Few questions about religions

DocRock

Prince
Hey guys,

I finally found the time to play some Civ again and I have a few questions about religions. My current game with Spain has an insane amount of faith per turn (~120) and I just hit the industrial era.

1. My neighbour Attila just founded the final religion, so his capital has now his religion. All his other cities believe in mine. will he be angry if I propose world religion?

1a. Would it be a good idea to use a GP on his capital?

2. I went Tradition - > Piety for Jesuit Education - > Rationalism, but I am nnot sure what victory condition to follow. Is there one that is tailored towards religious dominance? I could go all of them, but none really seems to be getting a significant advantage of my religion. Maybe DV bbecause of Tithe. or an SV because Jesuit Education?

1. yes
1a. situational, too many factors to consider to answer without a lot more info (but even if you convert his cap, he'll still be mad if you propose World Religion)
2. there really isn't a VC tailored for religious dominance, but diplo (because CSs following your religion have a reduction in influence decay) and cultural (because getting World Religion passed will give a 50% tourism bonus in your holy city, and there is also a 25% tourism bonus with civs that follow your religion) seem like the most natural. Jesuit Education, of course, does help with SV, but if you're spreading your religion, you're also spreading Jesuit Education (it's one of the Reformation beliefs that non-founders benefit from as well...)

Crus8r

Oh I didn't know that a shared religion reduces the influence decay, that's interesting. Usually I just tech to a key military unit and go Domination. But at the moment, being at peace with everyone just gives me more benefits (which kind of sucks ;) ).

Unfortunately I already lost some key cultural wonders, so a CV would mean going to war soon to conquer them. Guess I'll push to Freedom / Treaty Org soon and go for a DV then.

Regarding 1a, this is still an interesting question for me. What do you do with Civs that start their own religion? Is the only reliable way to convert them and keep them converted to conquer their holy city?

I mean, Attila started his religion 2000 years after I did. It's like a fully evolved, piety-based world religion vs a small startup religion with no backup. And still, there is no way but taking it by force?

Thanks!

Edit: Screenshot

Spoiler :

Regarding 1; If you just hover your mouse over the proposal option, at the bottom of the description of the proposal it'll tell you the other civs that will be happy or angry with your proposal. That's all you'd need to do to see if Attila would be mad at you or not.

1a. You can get away with converting one of his cities, but on his next turn he's going to ask you to stop. If you tell him you'll stop then he won't be mad at you. If you then convert another city he'll be PISSED. You also have the option to tell him you'll never stop spreading the one true religion. But, being a Holy City it'll reconvert on it's own.

With Tons of FPT you can buy a bunch of Great Engineers and save those to buy spaceship parts with the Order Ideology T3.

You can buy a bunch of Great Scientists and win pretty much however you wanted to because Tech is King.

You can't do it this game but if you fill Aesthetics then you can buy a bunch of Great Musicians in the later eras and do a bunch of music concerts for a CV.

Hovering does not help with World Religion, at least in my game. Doesn't show anything.

So basically, if you want to get rid of another religion you habe to destroy the holy city. That's the only way? No matter how strong your own one is?

What "key cultural wonders" did you lose? Because there's barely any, frankly. You can get insane amounts of Tourism from landmarks and museums alone with enough cities.

And you cannot ever fully get rid of another religion, no. You can't destroy the holy city either because it's a capital.

You could conquer it and then just keep missionary/prophet bombing it to prevent it from ever establishing another foothold.

In my experience it's enough to conquer it and then use a Gp once. The religion will never appear again.

I usually skip Cultural Wonders like Hermitage, Taj Macau, Sistines Chapel and only get those that help me grow. In this game I build Artemis, Oracle, Versailles and a few other I was able to grab with my Capital. As you can see in the Screenshot, the start was pretty great so I was able to beat the Al at a few wonders. The cultural wonders might not be mandatory, but imo it's pretty tough to go against an AI that spend 3000 years building up their culture. If you want to go for a CV, it helps to decide that early.

To eliminate a holy city, you need to conquer the city and then zap it with an inquisitor. Hitting it with a GP does not assure you that the holy city will not reemerge. Holy cities have special internal pressure to help them reconvert. Also, the AI can always spawn another GP and reconvert that city. If you hit it with an inquisitor, the holy city character is purged for good - even if the city reconverts to the AI's religion, it will no longer be a holy city.

Thanks Browd for clarification.

But still, I think it's strange that conquering is the only viable method. If a city is surrounded by a world religion, it be able to build up more religious pressure than a newly founded holy city. It's not like a can found a holy city in my backyard and that would be more important than 3000 years of Christianity.

So.. Regarding to my questions, this means:

- you cannot build a world religion without making 4 guys out of 8 angry
- if you want a world religion, you have to go on a warpath. At least that's realistic. ;)
- because there is no other way to convert a holy city constantly

Great. So a Religion in Civ 5 is basically just a small feature, with little incentive to spread ot. It's great to have, but it's ok on a small scale. Better use your faith for Engineers and Scientists I guess.

- you cannot build a world religion without making 4 guys out of 8 angry

Sure you can. You need to spread it to one of the other three civs and make THEM propose it (then those four angry civs won't be angry with you, just with the other guy).

And by "make" I mean "hope," can't force or even encourage it specifically outside of just spreading yours to them.

Top Bottom