FFA01 - Free for all succession game

Some ideas, I think we could stand a chance taking on Alex across the river. If we drop a city here...

And drop the GA from Anazazi and start cramming troops over.
I'm so glad that I finally got to take Toky out, I always win before I get to him.

-IceLion

Nice job IceLion! I have been eagerly awaiting Toku's destruction! :goodjob:

Very interesting thought on crossing over to the other side. With the culture bomb that the GA would give that puts a different tact on crossing over. It appears that Alex razed many of Julius' cities along the way and there may be some more gaps that we can take advantage of. If we leave things alone we won't risk the close boarders spark tensions penalty for quite a long time and we could be good buddies with Alex.

I'd like to hear some input from a few others on this...

Other than that, it looks like Engineering in 2, then I think we should push for Optics and start cranking out some Caravels. While those are building, make some Settlers and Missionaries so when we meet our neighbors or uncharted areas, we can start converting/colonizing.

I also just noticed that we are breaking even economically speaking. We have a nice bankroll (558) and with a few more courthouses coming in and since we just built the colossus, I think we can afford to crank up our science to at least the 80-90% range.

Yep. I like IceLion's suggested settlement site, but it will be up to you if you want to take the leap across the pond :)

Objectives:
- Research Optics
- Build Missionaries and Caravels
- I have decided not to settle in Alex place, since we are in such friendly terms. Plus, we don't actually have a GA n Anazasi, its a GE.

IT (1200 AD):
Noticed that Alexandria has no unit fortified, will move Warrior from Helipolis to Alexandria.

As this is mostly some infrastructure buildings, I will only highlight the worthy turns. (I am sure no body is interested in what is being built in which turn)

T2 (1220 AD):
Engineering completes, research Optics

T5 (1250 AD):
Optics -> Philosophy (to get Liberalism)

T6 (1260 AD):
A Great Artist is borned in Osaka!

T8 (1280 AD):
Osaka is the holy city

Memphis started on Hanging Gardens
Philosophy -> Paper (to get Liberalism)

Summary Notes:
- I have move some of the troops to the nearby cities. Those originally in city remains there.

- Have been building some granaries and theatres in some of recently assimilated :borg: cities.

- One caravel is built (see pic below), two more on the way

- Three Jewish missionaries built, 2 in Alex's land, (see pics below), one in Caravel

- Memphis is working on the hanging Gardens. It has some health problem, so I built an aqueduct there too.

- Built a few archers, sent them to fortify in cities where there is no archer.

- Start building a Pikeman (since Aztec is notorious for sending Horse Archers)

- Workers has also byuild some cottages, farms, windmills and watermills. Also connected the land better, so that missonaries have a direct path to the coastal cities.

Hope I did not do too badly :sad:

Couple of Screenies:

Two Jewish missionary sent to Alex's land to convert more cities, and to uncover more of the fog in Greece

The Galley originally in Alex's island was bring back to the west coast. Intention is to explore the island on the west sea.

One Jewish missionary is in the Caravel to be sent eastward to "Go Where No Epgytain Has Gone Before". Notice that there is the free taoist missionary 2 tiles north of the caravel. I originally wanted to sent him into the caravel as well, but it was red out. (Caravel can only hold one unit?)

We have 3 cities in the top 5, of which 2 at the top spots :D

We are #1 in most categories, leading overwhelmingly in GNP and Pop, with comfortable margins in Mfg, Food, and Land. Power is a bit close. (But I don't know if the demographs take into account the Civs we have yet met? :hmm: )

Finally, the save:

Consider moving over to Alex's island carefully, if you decide to, make sure you move plenty of troops over. I agree with what Codeboy says about not having to worry about borders for a while, but Alex is notorious for backstabbing. At least every time I've ever played with him.

Been a while since I played this, and it looks like there's some exploration to be done, so I will take it. :)

BTW, from the first glance at the save, you did quite well, GreyFox. :thumbsup:

(And, of course, props to all others who've played so far. :D)

Vovan

Unless there's a major need or desire to settle on Alex's island... I'd suggest not giving him a reason (or opportunity) to come after us. We're "brothers in the faith" and that is enough for now. Adding close borders to the mix just eggs him on. Even if we could have culture bombed an expansion city, that would only force the issue.

If at some later point folks decide they want space on Alex's continent... we can take it by force instead. Lets take this peaceful period to explore the rest of the world and find another "brother".

I agree that giving Alex his space is probably the wisest course; in my experience he has a bad habit of building up insane sized stacks and then looking for somewhere to use them. If we're the only ones in range then a Sea defense is probably the best bet, so maybe we want some Caravels lined up (and kept at home) to sink any possible incoming fleet.

