1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

FFH: Which Version Should I Use?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Babale, May 3, 2011.

1. Babale

Babale Chieftain

I hate the MegaUltraSuper Stacks of Doom. Not only do 900 hunters in every elven city accomplish nothing, not only are they ridiculously tedious to defeat, not only are they stupid and dumb, they also make my computer lag like hell. So, I want to return to an older version of FFH (Unless there's a patch or modmod that fixes this easily?)

What is the newest version of FFH that does not include ridiculously huge stacks that scream "This civ's leader is making up for something"? What awesome stuff (Religions, units, spells...) would I be missing out on if I went that far?

Thanks in advance,

~Babale

2. Eerdna

Eerdna Chieftain

have you tried magic againts those uber stacks? they would be reduce to dust before you could know it.... anyway... yhe most stable version is "vanilla" FFH2, but modmods add more features like guilds (corporations) new religions, new mana nodes, new civs, etc... if you actually hate so much sod... use sheaim + pire zombie... 20 PZ vs 900 (insert any non fire imune enemy)... PZ WIN!

3. Babale

Babale Chieftain

Killing them isn't HARD per say (although I do need a bunch of units, unlike Vanilla Civ... So no elite squad of heroes steamrolling enemies). It's just tedious. And worse, it makes my game lag.

4. Eerdna

Eerdna Chieftain

Sadly... FFH is a mod that uses a lot of resorces from the CPU, the only way to try to stop it from doing it is to play in a different speed or a smaller map...

5. tesb

tesb Emperor

or use modmods that speed the game up. i have not played vanilla ffh in long while, but people who switch to Master of Mana (basically wildmana continued) often say that they spend less time waiting for the ai. keep in mind though that MoM changes a lot more then just a completely rewritten ai.

6. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

you should probably wait for Master of Mana 1.3, which will definitely get rid of giant stacks of doom.

7. Derf

Derf Modular Mushroom

AFAIK, at least the public development version of RIFE has xUPT, which only permits x amount of units on a tile - thus consigning such stacks to exist only as a memory.

8. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

it doesn't change the number of units overall though, so it will still lag for him :(

9. Horatius

Horatius Prince

10. deanej

deanej Deity

I believe .41g was the last version before the AI started to build large SODs.

11. Jarrema

Jarrema Master Voter

I never experienced such massive SODs when playin Tholal's More Naval AI, which is IMHO a lot better than 'vanilla' FfH.
    it does not change anything (almost) save for AI behavior

12. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

The limit applies to all tiles, including cities, so yes, it tends to reduce units overall. Unless you set the stack limit high. ;)

13. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

doesn't it cause carpet of units effect a la Civ5 though? or does the AI build less units because of it?

14. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Not in my experience, no; But keep in mind, we do NOT have the code that Sephi and Kael added to get the AI to build stacks of hundreds. Sephi removed that in MoM, but it's still in FfH.

15. SergiuSS

SergiuSS Chieftain

any chance to find an older version somewere or somehow of ffh when the AI did't build stacks like this it was way more entertaining before

16. Tielby

Tielby Prince

Vanilla BtS AI builds "stacks of doom" too, so I don't see how you could avoid that.

17. tesb

tesb Emperor

MoM has its own ai, that does not use stacks of doom, instead the ai is buildings taskforces to take out various threats.

18. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Well, there's patch g, though the economical AI in it is completely ********. Tholal's AI is your best bet.