Fighters just stopped intercepting?

b7fanatix

Warlord
Seriously? This must be a bug.

Every turn of the war, i'm intercepting his great war bombers with my triplane.
Then suddenly, it all stops, for the next four turns, not a single one of the bombers is intercepted. To cap it all, he even starts using his fighters to bombard my capital. As result of this, i loose my cap.

Rage Quit!

I'm playing Indonesia, and i'm at war with AI Mongolia btw.

Tried save and reload, no change.

Seriously? This must be a bug.

Every turn of the war, i'm intercepting his great war bombers with my triplane.
Then suddenly, it all stops, for the next four turns, not a single one of the bombers is intercepted. To cap it all, he even starts using his fighters to bombard my capital. As result of this, i loose my cap.

Rage Quit!

I'm playing Indonesia, and i'm at war with AI Mongolia btw.

Tried save and reload, no change.

maybe your triplane died at some point?

I think that triplanes only have 50% chance to intercept. In their promotion list, there's a gray triangle that, if you mouse over it, should say "intercept 50." I know that destroyers also can occasionally intercept, and have intercept 40, while other fighters and anti-air have intercept 100, and always intercept. I agree, it's really obnoxious (In my case, I lost a highly-promoted infantry when 2 bombers randomly got past my triplanes and bombed a city I'd just gotten to the point where another lone enemy infantry could cap. I raged. Also because it came up to 10% health when I got it, but then when they recaptured it went all the way to 50% health.)

I think that number is the Intercept power of the unit in question.

As for the first post, I think there is a known bug where fighters don't intercept bombers attacking a city, but they will if the bomber is attacking a unit.

For me, fighters stationed in a city seem never to intercept bombers, but only fighters. Carrier based fighters will intercept bombers. When i bring up battleships against a city, i make sure to have a carrier standing by. Last game, i challenged America, knowing he had bombers, and had three fighters stationed in my Cap. It was like Pearl Harbor. He sent 18 waves of bombers over and no fighter flew.

Like someone said, Triplanes only have 50 % interception chance. Maybe you were unlucky and had failed rolls. Or maybe he used some of his Triplanes to airsweep, eating up your interceptions? Also there's some issue with the graphics interface which means that game doesn't show proper animation when a bomber attacking a city is intercepted (although, from what I recall, someone looked into it and the interception actually DID happen). There are several possible explanations, would be nice with some more info.

1. 50% Chance of intercept

The war lasted at least a dozen turns, i had 4 Triplanes in my Capital. For the first 6 or so, they intercepted, then suddenly went quiet. Could be random luck but all 4 fighters rolling the "not intecept" option for 6 turns in a row is some luck!

2. Graphics Glitch

I don't think this is the case, because the Triplanes did not loose any health on the 5 or 6 turns where they refused to intercept. Also, at the top of the screen, is text reporting the outcome of the battle in terms of hit points lost for attacker and defender. No interception text, no air sweep, 100% health before and after. I had four Triplanes in my capital and prior to that, the enemy was using a couple of Triplanes on Fighter sweep as well as bombers. I intercepted the sweeps and , having more fighters than him, started shooting down his bombers, till my guys mysteriously went "on strike".

Cancelling and reissuing the Intercept order, sending them on a strike mission for a turn then putting back on intercept didn't help, as did quit to main menu and reload.

After making this post however, i went back into the game (having exited to windows) and loaded the save. This was the turn before i lost my capital, having just discovered Radar the turn before. I upgraded to Fighters and suddenly my planes were taking off , shooting down his Great War Bombers and Triplanes in droves. It could have been exiting and reloading Civ that did it, or it could have been the unit upgrade. I wonder if the AI units suddenly got a promotion that made them immune to interception from Triplane fighters - no wait that's laughable, AI units staying around long enough to gain promotion? Hahaha

It sucks for the unit not to do what its intended to do, but I've always hated the plane animation. I'll turn on quick combat, but the problem with that is that if it's on when the AI acts, sometimes I won't know where they're attacking from. It would be nice if there was an animation to turn off the plane animation but keep everything else off, or alternatively, have an option where the plane's animations are simultaneous (which would make considering that they kind of are in real life, as its the only way that you take out the AA, otherwise the AA could keep going again and again). Although at least we are able to plan and do other things when the bombers are moving, we just can't act or finalize anything.

What is this: people are expecting fighters and anti-air units to intercept aircraft bombing CITIES? They only intercept airstrikes vs. UNITS.

Whether this is considered a very misunderstood 'feature' or a bug, it has been puzzled over several times over the years.

What is this: people are expecting fighters and anti-air units to intercept aircraft bombing CITIES? They only intercept airstrikes vs. UNITS.

Whether this is considered a very misunderstood 'feature' or a bug, it has been puzzled over several times over the years.
Where have you ever seen that this would actually be the case? There is, afaik., no infomation that states that interception should not work when bombers target cities, and such a game design would make absolutely zero sense, both from realism and balance pov. :confused:

Where have you ever seen that this would actually be the case? There is, afaik., no infomation that states that interception should not work when bombers target cities, and such a game design would make absolutely zero sense, both from realism and balance pov. :confused:

Primarily from City bombers never intercepted? thread in Bug Reports forum. Which YOU YOURSELF participated in, though early in the discussion.

In fairness, it is not the friendliest of game designs for players to have to learn about an important limitation on a game mechanic from a bug report on a fan forum -- just sayin'.

In fairness, it is not the friendliest of game designs for players to have to learn about an important limitation on a game mechanic from a bug report on a fan forum -- just sayin'.

No Bleepin' Bleep! :gripe:

Yes, I want intercepts to include all air strikes. I also want bombardment/air strikes to have less affects as the target is more and more damaged, ...

and the last 10-20% hit points of a city should HAVE to be taken out by a melee unit, not taken by a scout waltzing in.

Well, you know, there is a historical precedent. In WWII, German fighters ONLY intercepted bombers that were attacking troop concentrations. When the formations were over cities, they completely ignored them. In fact, they lit up the sky with friendly searchlights to welcome the bombers. :) CiV gets +1 for accuracy.

Primarily from City bombers never intercepted? thread in Bug Reports forum. Which YOU YOURSELF participated in, though early in the discussion.
However, that's not the only thread where this issue has been discussed. I know it's been brought up elsewhere also, and I know whoward69 (whom you may know to be pretty tech savvy if you frequent the modding fora) looked into the game logs and said that the fighters actually did intercept the bombers targeting the city according to the log entries, but that the animation apparently didn't run properly.

I also remember that there was a specific game patch (sadly, I don't remember which, but I think it was one of the post-G&K patches) where this stopped working - before patch, animation was shown, and after patch, animation stopped working. This might have been the patch that tweaked GW Bomber animation speed (that's just a guess from my part, but it would seem like a logical place to start looking).

So all in all, I think there's more to the story than what's discussed in the thread you link. Remember that interception doesn't necessarily prevent the bomber from damaging the city, it just deals more return damage to the bomber. This may not be easily seen to the player when the animation is not shown. When that's said, I'm myself not convinced everything works as intended, and the case posted by the OP in this case does smell like some sort of bug making the game suddenly "forget" to do the interception.

I agree with Kaspergm (regarding attacking the city).

It does seem that perhaps a fighter sweep has been conducted. However, I would hope that doesn't destroy any chance of an interception if you have numerous fighters

Top Bottom