1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Filter political content from New Posts

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Mycroft Canner, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Mycroft Canner

Mycroft Canner Chieftain

Is there an easy way to filter forums where political discussion is allowed, basically the whole of Off-Topic, from the results of the New Posts function? I am getting sick of seeing people discussing current affairs when looking up what's new in Civ 6.

2. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

Go to the Civ 6 forums. At the top right just above where the threads start, click on Watch Forum.

Disable emails and alerts. Then press Watched Forums in the bar at the top of the site. This page will then contain new posts/threads from the forums you've watched.

Link: https://forums.civfanatics.com/watched/forums

3. Mycroft Canner

Mycroft Canner Chieftain

Thanks for replying. I watched several Civ 6 forums as you suggested, but then I end up with a list of forums with only the thread title of the latest updated thread per forum visible on the right. It would still require me to enter each forum individually to see what else is new. This is basically no different than doing the same from the front page.

What I desire is a list of new/updated threads, not forums, with Off-Topic content filtered out. If only Off-Topic discussion was less popular, then the occasional political thread wouldn't matter as much. Right now, Civilization discussion is slowly drowning in a marsh of current affairs references.

4. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

I can change your account so that you won't see any posts from the Off-topic Forum in the New Posts section of the main forum page. You also won't be able to read or post in that forum. You will however still see new posts from all other forums, not just, say, the Civ 6 forums. Please post again if you want me to do this. You can then see if that's what you want (the action is reversible).

5. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

It would be interesting to create a new banner for those who choose to have the Off-Topic forum disabled.

What name should we give it? The name should be neutral (since there are quite a number of people otherwise obsessed with politics but don't want to be exposed to it).

6. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

I thought more about @Mycroft Canner 's request and may have found a better solution. Following are instructions how to search for new posts in a single forum or in multiple forums. The search results using this technique will display (part of) the original post in the thread. However, I couldn't find a way to search all forums except OT. (More on this below.)

Here's how to find all recent threads in the collection of all Civilization VI subforums (Modify as needed to search other forums):
    • From the main forum page select Search Forums from the menu near the top of the page. This will take you to the Advanced Search page.
    • In the Keywords field enter three asterisks (i.e., ***). Do NOT check Search titles only.
    • In the Newer Than field, select a date. This will find all threads whose last post is newer than that date. The initial post may be earlier.
    • In the Search in Forums field, select CIVILIZATION VI. (See below Note #1 for more information.)
    • Check Search child forums as well. (See below Note #2 below.)
    • Select the desired Order By option.
    • Check Display results as threads.
    • Select the Search button.
    Wait patiently. The search may take some time.

Note #1: You can use this technique to display recent threads from other forums or subforums. You can select multiple forums by holding down the Ctrl key when clicking on each forum. (This applies to PCs. Not sure how to do this on a Mac.) As mentioned above, you could try exclude the OT forum (or any other forum) by selecting all other forums using the standard Windows key combos Ctrl, Shift and Ctrl-Shift. However, the search didn't work when I did so. I suspect I ran into a limit of some sort.

Note #2: No need to search child forums (i.e., subforums) if not necessary.

Please post here if you have any questions.

Finally, @God of Kings , thanks for your suggestion, but this post renders it moot.

7. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

As a Mac user, we use the Command Key (looks like ⌘ and often written as "Cmd") wherever Windows and Linux users use Ctrl. Contrary to popular misconceptions, Macs are technically PCs.
    No problem.