1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

FFH Earth Large

Discussion in 'FfH2 Modmods, Scenarios, and Maps' started by Zomgmeister, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Zomgmeister

Zomgmeister Emerged Lurker

It's been a while.

Anyway, this is Large (not Huge) map of Earth for FFH. It isn't Huge, because we all played Huge Earth map more than once, and, well, it gets old if your name is not Neal. Smaller map = more action, less units and cities, more stable game in general, with just about all general epic Earth-conquering feeling.

Features and concepts of this map:​

— All Civilizations are included. Yeah, this world is crowded. Wars are inevitable.

— All Unique World features are included. Duh.

— Morphed world. Asia is shrunk, Chinese territory suffered most of all, but this sacrifice had to be taken. Europe is obscenely large, about the size of Africa. Both Americas are enlarged. All oceans are way smaller than they are in reality. Some islands are very pronounced.

Basically, this map is more true to history than to geography. Europe have to be a major battlefield. And Americas don't have to be plagued by green menace of Aztecs, doomed to primitivism. They have Doviello now, though. They are Canadian.

Another example, which can help you to understand choices made during map design is Bangladesh territory. In real world, population in this place is extremely dense. In this map, Bangladesh have several Grassland + Flood Plain tiles.

Of course, I can't pretend to build perfect simulacrum of everything, converted to FFH game terms. This is probably impossible. But still, I kinda tried. And constructive feedback is more than welcome, because some people are bound to have more knowledge about various world parts than I do.

— More workable tiles. This feature is essential for gameplay on this map. Basically you will see way less mountains than realistical Earth map should have. Reason for this is obvious: we have 19 Civilizations on Large map, dammit! We can't allow extra large mountain ranges and completely useless deserts. Basically only highest mountains are mountains in this map, while majority of respectable mountain ranges are presented by hills.

— Heightmap. Okay, this sounds way better than it is. On this map Hills means elevation, and it does not matter if the ground up there, in fact, hilly, or there is some kind of plateau. Lowlands = Flatlands. Highlands and majority of mountains = Hills. I am sorry, but Civilization IV engine just don't allow me to do more than that, as you undoubtely know.

— Koppen Climate Map. Can't say that this is precise or something, map is pretty deformed anyway and some places are really skewed. Still, I wanted to reach somewhat more realistic presentation of world climate zones. And again, focusing more on history than on geography.

For example, it is obvious that tropical and equatorial climate zones are potentially extremely fertile: it's wet and it's hot. But in our world majority of powerful civilizations came from temperate climate. Thus, just about all tropical and equatorial zones are not Grasslands, but Swamps. Sure, there are some Grassland tiles here and there, but in general you probably should aspire to colonize some temperate place if you want to have best land.

— Lots of fresh water. I can't say I like that fresh water, which can be used for farm irrigation, is kinda rare in Civilization IV. Because, if you think about that, Grassland means water by default. If there isn't any water, we are in a desert. So, I tried to put lots of relatively minor lakes and rivers. Some of shorter rivers don't present anything geographical, they are there just as sources of fresh water.

— Oil is Mana. Basically there are insane quantities of Mana resource on Arabian peninsula. There are notable Mana deposits in Venezuela, Libya, Canada, some in Texas, some in Russia — I basically checked out oil deposits map and tried to distribute Mana according to it. Of course, it is not precise, but probably could be interesting.

— Semi-realistic resourse distribution. Again, I checked mineral deposits map and, well, not everyone got everything. It is just as it is. Uranium is Gunpowder, by the way.

More than that! For example, Chinese and only Chinese (well, there are no Chinese on this map, but still) have Silk. Corn grows only in Americas. There are helluva lot bananas in Brazil. I don't want to list everything, just play and see for yourselves. Foreign trade is really good idea. And there is just not enough of everything for everyone, so go on and kill competitors or something.

— Various start locations. You can start isolated, semi-isolated or head-to-head with neighbors of different alignment.

Remember, this map has never been playtested much yet. Go on, play it and tell us a story. I want to try to keep it somewhat balanced. If, for example, in several games Illians would be beaten by Hippus, I will try to fix something. Of course, Earth map is classicaly prone to some patterns, like superpower China, Persia colonizing straight to the north up to Arctica, and Montezuma vassalizing/killing Roosevelt. I would like this map to be less predictable.

Current version: 1.4​

I keep testing and polishing map. Changes may seem minor, but they come in packs, and they are vital in complex. If you had downloaded previous version, consider to re-download it now and to keep updating it in near future. Of course, soon this constant patching and updating fever will end, and it's you who can make it faster: just playtest the map and post results. Need more data to attain perfection.

Attached Files:

2. Zomgmeister

Zomgmeister Emerged Lurker

First update, version 1.2​

— Buffed starting positions.
    Spoiler :
    • Doviello — lots of Deers, they had trouble. Somewhat buffed north Canada, just to give these guys some chance to expand.
    • Sidar — a few Pigs, conveniently placed fresh water.
    • Clan of Embers — converted some Jungle to Forests, added some clams, they were too weak.
    • Kuriotates — again, converted few Jungle to Forests, added one Gem and one Ivory, their starting city location was very weak.
    • Svartalfar — added one oasis to make them more competitive with Ljosalfar, they seem to do fine overall, taking into account their barren homeland.
    • Illians — moved one fish to better location.
    • Lanun — same as Illians.

— Fixed oceans. Atlantic and Indian oceans actually were made from “coast” water type before, now they are deep as they should be. It is still possible to get from Old to New World with lowly workboat through Iceland and Greenland, and this is intended.

And yes, around-the-world race is being done by workboats now. I don't want to make Atlantic Ocean and/or Pacific Ocean through Bering Strait completely impassable without Optics, just because it is not true. So if you are planning to rule sea-spanning empire, start working on it as early as it is possible.

— Minor map changes. Most notable is changing Hawaii, they are forested-jungled now, with one hill and lots of seafood. I kinda forgot about them. Also, brought more seafood and Pearls to all Oceania. Lanun may find it especially tempting to colonize these islands.

— Arabian peninsula is a bit more habitable. Added several short rivers in desert hills, with flood plains. Hope this will make these lands more viable for AI to settle in. Arabian peninsula is still pretty much barren, except for nice seafood in Red Sea and Persian Gulf, and Oil-Mana is probably only reason why someone would think to colonize this desert.

Version 1.3 changes​

— Small shifting of resources. Mostly in Australia. Will continue to do it for a while, won't report again unless it is something substantional.

— Moved Clan of Embers starting location. They fared extremely poorly in Cambodia. Hope they'd like Northern Vietnam.

— Reworked India. Khazad seem to kill or seriously maul Kuriotates right away. I believe that is because their starting land sucks for everything but warrior spam. Not their fault, so I decided to buff Kuriotates more instead nerfing Khazad. It is possible that they will be nerfed later, because they tend to grow just a bit more powerful than their neighbors.

— Buffed Bannor. They began to expand too late, and this place of the map is in dire need of some strong competition to Khazad and Balseraphs.

— Slightly improved Calabim starting position. Moved one Wine, added one Fish. Granted them a few Hills, with Settler standing on the oh so very much coveted Plains Hill. Hope they will be able to expand and then to fight Balseraph madness.

— Punched Balseraphs to their faces. Seriously, what I was thinking? They started in Portugal, their closest competitors were (and are) Calabim in Turkey, and Calabim had weak starting position plus are boxed by Bannor. Balseraphs expand to whole continental Europe, and this means much on this map.

So, from now on, Balseraphs are moved out from Portugal. They start in Germany now, which may or may not make sense from perspective of merging lore with our world, but it is done. While they still have Western Europe for themselves, they are boxed from east by Calabim and Bannor. Balseraphs capital is not invulnerable now, moved from safety of Iberia. And, by the way, if Lanun are controlled by competent human, Balseraphs' western lawn is pretty contested too.

Oh, and their starting location is not very impressive. It is far from being bad, just that most people around here got better stuff.

— Added more Tribal Villages. On islands. Unfortunately AI is probably too thick to use it, but this is nice gift for sentient seafarers out there.

