FFH2, Fall Further, Orbis

The problem is that additional false information is worse than no information, and without already having a detailed knowledge of how things work in full, it's impossible to provide correct information. In order to make a proper Civiliopedia update, you have to already know how something was designed, and that's the kind of knowledge that you only have if you built it.

For some things this is true. But take the mithril golem example; you don't need to have the kind of knowledge you only have if you built the mod to know the armageddon counter needs to be 70 to build the thing, you only have to have been around for a long time since apparently it used to be in the civilopedia but was accidently removed. According to previous posts on this forum at least.

I have played Fall from Heaven fairly extensively over the past year, played a few Fall Further games partyway through and have never looked at Orbis (though it sounds interesting).

I definitely agree that the interface improvements from Fall Further (such as the Great Person status bar and the foreign relations smiley faces) should be part of every Civ mod!

I too was a little leary of the overabundance of features and civs in Fall Further, but then I decided to give it a try and was pleasantly surprised. While their willingness to throw in all sorts of extra moving parts at the drop of a hat does result in lots of unpolished bits and issues, it also generates a lot of interesting new dynamics. This point is further reinforced if you look at the patch history for FfH2 and notice the parts that were taken from FF. They've also incorporated some nice flavor and mechanic changes to make all the civs more unique and interesting, something that FfH should look at, as many of the civs are rather bland once you realize that their civ-defining traits have very little impact on their gameplay. The main issue I've found with FF is that the AI seems even less capable of understanding how to properly handle all the special units, abilities and spells, likely due to the increased complexity and additional game mechanics.

Obviously, FfH is the grandfather of the modmods, but it's nice to see that even the ancestor can pick up some new tricks from its offspring who are pushing the boundaries ever further.

One of my fav things about FF is that monks are very useful. High level monks (like lvl 12?) can get 2 affinity to spirit mana. I all the other cool stuff tho, cause Im playing other games atm

I definitely agree that the interface improvements from Fall Further (such as the Great Person status bar and the foreign relations smiley faces) should be part of every Civ mod!

Agreed. I think FF also had something which told you how much of a saving you'd make by building a Courthouse. Again, a great feature which should be in the original Civ4 Engine.

Agreed. I think FF also had something which told you how much of a saving you'd make by building a Courthouse. Again, a great feature which should be in the original Civ4 Engine.

This is in Orbis as well; great feature. So lets see, thats:

1) Great Person bar
2) Smiley/Frowney face for civ relationships
3) Courthouse savings data

Does anybody not like these?

One thing that hasn't been mentioned and I think is worth commenting on is that Orbi pushes for uniqueness in each civ. For example, each civ has a unique pagan temple that gives unique bonuses. There have been many more changes too... Like Orbi reintroduces espionage, Forts do more than protection (can be build in the wild and when upgraded provide cultural borders for resources), re-balance of the improvements and food requirements. -As well new Civs in FF seem to find a way into Orbi and new ones are currently being created for Orbi.

all in all I think Xienwolf had the simplest breakdown that seems accurate... Orbi attempts to add in everything cool and improve it, while FF attempts to create whole new mechanics. -however FF sometimes improves mechanics and sometimes Orbi creates new ones.

-As well new Civs in FF seem to find a way into Orbi and new ones are currently being created for Orbi.

I saw the Scions and the Lizardmen (both sorta) are in Orbis, but what about the others? Chiev? Archos? Austin?

I wouldn't expect the new Giants to be there yet but am hoping the older ones are.

I saw the Scions and the Lizardmen (both sorta) are in Orbis, but what about the others? Chiev? Archos? Austin?

I wouldn't expect the new Giants to be there yet but am hoping the older ones are.

There are 3 (or 4 I guess) new civs in Orbis: The Scions, the Lizardmen, and something called the Mechanos which are a steampunky civ.

I agree with others that after playing with the various modmods for a while it seems like, in general, FF tends to add a ton of new stuff in and see what sticks while Orbis takes a slower approach to refining whats there. I think they complement eachother.

