1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Feral Workers

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Coburn, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Coburn

Coburn Chieftain

I'm playing C3C and have automated my workers who insist on crossing into my neighbour's territory to build a railway (or whatever). The neighbour keeps warning me to remove my units from his territory, and I then select the worker to turn off the automatic function. The problem is that I have about two dozen workers who are automated, who insist on crossing into my neighbour's territory, so I have to turn off the automate function on the whole lot. Which means I have the tedious task of micromanaging their actions thereafter.

Any suggestions on how I can maintain an automatic setting, yet keep the workers outside of my neighbour's territory?

2. peanut35

peanut35 Chieftain

you could use a worker function, the advanced functions, that tell your workers to improve only around a specific city, i don't know the command, but you can get it from one of the Keyboard command sheets, they are somewhere on this site, i will edit when i find them. But they will only work on the tiles of one city, and when done you could then move them to other cities.

Edit: http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/reference/
    here you can find keyboard short-cut sheets, that will tell you the advanced worker actions.

P.S. - you can also activate the advanced worker actions under preferences.

3. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

That is what you get with autoamted workers. Note that having them work on a given city is not going to always stop that. Often they have to go to a tile of yours that is across water and surrounded by another civs.

Two dozens workers is nothing, scores is more the norm and you just have to manage them. Just be glad you are not at war with them or you would have no workers soon.

4. MSTK

MSTK Chieftain

You can automate your workers?

It sounds like a neat feature, but...why would you want to do that?

5. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

You really wouldn't.

6. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Chieftain

The permanent solution is to take over your neighbor. ;)

You could also sign a right of passage to stop their complaining.

7. nullspace

nullspace Chieftain

AFAIK, the only times workers go into another civ's territory is to bring water to your own territory by irrigating. Could that be what your automated workers are doing? If that's the case, you should let them do it so you get some irrigation. Also, workers can spend many turns in another civ's territory before you get "get out or declare war".

8. biggamer132

biggamer132 Chieftain

They usually want to kill you by then anyways. :(

9. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Nullspace you can see workers cross others lands to get to your tiles. This is sometimes the case when you have a land inside your city borders and a water in between. So you have one tile on that other land and the adjacent tile is the other civs.

Automated workers will walk over there to work the tile and trespass on the way. At least I recall seeing that back in the ealry vanilla days. I would be well on my way and foolishly automate a few workers and boom they would do something like that.

10. onomastikon

onomastikon Dual Wielding Banjos

Workers will migrate often -- it sounds like the original poster has Electricity anyhow, since workers have been building RRs for a while (and if not, it surely wont be far off), so irrigation cannot be a reason.
    I dont automate anymore, unless it is shift-P for cleaning up pollution. In the later game,

11. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

The usual reason I see it is if I have a divided territory.. of course usually that means I have acquired it in a War and therefore have temporary good relations with the intermediate civ... The problem I run into is when I want to eliminate that intermediate civ witrhout taking a reputation hit for having units (workers nonetheless) within enemy territory when I declare war... since I usually automate them once I am beyond a certain size.

The only solution is to de automate, wipe them out and then reautomate.

12. Hunter Noventa

Hunter Noventa Overlord

It's rather annoying how they complain about workers, who can't even do any damage. Unless you count changing terrain improvements damage.

What's odd is that they'll complain once about an empty transport, and never again until you leave for a turn and come back.

13. popewiz

popewiz Chieftain

The AI always complains the first turn your boats are in his territory. After that it is really rare for them to kick you out. It does start happening more after magnetism.

Related to automated pollution clearing, if there is no pollution on your territory what do those workers do?

14. TomOC

TomOC Monarch

I believe that if you have a boat full of troops, they may be more likely to kick you out. If there are no troops in the boat they tend to leave it alone.

If there is no pollution, they sit in a nearby city and wait. Be sure to select them first at the beginning of your turn if you want to stop the pollution automation, otherwise you loose that turn with that worker if you wait until the end of your turn.

100th post. [party] :dance: [party] :dance:

15. Hassenpfeffer

Hassenpfeffer Cobalt Thorium G Device!

I agree with DaveMcW... you as the player have the imperative to conquer everything in sight. Well, at least that's how I play. :p

16. Hassenpfeffer

Hassenpfeffer Cobalt Thorium G Device!

Oh, and congrats to you TomOC