FFH2 Challenge III - Hyborem of Infernals

Ororo

King
Greetings heroes and heroines and welcome to the third issue of the FFH2 Challenge!

The purpose of this series will be to provide a platform, at which any FFH player can improve their gameplay and strategic knowledge of the FFH mechanics.
Those who are still aspiring to beat the higher difficulties can use this place to learn. On the other hand, those who eat Deity AI for breakfast can teach others how to achieve such results.

This time we will be playing as Hyborem of the Infernals

Hyborem’s traits are Spiritual, Barbarian and Summoner. Infernal also benefit from the Fallow trait.
Spiritual means no anarchy, double production of Temples and Disciple units start with “Mobility I” and “Potency” promotions.
Barbarian means peace with barbarians at the beginning but it also cuts down all the research by 10%.
Summoner grants “Summoner” promotion to all Arcane units (=summons start with Combat I) and it also increases a duration for all summoned units by 1.
Fallow makes this civilization even more interesting as it nullifies the effects of food – cities won’t grow or starve based on worked tiles, instead the Infernal grow their cities by adding Manes.

Infernal starting Technology is Crafting, Infernal Pact and all the other technologies known by the civilization that had summoned them. Their civ-specific advantage is that all cities start with some nice buildings including Demonic Citizens, which remove unhealthiness and unhappiness so you don’t need to focus on getting health/happiness buildings and/or resources.

The world spell is called Hyborem’s Whisper. This spell can only be cast by Hyborem and requires Malevolent Designs technology. It allows the player to take control of an Ashen Veil city.

The civilization hero is Hyborem, a very powerful unit that you get once you take control of the Infernal civilization. Be careful with him though - if you lose him, you also lose all your traits except Fallow.

Unique units include Balor, a berserker replacement, which may seem weak on the first glance as it does not deal collateral damage, but fear not, they start with “Stigmata” promotion giving them bonus equal to half the Armageddon counter. Imp is an adept replacement that starts with “Demon” and “Resist Fire” promotions and benefits from +1 Unholy combat. Hellhound replaces hunter and has an extra movement speed in comparison. Finally, Death knights are powerful knights that can cast Death spells.

The Palace provides Entropy, Fire mana and Iron resource. It also grants +50% :hammers: and +1 :gold: +1 :science: +1 :culture: from all state religion buildings.

Infernal can’t build Arquebuses and their blocked buildings include Public Baths, Infirmary, Smokehouse, Herbalist, Granary and Aqueduct.

Starting Location:

Spoiler :

Settings:
Spoiler :

(in the end I did leave the Events on, because turning them off could break some of the game’s functions - at least that's what the game says)

You will need Tholal’s More Naval AI modmod version 2.5 (Download here) to access the save.

As you can see, we start as Hannah the Irin of Lanun, quite possibly the best leader/civ combo to summon Infernal, but this is only temporary. Our goal is to research the Infernal pact technology which allows us to take control of the Infernal civilization. Note: you don’t have to beeline Infernal pact and I wouldn’t even recommend it. It is advised that you use your nice research to blast through most of the early game techs, since you will keep all of them once you gain control of the Infernal. Spreading Ashen veil around is a good idea as well because all the Evil units are reborn as Manes. And you will need a lot of Manes ;)
The preferred victory condition for this one is Domination. However, feel free to ignore this and win whatever victory condition you desire.

If it's possible, please provide a short report of your game, where you will list the major events, tech path and the grand strategy used.
You can also divide your playthrough into segments and provide quick report for each segment.
T100, rushing your neigbour, using your worldspell, summoning Mercurians/Infernals are good examples of "checkpoints".
If you indeed provide a report, please use spoiler tags to keep the game unspoiled for others.

The save is attached below.
Worbuilder save is attached as well. If you decide to use it, make sure you load the mod (ffh2) first!

Good luck and have fun!

Attachments

• FFH2 Challenge III - Hyborem of Infernals.CivBeyondSwordSave
    56 KB · Views: 115
  • FFH2 Challenge III - Hyborem of Infernals.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    391.6 KB · Views: 81
21 save views in 24 hours? Hmmm not bad :) I'd like to see at least 5 reports this time! ;)

I have already played quite far in my attempt and I can tell you that we have rolled an interesting map right here.

Spoiler :
That's actually not a particularly good HR start. In a REAL HR game, you don't build workers.

Turn 250.
Spoiler :
Settled on place. Quite early (turn 63) Doviello decided to attack me with a nasty stack of around 10 units.

Had some luck and smashed all those guys. Also Luchuirp declared war on Doviello soon after that and took their capital. Doviello was dead around at turn 80. Later also Hippus declared and I decided to wipe them out, war ended at turn 168.

Some other wars were going as well. Khazad took down Bannor around at turn 190. I decided to research some more techs to get better units for Infernal. Finally researched Infernal Pact at turn 235.

Took down Khazad's city

Nice :) Hopefully I'll have some time to play tonight as well :)

Well I have lost my save since it was only an autosave and got overwritten :( So I had replay this over again.

T212:
Spoiler :

I settled Innsmouth 1 south and went Fishing -> Crafting -> Mining to maximise the commerce. Mining revealed Copper nearby so I decided to settle on top of it to prevent it from being pillaged. I think I stole 1 worker from Charadron. I wanted more but a Giant Spider sniped my Scout.

Having access to Copper I went for Bronze Working/Education to have access to some shiny bronze Swordsmen. Tasunke was plotting for a long time and when I declared war on him I caught his stack of non-metal warriors in the open field. Sure enough I crushed him. I captured his capital on T102.

