FfH2 and Vista

Arax

Chieftain
Hello,

I'm running FfH2 on Vista Home Premimum.

I can start FfH2 and make my game setting. When generating the world the loading procedure aborts in or short after graphic init-phase.

Please advise!

All the best,

Guido

I am running Vista HP 64 without any problems, check if your installation is correct, if you got the latest version of .net framework (should be installed by FFH2 automatically I believe bt check anyway). Running the exe in compatible mode with winxp does actually not work for me as the copy protection fails to recognize the cd with this option. Do you have enough RAM? Did you tweak your Vista with some of the various tweak guides, like turning off all those unneccesary services and stuff?

It is definitly not a general Vista FFH2 incompatibility per se, I never had a single crash or anything since "upgrading" to Vista.

Edit: I forgot, I heard it makes sense not to install the game into the default directory suggested by the installer when running Vista, but instead create a custom directory. Mine for example is simply F:\civ4.....

From the first post in the bug thread:

System Issues:
1. "GFC error: failed to initialaize the primary control theme" error loading the mod. You will recieve this error if FfH isn't installed in the correct location (under Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods). If you don't have Civ4 installed to that location just make sure the FfH is installed in the same directory as Final Frontier, Age of Ice and the other mods that came with BtS. Also make sure you have installed the full mod and not just the patch.
2. The mod loads okay, but when you go to start a game it crashes. You experience this error if you aren't running BtS patch 3.17.
3. If you are running BtS 3.17 and the game still crashes when starting your computer could be having problems playing the opening movie. Disabling movies resolves the problem.
4. If FfH crashes when starting a game and when you look in the Civilopedia from the main menu and you can't see units, then you have only applied the patch and you need to download and install the main mod (then reapply the patch).
5. While playing if your units look okay when moving but turn back to normal civ4 units when standing still its because you have "Freeze Animations" turned on in your game options.
6. Vista users have reported crashes if they have UAC (User Account Control) enabled.
7. Some sites you download the mod from lose the .exe extension on the file, so you just get a file that windows cant use. Renaming the file and putting the .exe back on the end fixes the problem.

I suspect you don't have the 3.17 patch for BtS if you are crashing where you are.

Hi,

i had the same issue (gfc...).

SOLUTION:

There are 3 files in the FFH2 folder refering to this mod:

1.) Fall from Heaven
This is a link
- (if) wrong path
-> enter the correct path (2 entries in my system)

2.) Fall from Heaven 2
A config file
-> leave it as it is

3.) FallfromHeaven2
This should be the FallfromHeaven2.exe but it actually is "FallfromHeaven" (WITHOUT ".exe")
- it has no icon
- the security settings show that this file come from another system, so the name of this file was changed and the ".exe" was removed
-> tell the system that this file is secure
-> append the ".exe" to the file
-> an icon appears
-> execute the FallfromHeaven.exe
-> execute the patch
-> start FFH2

should work now:)

the reason why this issue appears is the high security standard of vista: sometime a blessing, sometimes a curse

best regards
asgardus

Top Bottom