I hope some of the flavor changes to the werewolf guys make it to Orbis at some point, they should be an awesome unique civ but are a little blandish (relatively) in vanilla FFH.

those 3 aren't in .. nor the Dural. Usually it seems the civs must really be unique playstyles to get added in (like the lizards not being 2 civs in orbi but one and features depending on leadership). The Kahdi are kind of being added in as a new eastern style civ which will likely have some similar features with a lot of changes (so i'm not too sure that link could be made either). I also imagine the Jotnar (giants) will be added in as soon as they are balanced and fleshed out.

I'm actually kind of surprised that the Mechanos aren't in FF yet. They are pretty cool and fun.

There are 3 (or 4 I guess) new civs in Orbis: The Scions, the Lizardmen, and something called the Mechanos which are a steampunky civ.

I agree with others that after playing with the various modmods for a while it seems like, in general, FF tends to add a ton of new stuff in and see what sticks while Orbis takes a slower approach to refining whats there. I think they complement eachother.

I hope some of the flavor changes to the werewolf guys make it to Orbis at some point, they should be an awesome unique civ but are a little blandish (relatively) in vanilla FFH.

I think you're talking about the Doviello here? Orbis actually changes them in a COMPLETELY different way from what I've done. :lol: I'm not sure which is better, personally, I just didn't really care for the druid feel Orbis gave them.

those 3 aren't in .. nor the Dural. Usually it seems the civs must really be unique playstyles to get added in (like the lizards not being 2 civs in orbi but one and features depending on leadership). The Kahdi are kind of being added in as a new eastern style civ which will likely have some similar features with a lot of changes (so i'm not too sure that link could be made either). I also imagine the Jotnar (giants) will be added in as soon as they are balanced and fleshed out.

I'm actually kind of surprised that the Mechanos aren't in FF yet. They are pretty cool and fun.

I'm importing the Mechanos right now, actually. :goodjob: Have a few people testing the balance.

I wonder if it would be possible to come to an agreement on controversed features (mostly from FF in fact: new civs bar Scions, Lizards and Mechanos, Master equipment system, improvements buildable from start).

I too really like the master equipment system; but as I said in the orbis forums I think it should be included in the already existing corporation system (and would allow more civs access to the promotions if they have the corporate buildings).

The other thing from FF I think would be really fun would be the 3 separate barbarian groups. That would allow for more variety in spawning rates. I also think improvements buildable from the start helps the AI... so I like that too.

I too really like the master equipment system; but as I said in the orbis forums I think it should be included in the already existing corporation system (and would allow more civs access to the promotions if they have the corporate buildings).

The other thing from FF I think would be really fun would be the 3 separate barbarian groups. That would allow for more variety in spawning rates. I also think improvements buildable from the start helps the AI... so I like that too.

Ahwaric actually just posted in the FF ModModder's thread about importing the multiple barb groups.

This is in Orbis as well; great feature. So lets see, thats:

1) Great Person bar
2) Smiley/Frowney face for civ relationships
3) Courthouse savings data

Does anybody not like these?

I also like the turn numbers in the event log.

Do not forget the removal of "Your forces are under attack!" message, and the combat messages that give precise info on who attacked your units.

What is this removal of said message? Sounds quite deadly in MP especially.

It used to say something like:

Your Forces are Under Attack!
Your Warrior has Defeated a Scout while Defending!
Your Forces are Under Attack!
Your Hunter has died while Defending!

Now in the same situation it would instead say:

Your Warrior has Defeated a Balseraph Scout while Defending!
Your Hunter has died while Defending against a Wild Giant Spider!

So the redundant "Something's Happening!" line is removed, and the actual report of what has happened was augmented to tell you who owns the opposing unit (good for people who don't have combat animations enabled so may not see the fight themselves, and if the unit is Hidden Nationality it just claims it was an Orcish Savage, as that is what you would have seen if you did watch the battle yourself)

I'm adding polish to the austrin in FF at the moment. Made two new unit arts for them so far, plus a few pegasus riders. more to come in future.

Wow... so it took me 2 min to realize you were NOT talking about adding Eastern European flavor to the Artwork for the Austrin.

It is way to early for me this morning.

With FF I also really like the units which can conduct trade missions. Don't know if Orbis has those.

On a side note: Where can I improve the rate at which my land changes to Jungle?

Top Bottom