FfH2 0.30 Balance Issues

Kael

Deity
After you have a chance to play a game or so, please check back here and give your impressions on what was to powerful, and what you may have just avoided for being to weak.

Units, like those following the CoE, should not be able to declare nationality on the same turn in which they attack (in the same way in which ghosts can't go hidden after an attack.)
Exploitive vs. the computer. Humans wouldn't put up with that kind of silliness.

On Hamachi (network FFH3 pw ffh) we play with 1500 advanced start points.

Recently we have come into the issue that players can buy 12 axeman, 14 centaurs, or 18 warriors with this number of points (only in regard to # of cities and unit requirements/production) on turn 0.

However, the "peace" timer is only 10 turns regardless of the number of points. We are finding unless all players know someone is doing this kind of advanced start, the game is ruined. At turn 10 multiple civs have numerous units sitting on their borders ready to invade.

My suggestion/recommendation/plea is to implement "# of peace turns" into all advanced start games. This will enable a fair game for everyone to know what round you can be attacked.

Thank you, love the game.

Please add reagents (/incense?) into the 'strategic resource' catagory so that all players (with game resources=balanced) receive copper/iron/mithral/horse/reagents/incense so that you can ensure all players have whatever "war" resource they require.

Find us at Hamachi network FFH3 pw ffh.

I played a tiny map with a central sea just to work through new features. Khazad was next to me and founded Runes/Kilmorph. I was surprised to find out that iron isn't usable until after finding the resource AND researching iron working. I didn't have horses or copper within my empire.

I can't remember if this is how it was before (it seems not) but this makes for a LONG period when copper is king. Considering copper is +33% strength to a warrior or +25% to an Axeman it makes it quite a powerful resource.

I think it would balance better if iron weapons were allowed once iron was found + smelting (or require a forge as well). I'm not 100% convinced of this, though, as it was a bit of a special case and you can always beeline to OO or Runes in order to have religious units that are good without copper.

EDIT - Another issue that fit better in the balance thread than a bug thread:
‘For the Horde’ was cast on turn 13 (not a bug per se but something that needs improvement eventually)

I played a tiny map with a central sea just to work through new features. Khazad was next to me and founded Runes/Kilmorph. I was surprised to find out that iron isn't usable until after finding the resource AND researching iron working. I didn't have horses or copper within my empire.

I can't remember if this is how it was before (it seems not) but this makes for a LONG period when copper is king. Considering copper is +33% strength to a warrior or +25% to an Axeman it makes it quite a powerful resource.

I think it would balance better if iron weapons were allowed once iron was found + smelting (or require a forge as well). I'm not 100% convinced of this, though, as it was a bit of a special case and you can always beeline to OO or Runes in order to have religious units that are good without copper.

That is intended and it was always so. OO and RoK have nice religious specific units but the rest of the religions also have an equivalent.

with barbarian world on the barbarians created the dragon within 9 turns... to early in the game for a dragon to be running around (guarding a city lol)

This is a discussion already made thousand times but i think it's important to reintroduce it again.

Orthus is IMO too easy to kill....i have played 2 games so far in Shadow and as in my Fire games, Orthus get killed as soon as attacks me or another AI, so he lasts in every game just the turn necessary to move and attack an enemy city.
In one of my games he attacked my city and i just lost the first warrior killing him the next turn.

I think that the real problem is that he just attacks without a stack of other barbarian units, so he has a chance to survive only if he attacks a city defended only by 2-3 defenders and he doesn't get hurt during one of his attacks.
Giving him a small horde of barbarians like 2-3 warriors or 4-5 goblins which stacks, could make him a bit more deadly

Yeah, Orthus needs to learn how to rally a horde.

Hi hi,

I have been playing Sidar and I have found two issues. I am still not sure if they are unbalancing but they might be so:

- Arcane and disciple units keep getting xp points (until 100xp as far as I know). That means that a powerfull strategy is to rush for adepts (maybe with Catacomb Librarus) and build tons of them. This ensures that in mid-game you are going to have tons of shades and as a consequence tons of great bards/engineers/... on any city you want. Also, with the Altar of the Luonnatar disciple units get a huge amount of XP from the beginning, so you could potentially build a shade farm.Is this intended? I haven't tried this stategy at any high level (I was just testing the civ) but it seems quite powerful to me.

- Hero units can also turn into shades. I am not sure if this is a good idea, as you might push the button by mistake and lose a hero. On the other hand, you can use this ability with religious heroes / units, and when they are level 6 you can just turn them into shades and switch religions, so you take "shade advantage" from several units that you would lose by switching religion.

Well, I don't know if these two issues are intended, but if they are please move this post to the strategy forum ;-)

I think it's easier to farm barbarians than it is to get level 6 units out of any of your methods. Maybe with an arcane leader it would be reasonable to use adepts, you'll get there faster with warriors probably. Ambushing your allies with HN units gets you loads of level 6 units too.

I think a large part of the problem is that warriors are able to use copper and iron weapons. It means that once you get copper (or iron), you can pretty much just use hordes of warriors to solve all your military problems through to the midgame, since they're decently powerful and dirt cheap. I now always edit the game to prevent warriors using weapons, and I think it makes the early game MUCH better; it means that you really do need to focus on improving your military early-game, and you actually get to use more of the diversity of the early units.

Blinding light is far too powerful. A single blinded unit in the (AI's) entire stack keeps AI from moving the entire stack. This allows a few unit to pick off unit from the stack one by one. So the super stack stacks the AI builds can be held in your territory, forcing the AI to pay gigantic unit maintenance costs, not mention leaving the AI's cities underdefended

So, there is no benefit to spreading the Guild of the Nine other than its 'event strength' and the ability to hire more mercenaries? It seems pretty expensive for just that (I'm paying 120 gold for a basic merc in a Normal speed game). Perhaps a mercenary could have a 'spell' to spread it, and it would cost money to do so (though not as much as it cost to get the unit).

A small reply to the mercenary comment above... I found that the Guild of the Nine saved my butt when I got one of the most impressive amphibious assaults I've ever seen in FFH take place on my Sidar, courtesy of the Lanun. Most of my advanced units were finally taking out Acheron on my frontier, who I'd been content to keep out there as a big barbarian cultural buffer against a couple of otherwise aggressive civs who kept wasting their time on the dragon, and not me.

Lanun come ashore, see juicy wonder filled cities with just old archers and idle workers in them, I have each of those units hire a mercenary (i.e., maybe 8 new iron-toting mercenaries for 8x120 gold.... better than losing a production hub).

Guild of the Nine seems okay by me as a last-ditch defense thing as long as you keep a lot of $$ on hand. After that, I had the surviving mercs spread Guild of the Nine to other hubs I'd hate to lose, again, just as a panic button type function.

Top Bottom