By the way, this map right now have at least three, maybe even four or five potentially competitive nice starting locations for modmod Civilizations, and several more less hospitable, but viable.
    Spoiler :

• Iberia — was too nice, but right now, with Balseraphs as neighbors, it is far from being paradise. Still, possibly best unclaimed spot in the world.
    • Brazil, near Salvador — this location may need some food resource allocation, and it is pretty fine after that.
    • Western Siberia, to the east of Ural Mountains. Somewhere near that Well of Bradeline, or maybe just a bit south, in Kazakhstan. Right now this is desolate yet contested territory, with Russian Bannor, Persian Khazad and Mongolian Hippus possibly claiming it for themselves. Could still hold someone, though that Civilization will have hard times with neighbors like forementioned.
    • Congo Bazin — for these lizardmen. No one else could stand this hellhole as starting location.
    • Southern Argentina — need more food, and probably is too cramped with all these pesky Peruvian Svartalfars. Dunno about it.
    • France, with already filled Iberia — let the war begin. Probably a bit too extreme.
    • Canada near Hudson Bay — far from being hospitable, it definitely is in need of some buffing in case of converting to starting location.
    • USA West Coast — many neighbors around, you are locked in by barren hills and mountains, and still this place doesn't seem too bad.
    • Morocco — not much land to expand peacefully, but you always have some neighbors to kill. After minor tweaking, starting location could become very nice.

So! This map definitely can hold several newcomers. I myself have no idea how to convert it to Orbis, RifE, Wildmana or whatever else. Or if it is actually possible to do it. Just pointing that this could be interesting, and if someone is able to do it — you are more than welcome.

Version 1.4 changes​

— More Mountains. Decided that since actually no one bothers to settle at north of Taklamakan desert, it is possible to paint Tian Shan as mountains, opposed to hills. Won't hamper gameplay much or at all, but good from cosmetic point.

— Minor nerf of India. Kuriotates seem to fare too good. Minor nerf, hopefully not crippling, but slowing a bit.

— Minor nerf of South Africa. Sidar grew too fast. Land was too resource-rich. It still is, just not so much.

— Calabim changes. Geographically, small improvement of starting spot — added some fresh water, improving commerce of several tiles. More importantly, change of leader. Hope that Alexis will be better in this early contested zone. Flauros, with all due respect, is way more powerful with large, established empire, which he never seem to be able to build on this map.

— Moved Khazad to Europe. Several bunnies were slaughtered with this move.
    Spoiler :
    • Khazad will cease to destroy Kuriotates during first 150 turns.
    • Khazad will have more green and balanced starting spot, probably calming them a bit.
    • Europe is contested zone now. Balseraphs are in potential trouble.
    • Persia, as arguably part of Middle Asia, is now pretty lifeless. And I like it that way, good barbarian breeding spot, menace for all civilized world.

So, Khazad are German now. Balseraphs are Catalonian.

— Redrawn Nile and moved Malakim accordingly. Poor bastards were killed several times in a row by Samhain frostlings. They were overloaded by food and commerce, but really lacked any hammer sources. And new layout of Nile is more correct geographically anyway. Malakim have several hills in their capital BFC now.

— Added more Whales to Indonesia and Oceania. It's Pacific Ocean, dammit! Japanese Luchuirp are in need of some fresh meat. Australian Grigori won't complain just the same.

Good news, the map appears to be way more balanced now. Of course, some Civilizations do have inherent geographic advantages over their neighbors, but I can't see any definite doomed losers or unquestioned superpowers.

3. Tholal

Tholal Emperor

Sounds very interesting! I'll have to try it out sometime soon.

4. Erzherzog

Erzherzog Chieftain

This just about fulfills my dream!!!

Thank you soooo much, Zomgmeister! :goodjob:

5. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Sweet?

6. Verdian

Verdian King

I am really enjoying the map (v1.3) as the Kuriotates. I rushed into central Russia with my second settler and then created settlements between there and India (claiming lots of mana and locking in the Khazad). I crushed the Clan with Centaur and took over Korea and parts of China. Now I am going to work on the middle east, which remains uninhabited. I want that mana, and spring should make it a nice area for a huge, sprawling metropolis. Again, great map!