Then I headed for Infernal pact but decided to stop for Military strategy and Fanaticism. On T178 I switched to Infernal.

I focused on getting an early Infernal Grimoire as I wanted to bulb Malevolent Designs. Meanwhile I sent my starting force to attack Hannah. Innsmouth was pretty heavily fortified despite the fact that I didn't leave it that way so I turned to Dunwich. After razing it Hannah attacked me with her stack including Rosier and killed everything but Hyborem and 1 Champion. I killed Rosier next turn.

At about this time I finally got Malevolent designs and immediately started working on Mardero. Once he was up I decided to promote him along the Drill line which was a great decision since now he has access to Blitz and can attack up to 3x per turn. Hybbie actually need raw strength in the early so he still doesn't have Blitz but at least he can heal while moving thanks to March. Anyway, Hyborem + Mardero was more than enough to take down Hannah.

Capital produced Heroic epic followed by 4 Beasts of Agares so now I have access to all the shinies except for Meshabber of Dis.

EDIT: Loool! Just noticed how similar pics #1 and 6 are :D

T272 Conquest (I was too lazy to spam settlers for domination :D)

Spoiler :
Once Lanun were dealt with, it was very easy to win this game. I have promoted BoA and Mardero along the drill line and got Blitz on all of them so they were able to attack multiple times. Hyborem got his hands on Orthus's Axe so I didn't really need Blitz on him... Standard procedure for taking cities was to let Mardero cast Rust, then Ritualists and Eidolons cast Ring of Flames and then these weak, damaged units were ran over by anyone with blitz.

Tech path after Malevolent designs went for some Minor techs such as horseback riding, hunting feudalism etc. Once that was done I beelined Arcane lore for the ability to run unlimited sages and Crown of Akharien. I got a really well-timed Great Engineer so it took me exactly 1 turn to build this otherwise pretty expensive wonder :D

As for AIs, they couldn't really field anything to counter Mardero, Hybbie, BoAs and Eidolons so I just rolled over them. I think the main lesson learned here is to research Fanaticism before you summon Infernals so that you can immediately start on the Infernal Grimoire and use it to grab early Malevolent designs. Military stretegy is very important as well since it allows you to build the Heroic Epic in capital and the ability to take Blitz as promotion is priceless. For high strength units such as Mardero, BoAs or Eidolons "drill line -> Blitz -> Combat 1-3 -> March" is definitely the correct promotion order.

Once Charadron, Beeri, Arthurus and Capria were dealt with I realised I needed ships to kill the last AI. So I grabbed Optics followed by Astronomy and sent 3 Galleons full of elite troops to pay a visit to Faeryl. It turned out she had a massive SoD in her capital (I forgot to take a SS but I think it was something like 60-80 units). It didn't help her much though as it mainly consisted of Archers, Priests and Tigers. Fortunately, the city was on a flatland so the blitz troops cleared it very fast (if you don't have Commando then attacking a city on a hill will still take away 2 movement points so Blitz would have absolutely no effect). Once I captured Thariss, Faeryl was ready to gave in.

Screenies:

Win, domination victory on turn 326.
Spoiler :
After Khazad I attacked Lanun, but they surrended after 2 or 3 turns to capitulation. After this Luch was easy to smash. Then finally took one of Svalt's city to take the victory on turn 326.

Final score:

@Aurorarcher

Spoiler :
Great job and congratulations on winning the preferred VC :)

I have 2 questions: What did you take from Infernal Grimoire? Which units did you use the most? (I see a Profane so I presume Ritualists?)

@Ororo

Spoiler :
I used mostly Ritualist, yes. But I didn't really need that many of them. I could've won earlier if I hadn't researched Malevolent designs while I was still playing with Lanun. I used Infernal Grimoire to take Arcane Lore early for unlimited Sages which helped my slow research a lot. Then my research goal was Warhorses which I got quite early as well.

So my army was pretty much Ritualist, Mardero, Hyborem, Eidolons, BoAs and Death knights.

Now looking back it would've been more smart to use Grimoire on Malevolent designs. It could've helped to win earlier and also prevent Lanun from getting Eidolons. I also had to get Mardero as soon as possible after switching to Infernal. I might try this game again from some previous save to speed my victory a bit.

Learned a lot about Infernals this game. These series are fun to play and share thoughts! Still waiting on Challenge IV!

Stay tuned. I'll create the Challenge #4 tonight and it will finally introduce a later era start ;)

Conquest victory, T291.

[Spoilers]
I thought this challenge was very interesting. I tried a bunch of different build orders, the best one I found got AV on turn 93 and completed infernal pact on turn 115. I found that building 2 cities was best, and spamming savants out of the capital once AV was in. Basically, the Godking capital could build a savant every 2 turns and that's a guaranteed mane. Hyborem spawned just south of the Lanun and I switched and immediately declared on Hannah, giving me a bunch of manes early. I kept Innsmouth and razed the other city.

Build order was:
- Settle on northmost gold for extra hammers and commerce
- Research fishing
- Research mining, build a worker
- Tech Corruption of Spirit

If you switch to Hyborem on T115 with a good setup (free manes from Hannah) it is a guaranteed win. I think I could have won ~50 turns sooner if I didn't start fooling around with mana nodes and trying to vassalize everyone on my continent. Should have just killed all civs and then built boats to go after Faeryl.

[/spoilers]

Top Bottom