[0] 1300AD - I take stock of the nation. First of all, it looks like we could stand to improve our finances a little bit. Losing money at 40% gold? *gasp*. :) The civics look good. (Remember, we are Spiritual, so no anarchy to switch civics.) Some of my goals for this round are: to settle some on Alex's continent. (I believe we will need to take him out at some point, and so might as well make it easier for ourselves and establish a foothold on the continent now.) To that end, I take some of the troops from the conquered Japanese cities, and send them south, where they can be quickly transported. Also, some troops move towards the galley that is about to jump West and explore those lands there. I also contact Alex. :eek: Man, are we killing him in tech, or what! With this much advantage, I am almost tempted to attack him right now! :hammer: (BTW, I notice some of the units, like ships and missionaries, had some goto orders active. It is generally considered ethical in SGs to cancel all goto orders at the end of your turn, so the next player doesn't get any surprising movements.)

[1] 1310AD - We get paper. Research starts on Education, continuing the path to Liberalism that GreyFox has set us on. BTW, I, personally, would go for Nationalism now instead, to get access to the Taj Mahal, which we could surely build to get a GA.

Elephantine completes Caravel. Starts on Explorer, so that we can put him on the caravel and explore the lands we arrive to.

Kyoto builds forge and starts on courthouse to improve our finances some.

I load some units onto the west-bound galley, just in case we find some huts there. :)

Also, I notice we have a great artist and a great scientist. I think our research rate is good enough that we don't really benefit much from the "Research Tech" bit any more, so I decide it is prime time to kick off our Golden Age. :)

This is how the start of the Golden Age affects our economy.

I also contact Alex and buy his world map for 10 gold. :) Now that there is no need for our missionaries to perform fog-busting duties, they settle down in Antium and Thermopylae.

[2] 1320AD - Notre Dame completes in Thebes. Happy happy. :) The place definitely needs a Granary though so it can grow better.

Anasazi completes its Lighthouse, and starts on a Settler to send Alex's way.

[4] 1340AD - We have discovered Gems near Anasazi! The resource is already mined, but not yet roaded, and we don't yet have Gems elsewhere, I think. Excellent. Workers are immediately woken up and sent to Anasazi to road the mine. :)

[6] 1360AD - We get Education and enter the Renaissance era. :) Next up is, of course, Liberalism.

We also complete the Hanging Gardens.

[7] 1370AD - We meet Monty. :)

He doesn't like us because of the religious differences, but look at all those techs we are ahead of him by!

Also, Pi-Ramesses is founded in Greek lands. :) Some workers are on the way there, and more troops will also be transported in shortly.

[8] 1380AD - Alex wants to trade world maps. Riiight... How about a no. :D

Look what I found! :)

Good thing I took some of those troops with me, yes? :) Villagers give us 40 gold. Not too bad, I suppose.

[9] 1390AD - We get Liberalism. I chose Nationalism as our free tech. Firstly, it is second most expensive one available, and secondly, I do want that Taj Mahal for the second GA. :D (BTW, our first one expired this turn, and also Thebes started on the TM for the second one.)

Next on the order of business is Feudalism (because I want us to go Feudalism -> Guilds -> Banking -> Economics -> Free Great Merchant :)). With that, I revolt to Free speech, which gives us a little more income.

[10] 1400AD - The end of my turns.

Some after-turn pointers:

1. Another settler is in position on Alex's continent, ready to settle:

Note the galley is ready to transport another worker in to work the lands.

2. The situation with Pi-Ramesses.

Note that the galley here has another soldier to defend the city, just in case. Also note that I made a :smoke: move founding the city where I did. I should have put it one tile NW, and settled another city at Pink dot. Nonetheless, pink dot might be a good place to settle.

3. This island is reachable by galley:

Might want to put a city or two on there. :) There is a settler being built in Kyoto for that purpose, and one in Anasazi.

And that is all with settling plans. For now. :D

4. We are about to circumnavigate.

5. The missionary is in place to convert the final Greek city to Judaism.

We need to spread religion to the new cities, too, especially the ones in Greek territory, because we need all the culture we can get. It would be good to build some missionaries and send them over there, I just forgot about that. :smoke:

Finally, the demographics:

We are doing pretty well here.

Vovan

Also, I didn't see those other replies since I was playing the game, but I would like to address them nonetheless now that I have played the turn. :) It appears I am in quite a minority here, wanting to settle Alex's land. However, I would like to point out that we have very friendly relationships with him. -1 or -2 for close borders will not spoil them, I guarantee you. :) And any way, even if we lose those two-three cities we found on his continent, it's not like it will hurt us any. ;) I really think we have nothing to lose, only things to gain from settling on his land. If only that he won't be able to settle there, and the smaller we keep him, the better for us. So yeah, I still think I did the (a? :D) right thing. :D

And here's the save, too.

vovan said:
Also note that I made a move founding the city where I did. I should have put it one tile NW

Hmm... the spot one tile NW kinda looks like the spot I picked on my "dot map"..:mischief: :D. We'll forgive you this time... but just this once :nono: lol, next time I'll feed you to the machine :scan:. Excellent set of turns by the way!

IceLion said:
the spot one tile NW kinda looks like the spot I picked on my "dot map"..

I know. :) But when I got the settler there, I got to thinking: hey, if I found the city one tile SE, I could get the two ivory resources, and put better pressure on Alex's borders, so move the settler, settle city, fortify soldiers, ... D'OH! Crippled second city site! :)

Vovan

Top Bottom