7. Erzherzog

Erzherzog Chieftain

I don't know if it's because of my lack of fantasy or what, but I really enjoy playing FFH on Earth(-like) maps...

I was playtesting the map a bit... Amongst all good things about this map, I liked the relative sizes of the continents and Earth-Erebus parallelism the most. I got an impression of mana being too plentiful around the map. Mana is supposed to be kinda rare, so it can be sought anf fought for. AI and most of the human players won't just trade the excess of it. I would suggest tweaking down Arabia, since Calabim/Malakim/Kuriotates are pretty OP if they get it (desert? no problem, nothing a good old Spring can't fix, and there's plenty of fish in the sea...). I would also rearrange civs a bit for balance purposes:

-Illians in Canada
    -Dovielo in Scandinavia (DoVIKINGello raids!)
    -Calabim in Egypt and Malakim further west in Sahara
    -Amurites in Istanbul (they should be given a chance to get the mana bonanza IMHO)
    -Elohim to the East coast of USA
    -Khazad in the eastern Siberia (so they could mine as much as they'd like)
    -Hippus further southwestward to Middle Asia (great steppes)

These changes would let Europe take a breath for a while, while populating Siberia and Africa on the other side.

Great job! :goodjob:

8. Tholal

Tholal Emperor

Good map! Though it took me a little bit to realize I had to load it as a scenario.

I also have some suggestions on starting spots:

Hippus should be a little west, bordering on the steppes. This will give the Lurchurip more of a chance to get a foothold on the mainland and the more open steppes area should help out the Hippus.

Move the Sheaim slightly west. They like to plant their second city in the eastern jungle, which is not a good start for them.

Move the Lsjolfar slightly north so they dont start in the middle of the jungle.

9. vivictius

vivictius Prince

Nice, Im giving it a try right now. Any though to making it even more crowded by having a RifE version?

10. Tholal

Tholal Emperor

Is the link in your original post still correct? I have a version of your map dated March 10th, but it doesnt seem to have your latest changes. For example, the Malakim still don't have any hammers in range of their capitol.

11. vivictius

vivictius Prince

Got it working in RiFE and added a few more of their civs, havent figured where to put them all yet though.

Attached Files:

12. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Awesome. ;)

For the new civs:

• Archos - Seem fine where you have them.
    • Austrin - Have some scotts-irish flavor; I'd move Lanun to the eastern US, and put Austrin in England.
    • Chislev - Australia, just to avoid putting them in the US. :lol:
    • Cualli - Near the Mazatl, but not too close; Rather like you have the Elves.
    • Dural - Maybe in the US? Lots of room there.
    • Jotnar - Fine where you have them.
    • Kahdi - Technically, should be near Amurites.
    • Mazatl - Near their UF
    • Mechanos - Fine where they are.
    • Scions - Where you have them works fine; Desert is the preference there.
    • D'tesh - Middle East. D'tesh is a former Amurite, so should be close to them, and their empire is in the desert, so it's a perfect fit.

13. vivictius

vivictius Prince

Not sure there is realy room for another civ on the East coast of the US, with the Mechanos already there, maybe Cuba for the Lanun or one of the islands around SE Asia. Hum... well, I wont get to it today anyhow.

I did notice some of the name tags are not done properly, I'll try and update that this week.

14. vivictius

vivictius Prince

Names fixed and all the civs added to this one.

Attached Files:

15. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

I would have put the elves in siberia for lots of forest. Isn't south america more jungle then woodland?

16. FireBlaze

FireBlaze King

South America is woody-ish. Although I've found that the Lanun have a very hard starting point. Why don't you put them in England or Sweden instead?

17. Humakty

Humakty Happy Goblin

I'm sad : I always wanted a large map, because it fitted my rig, but now there is one, the AIs ultra productivity forces me to play standard size at max.

Ouin ouin.

EDIT : Bravo ! Awesome work !

18. warschlumpf

warschlumpf Chieftain

Hi Zomgmeister !
    think you can get it working for Rife 1.3 ?????:)

19. none

none si vis pacem para bellum

I've started a game with that map and it is really fun to play the mod with an earth map. I'm having a great time conquering Europe with the Khazad. Thank you Zomgmeister!