[FfH II Art Team Blog]

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by seZereth, May 19, 2007.

1. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

Showing off seZereth's first attempt at a new Interface for FfH.

Unfortunately his amazing skills are slightly being gimped by my programming aptitude in that I haven't allowed him completely control over the appearance of the screen quite yet. But as you can see, it is still amazing (and I bet even though it rocks he still doesn't think it is good enough, and more awesomeness will ensue).

If you want to start using it immediately, you can pick it up along with the code required to use it in my MODCOMP

View attachment 182870

View attachment 182871

2. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed. It isn't horrible, but I was expecting much better from seZereth. I'm sure it will probably get better if he keeps working on it, but I'm thinking that making a Coral Reef feature for me would be a better use of his time. ;)

3. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

4. seZereth

seZereth FfH´s art monk(ey)

lol guys.
    i am definitely not happy with it, it was just a first draft, just to see how things work out and such.
    I´ll do something better as soon as i have time for that.
    didnt even think xienwolf would post that!!

5. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

Yeah, I don't think clearly at midnight :) Hadn't dawned on me that I didn't actually have permission to distribute it until after I made the post. My appologies on that end, but I personally do think it is better than the default at the least!

6. seZereth

dont worry ;)

But I think the pic shows, that it might be better not to use transparency on the hud.

does anyone think, the transparency of the hud actually improves visibility, or overview or whatever you want to call it?
    I think it might be better to design the interface opaque (the transparency also makes the colours of the papers very dull).
    I have some more ideas, lets see, but i think it will be hard to find one hud which actually satisfies the taste of everyone ;)

7. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

True, can't see any of the scrollwork on the page with the Transparency. Fortunately that is rather easily tested :)

View attachment 182920

View attachment 182921

I also flipped the right side of the City screen around so that both sets of scrollwork had the loose flaps on the outside, instead of on the left.

IMO the scrolls on the sides in City view could use some details.

8. seZereth

Ok, i think no transparency looks much better (while those pieces there were just rushed together, so I think i can do much better ;))

But the question is, is the scrolls and books look good?
    or better something more abstract?

9. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

For the default (no Religion) Books & Scrolls work well IMO. Grigori and any other Agnostics will have to live with that all game long (well, I could allow the no religion option to change by Era, then you'd have to make 2 more HUDs which few people will see. Or I could allow for Civ specific HUDs, then you'd need to make 21 more, which conflict with Religions :p)

10. BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone Windbag of the sea

I like the transparency - will it be setable (not a word, that) by the user?

11. seZereth

small update 14.o7.o8

12. MagisterCultuum

Ars is awesome.

His horse does look a bit weird though. It seems strange that you can see its skeleton along its spine. It might be cooler if the hose was entirely Skeletal (the same might be true for Death Knights, although I forget how currently lok at the moment).

Or is that not partially skeletal horde, but just barding made of bones? I guess that could be it, although I'd expect barding to protect the more vulnerabel parts of a horse's body. It should at least have a Peytral to protect its chest if that is that case. It laso appears that he horse has no Eyes (or even eye sockets), which I find odd.

13. jimi12

jimi12 Half Jedi

that looks amazing!

i assumed it was a horse with skeletal armor.

14. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

Ars Moriendi is really amazing! I agree though that it seems a bit weird that horse skeleton seems to be attacked outside its skin.

I have a question about future plans about ffh2 art.
    When you guys are planning to work on the art of wonders, shrines and buildings?
    Will there also be new movies for wonders?

15. smjjames

smjjames Emperor

nice :)

Although the banner art (in the pedia and in xienwolfs manual) should be changed to look more skeletal IMO

16. Kael

Kael Deity

I disagree. A skeletal horse is cool, but fairly typical. The thing I like about all of seZ's art is he never recreates typical fantasy motifs, but always tries to push and make something new and unique. More power to him! :D

17. Psychic_Llamas

Psychic_Llamas Wizard in the Making

:wow: seZ, that is absolutely stunning, im gob-smacked, seriously great stuff. I agree with Kael, the thing about seZ's work that is the best, is that it pushes the boundaries of what we currently know as 'typical fantasy', and for me, ive come to picture a lot of fantasy stuff in seZ's depictions rather than the typical way :p

18. MagisterCultuum

I have no problem with only the Horse's armor being made of bone instead of the horse being skeletal, but if that is the case I'd like to see it have more complete armor. Also, I think the horse needs eyes.

19. Psychic_Llamas

Psychic_Llamas Wizard in the Making

the horse does have eyes... theyre black, suitably death like. and i dont think its armour or his actual skeleton, just decoration. or if you must find a use for it, it could be some form of mind control device, enchanted bones that have fused with the animals nervouse system that ars morendi is using to control the steed so it dosnt run away.

either way its still the bomb-diggity

20. seZereth

thanks guys.

First of all, i think, as soon as an artist has to explain what his creation is supposed to be, he failed. But I´ll give a short comment about the Horse.
    Read if you don´t like to just use your imagination about why the fourth Horseman looks like he does.

Spoiler :
    I think it is always hard to make a "demon" look "realistic" or "correct" or whatever. So, I think the horsemen don´t ride real (animal) horses.
    The four Horsemen are fears of the gods taking physical form and thus have more or less a symbolic "look". And considering their high in game strength, I think that it is quiet plausible, that the horsemen are not completely physical and such do not need a heavy armor (buboes has one, because he resembles "war" and such is quiet fitting)
    Ars´s pedia entry speaks about a skeletal hand and a pale horse.
    That was the starting point for my design. I considered to leave the horse simply "naked" and pale. But then it looked not too interesting and I tried around with some designs and ended up with the bone / spinelike decoration/barding. And it really is supposed to be only decoration. Making the horse Ars´s personal one.

If you look here:
    http://img117.imageshack.us/my.php?image=arsmorendinotextda6.jpg
    You will see, there are eyes (horses do have black eyes, and the eyes of Ars´s Horse are covered or "shadowed" by the bone barding on top of that).