1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fill Policy Slot Bugged

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Bug Reports' started by In4ser, Oct 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. In4ser

In4ser Chieftain

The game keeps asking me to fill an empty military card slot for my government but all the policy cards are blacked out and cannot be selected. This prevents me from ending my turn and I've tried to save and reload but the game is still bugged. I had to restart the entire game.

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Can you post the last autosave from before the problem arose?

3. In4ser

In4ser Chieftain

Thanks for the quick reply, however went back and accidentally I saved over it :( My bad. I'll keep the save file next time.

Side note regarding policy card UI: could Firaxis make it so you can just replace existing cards with new cards without having to empty the slot first. Its a minor issue but it's pretty annoying having to remove policy cards each time to have them replaced instead replacing them automatically when placing a new card.

Keep up the good work! I'm enjoying this game much more than Civ V vanilla.

4. Browd

Just drag your new card from the right-hand panel and drop it on the card you want to replace.

5. Esa Rosendahl

Esa Rosendahl Chieftain

I got an extra economic card slot from a great person (had to go to a district to launch the great person effect). This disabled the whole view/choose policies screen/view.

Reloading an after-the-bug saved game or restarting civilization 6 and then reloading the saved game does not help.

Attached Files:

6. alhill

alhill Chieftain

Yes, there is a legit bug here. For me, what happened was that I upgraded to a new government (monarchy) and had new slots to fill. I filled them but then immediately after was offered a new Great Person (Adam Smith) who gives you a new slot. The game required me to fill that slot, but I couldn't do it, because all the policies were greyed out, I presume because I had just switched to a new government and finished a "free" policy change the same turn.

Nasty bug, nothing to do about it except revert to auto-save.

7. ThERat

ThERat Deity

I had a game freeze when asked to fill the additional slot that a Great merchant had just created. It wouldn't let me finish this. Only way was to restart.

8. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

I just experienced the same bug with Adam Smith.
    Once I activated him there was no way to fill the new policy slot, and so no way to end turn and continue the game.

9. Belzek

Belzek Chieftain

Here's a save game with the Adam Smith bug, used him this turn, policy slot open but will not let me select policy. Cannot continue game. No mods.

Attached Files:

10. Browd

Can you post a save file from before when you activated Adam Smith? The save file you posted is after activation, when the game is already stuck.

11. Belzek

Belzek Chieftain

Reverted and finished game, so don't have pre-bug file. The issue was definitely due to having changed a policy on that turn prior to triggering him. I went back to previous save and triggered him before changing policies on same turn with no problem.

Also found a (sort of) way to work around it while bugged: it will let you change governments, so you can then fill policies and proceed.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  12. Nutellaeis

Nutellaeis Chieftain

Have the same Problem. Adding a save to reproduce. To trigger:

1. Change Government
    2. Use Adam Smith (in London)

The Game will tell you to change Government but everything will be greyed out.

Attached Files:

13. Rick Lockett

Rick Lockett Chieftain

Same issue with Adam Smith playing as Montezuma. Filled policy slot, activated Adam Smith, told to fill policy slot but they were greyed out.

V. 1.0.0.38

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  14. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

I finished a Civic and selected the next one followed by changing my policies for free. Later in the same turn, I used a Great Merchant that provides a +1 Economics Civics slot, which causes the Fill Policy Slot prompt. Selecting the Fill Policy Slot button causes the Government window to open in the View Policies tab. There is no Change Policies tab, because I had already changed my policies this turn. When I exit the Government window, the Fill Policy Slot button is still active. The game tells me to fill the new policy and then there is no way to select a policy to fill the new economics slot.

This infinite loop will not allow me to end the turn; I believe the only work-around to this bug is to reload the last auto save file and use the Great Merchant before changing policies; make all policy changes while satisfying the Fill Policy Slot prompt.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  15. Sun Tzu Wu

The work-around for this GUI bug in general is to avoid changing government or changing policies until after any actions that otherwise increase the number of policy slots such that the user is required to select one or more new policies. Great People that add policy slots anytime during the turn are a cause of this bug and possibly the only cause. Great Wonders that add policy slots should not be an issue, because the Fill Policy Slot should be the first action in the turn that the game prompts you to do. Changing Governments can also add policy slots and if you already changed policies it may be an issue, but I suspect the developers were probably aware of this possibility and handled it correctly. Off hand, I don't recall any other way that policy slots get added anytime in the turn and thus cause a very similar bug.

This bug is caused by rarely allowing the player to change his mind. For example, if you order a unit to heal in a turn, you can't go back and order him to attack or move instead. Relevant to this bug is the fact that policies are allowed to change only once per turn (obviously if you didn't finish a policy last turn, you will need to pay to chance policies in the current turn). If policies changes where allowed to change as many times as desired in a turn, this bug would not even exist.

In Civ IV, many changes were reversible later in the turn. In Civ VI, the developers seemed to make all game actions irreverisible whether or not they could make certain classes of actions reversible. It is this design guideline to make all actions irreversible that allowed this GUI bug to occur at all.

16. Captain Kilgore

Captain Kilgore Chieftain

I'm also having this issue, reloading and restarting do not help. Didn't change policies or governments beforehand, didn't do anything before hand, Adam Smith broke the game damn it.

17. Sun Tzu Wu

Try going to your last auto-save file. Then avoid changing governments or policies until you use Adam Smith. I assume he adds a policy slot. Next select government if desired and change policies, including filling the empty policy slot. You should then be able to proceed with your game.

18. afungus amongus

afungus amongus Chieftain

Your analysis seems about right, though it is also possible to chop or Engineer a Wonder mid-turn to trigger this bug. Just happened to me with Potala - I can post a save if you like.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  19. Manuel Padilha

Manuel Padilha Chieftain

Just had the same problem. In my case it was, if I remember it correctly, using Adam Smith after having filled a new slot granted though Forbidden Palace.

20. AmtrakQuebec

AmtrakQuebec King

You know that place by the other place...
    THis has been addressed in the Winter Update.