1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fidel Castro dead

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by west india man, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

Nope. He's just been a sick old man in retirement for almost a decade.

Brother Raul has been doing some interesting things. About 1/3 of Cuba's farm produce now comes from family farms. People can run restaurants in their homes. He seems to be heading in the direction of free-market capitalism, but without corporations.

2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Unfortunately, we were cursed with over 9 years with a prime minister who never met an election he didn't have to cheat to win, and the reason you haven't heard a lot of his underlings speak is because he wouldn't allow his cabinet ministers to speak to the media without permission. The usual way of things here is a scrum, where reporters can ask the prime minister and cabinet ministers pretty much anything, and they're expected to make some effort at answering. Harper wouldn't participate in that; he would only take a few questions, and they had to be pre-approved.

He was like that with other federal employees, as well. Federal scientists were muzzled to the point where they had government minders with them when they attended international conferences, and they were told who they could speak to, and how far they could go with what they said. It was a breath of fresh air last October when Justin Trudeau was elected. Suddenly these people were allowed to speak again, without having to jump through a ridiculous number of bureaucratic hoops.

This does not please the Harperites who sit in opposition, and it's honestly flabbergasting to see how much some of them hate Justin Trudeau. Some of them resent him just for being the son of Pierre Trudeau, and they find the most ridiculous pretexts to attack him either in Question Period or on Twitter.

There have been numerous criticisms of Canada for maintaining diplomatic relations with Cuba. Some American companies with subsidiaries in Canada tried to dictate to Canada that we weren't supposed to do business with Cuba. As I recall, the collective Canadian attitude to that was "who the hell do they think they are, trying to dictate to us" - just because the U.S. had one policy toward Cuba, that didn't mean we were automatically going to follow along in lockstep.

It would honestly surprise me if there are many kids who grow up in this country never having played some form of hockey. I never learned to skate, but I wasn't bad at floor hockey. And of course it's a normal part of life to have street hockey going on.

3. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

sodding :cringe:

I meant the other way around

4. amadeus

amadeus めっちゃしんどい

All Castro did in Africa was back the worst party in every conflict. Sure, he backed the "independence movements" but only those that immediately and totally quashed any liberal or democratic reforms.

White-ruled Rhodesia had more black Africans on the voting rolls (where contested elections could be held, i.e. not sham commie elections) than any and all of the countries the Cubans supported.

No country was made better off because of Castro.

5. Paul in Saudi

Paul in Saudi Chieftain

No he did not. Abdullah died on 23 January. He was buried the same day. His family and nobody much else attended the funeral.

6. Paul in Saudi

Paul in Saudi Chieftain

No. I will stand with what I said. Thank you for your concern.

7. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

my bad

he did go over to "pay respects", though

8. Paul in Saudi

Paul in Saudi Chieftain

I never said anything different.

9. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

I didn't imply you did

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

People pay their respects to American presidents when they die, so why not do the same for Castro?

11. amadeus

amadeus めっちゃしんどい

Should the same be done for Robert Mugabe when he croaks? How about the long-forgotten Mengistu? To what extent are ruinous despots deserving of our respect?

12. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

This is going back to the old "If we could assasinate Hitler before he came to power, should we have?" question.

13. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Like I hinted at, people who have done far worse things than Castro were given a respectful funeral, etc.

As for Mugabe, I doubt he is going to illicit the same sort of response as Castro when he dies.

14. Recon Rover

Recon Rover Chieftain

15. Valka D'Ur

The thing is, Justin Trudeau didn't have much of a relationship with Castro. He was just a child when his father and Castro became friends, and from what I've been reading, it appears that the first time Justin met him was at Pierre's funeral.

It would be odd if he didn't mention his parents' friendship with Castro. And as I mentioned earlier, there are some politicians and reporters here who have a pathological hatred of anyone who is, or was, part of the Trudeau family. The vitriol aimed at Margaret Trudeau right after the election last year was beyond appalling. She was no saint, but some of her poor judgment was found to be the result of undiagnosed bipolar disorder. The Trudeau detractors choose to ignore that, however, and continue to heap scorn. And of course they're blaming Justin for things his father did, some of which occurred while he was a child, before he was born, or even before his parents met.

As for the part about Castro being a "legendary orator"... that's diplomat-speak for "He was capable of standing up and talking for hours at a stretch." Any politician skilled at filibustering could have the same thing said about him.

I haven't watched the Chretien clip yet (RL interrupted). I'll offer whatever comments come to mind after I see it.

16. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Oh, liberals.

caketastydelish likes this.
  17. chijohnaok

chijohnaok Chieftain

Maybe this is a relevant link:
    http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/esp_sociopol_nwo154.htm

18. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I think she was looking for a more respectable source than some guy's 1997 Geocities page.

19. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

The only possible consequence of free-market capitalism is large corporations.
    I have no respect for several POTUSes, and I wouldn't pay my respects to them in any way.

20. Valka D'Ur

Exactly.

At this point, I'm wondering why this even matters. Trudeau died 16 years ago, that that was 16 years after he stepped down from being Prime Minister.

Canada is not remotely Communist. There are communist parties both provincially and federally that turn up in a small scattering of ridings, but they're extremely fringe, and only a few people ever vote for them.

Of course the usual Harperite shills are running around the CBC comment boards in a panic, posting their scaremongering assigned talking points, hysterically insisting that Justin Trudeau wants to make Canada just like Cuba. :rolleyes: