[GS] Few questions about spies

Hitesh12

Chieftain
  • Are the effects of a spy's counterspying operation in the adjacent district as effective as the district they are on?
  • If I place 2 spies in 2 districts adjacent to each other, will both districts benefit from both the spies?
  • If I have 2 spies with the polygraph promotion, does there bonuses stack? Same question for the Quartermaster promotion
Right now I'm getting wrecked by the AI. I am playing as Mali and the one advantage I have is gold and the AI is taking away almost all of it. If this stacking works, I might be able to save myself

I might be able to save myself
I have a pretty good spy knowledge from lots of testing but have not tested this adjacency. I’ll try and have a look at it tonight. I very much doubt anyone but Firaxis knows because the testing is quite painful.
I do know quartermasters stack so why not others.... well because who would get promoted is an issue so maybe they just do not... so I suspect it will either add a level or more likely not at all as Firaxis seems lazy/cost efficient with coding.

In the meantime, if you do not have your l2 government building, get intelligence agency ASAP as that adds a level to your spies.
You are likely being hit hard in one city, if you have a save without mods I could identify where they are hitting you if you feel lost but it is very likely your largest gold place so you have a few choices, spread out your gold, this has a very good effect on diminishing what total they can take but does allow one particularly good player to take more (like Catherine)
If you keep it central, regardless of their spy abilities you will start capturing and killing with spies and this will level up your defensive spy which makes it much harder for them.
Use green cards that up your level also and any defensive promotions. Multiple quartermasters does help... also build an airport and harbour... it allows them stupid riskier escape routes.
EDIT:
Managed to identify that attacking spy adjacency makes no difference ...
(200 216 5 2659415619 sync Rolling Espionage Result)
defensive I am not suire I can test so will pass.

Last edited:
I have no reason to believe 'adjacent' spies would get any kind of bonus (since they're not combat units).

However, as they protect adjacent districts, I think it highly likely that they would perform independent, overlapping protection of districts. That is, if you have Spy A in city center protecting adjacent commercial hub and Spy B in commercial hub, it's probable that an enemy spy on the commercial hub triggers a detection check against both your defending spies, effectively doubling your chances of detecting the enemy.

Up to this point I was always trying to protect my best spaceport by placing multiple spies in adjacent districts. Today I learn it may not actually work :sad:.

I like having a adjacent spies for my main spaceport. Otherwise there's multiple BANGS! on the turn one of them is getting a promotion.

Up to this point I was always trying to protect my best spaceport by placing multiple spies in adjacent districts. Today I learn it may not actually work :sad:.
Once you have the Cold War card and a defensive spy (+2 lvls for counter) it gets a lot harder to get your spaceport but there is never any guarantee. Intelligence agency is a good 2nd level option for space victories.

I don’t have a main spaceport.
A chopping one and 2 mars ones.

Top Bottom