brianshapiro, who you responded to, is one person that did in fact express a negative opinion about Civ Rev, which is the opinion you responded to. I'm assuming that screen name belongs to an actual human being (please correct me if you're an AI, brianshapiro) and also one that played Civilization in the past, disproving your argument that those that would be offended wouldn't play Civ in the first place.

3. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

Yea, I wouldn't say offended, but I think what CivRev did wasn't appropriate. What is pretty offensive is to say something like: if you think it's inappropriate, you belong in ISIS.

4. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

My issue is that "inappropriate" is often used to justify censorship.

We certainly don't want to shame women from being able to display their bodies. Especially when we have topless Aztec and Iroquois leaders.

In the same vein, why shouldn't we have topless female Celtic leaders as well?

And for what it's worth, I don't think you belong in ISIS.

5. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

Lots of things are used to justify censorship. Comparing people's views to ISIS is also used to justify censorship of those views. ;)

6. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Either way, if we're okay with shirtless male Aztec and Iroquois leaders then we should be okay with shirtless female leaders.

Maybe with nipple tassels or coconut bras but frankly I already consider those to be a form of censorship unless they have some solid historical precedent.

7. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

Lol, well there are plenty ways Cleopatra can show skin without it being as pandering, if you want to go for that.

Anyway, maybe this is getting off topic.

8. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

There's nothing pandering about topless women if we don't consider topless men pandering.

But yes, let us return to the topic. The topic of needing more women in Civ. Hopefully attractive.

9. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HistoricalBeautyUpdate is always an option, as it was done to Catherine and Boudicca, among few others.

10. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Are you trying to tell me this isn't a historical accurate ancient Aztec?

Spoiler :

11. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

Actually, this annoys me a lot, especially in films that pay a lot of attention to historic detail, setting, costuming. Particularly the anachronistic standards of beauty, since sometimes its really, really obvious and rips you outside of the milieu they're meticulously trying to recreate.

12. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

No.
    Spoiler :

Maybe because less-than-attractive people who happen to be good and successful actors/actress are pretty rare...

13. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

It's also hard to find bankable actors of today who would match the beauty standards of yesteryear.

Can you imagine Amy Schumer trying to play Catherine the Great or Marie Antoinette?

And I think if we're still casting Northern Europeans as ancient Egyptians, we have bigger problems than just accurate body types.

14. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

Or English as Italians, or Koreans as Japanese !

15. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Or Australians and Brits as Romans.

Complete with Australian and British accents.

16. cakes

cakes Prince

with the current art style i don't think they're going for authentic topless leaders

17. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

By that logic we shouldnt have Zulu

18. Novu

Novu Warlord

Supposedly Cleopatra first met Julius Caesar while topless and only wearing her jewelry.

Spoiler :

Beauty update of Cleopatra with obvious anachronistic bikini top.

Then there is also Queen Dido though she may never existed at all.

Spoiler :
    Famous statue of Queen Dido in the Louvre Museum

Queen Zenobia
    Spoiler :
    Painting by John William Waterhouse 1891

19. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

There's a lot of civ fans who feel that, no, we shouldn't have the Zulus either. Not when, there's a whole continent of rich and varied cultures that they get picked over, repeatedly.

20. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

But not all of them defeated entire British line infantry regiments with shields and spears.

Finally someone gets it. It's actually historically irresponsible not to have topless women in Civ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.