Final cosmetic changes?

Wodhann

South American Norse God
I haven't been in these forums too much, not because of civ 6 (too expensive for me still) but because I really dislike the layout of the new forums (seriously, why is everything the same color, no contrast or anything, it hurts my head), but I feel this is necessary if we're coming to a close on VP's development.

I want to ask the community if there is anything on the aesthetic side of things that you would like to see changed or fixed. Vox Populi is supposed to be as professional of a mod as possible (especially considering its importance) and so I think it has to look the part. Is there any icon that looks cheap, or any model/texture that looks amateurish, or so on and so forth? Let me know.

NOTE: Please provide me with examples for what needs changing, and if necessary, the actual file for me to change. It makes it easier on my end.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me, but the great diplomat icon has always been strikingly... off. I'd like to see it changed, but I don't have much more insight to give.

I have NEVER liked the knight unit icon. But that's a vanilla icon, so it probably has no place here.

If you ask up to the model level : the Armored Car looks like it comes from Mad Max.
but I know that changing it enough would mean making a whole new model, so ... :/

Guys can you show what the current icons for the ones you think are bad look like, so I can compare them and see if they need changing?

Maybe it's just me, but the great diplomat icon has always been strikingly... off. I'd like to see it changed, but I don't have much more insight to give.
The CSD is gazebo's child though so he might be more attached to his choice of icons. Not sure if he's willing to change those.

We obviously know which one's the knight, but yeah, the unit icon's always been bulky and ugly to me. The horseman's has always looked nicer to the point that I'd often not want to upgrade. Weird, huh? :crazyeye:

Guys can you show what the current icons for the ones you think are bad look like, so I can compare them and see if they need changing?

The CSD is gazebo's child though so he might be more attached to his choice of icons. Not sure if he's willing to change those.

I'm attached to nothing. Please help, drifting through space and time.....

I'm using a few mods that affect icons and textures:

Terrain Texture Enhancement 2k v11
Colored religion icons
Redesigned Colors and Icons v.1.3 (affects civs icons)

Quite happy with them as they made differences more obvious and overall more vibrant. Not sure if they should go with VP as a default though.

I also wanted to try out UI - Promotion Tree (v 15) mod as I think it'll make deciding promotions easier (haven't used it yet though, not sure if buggy). IMHO this should be available by default since the Civipedia for promotion is not very helpful.

If you ask up to the model level : the Armored Car looks like it comes from Mad Max.
but I know that changing it enough would mean making a whole new model, so ... :/

Hahaha! Yes, I was thinking how this unit is in anyway historic?

Armored cars are real! :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Armoured_Car

If someone wants to model this for me, it is what I really wanted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armored_car_(military)#/media/File:Simms_Motor_Scout_from_Autocar.jpg

Pretty please?

Current model is from Smokey Skies scenario (as there is no armored car unit/graphic).

G

LOL! I was gonna say that I would just shoot them wheels and they'll be sitting ducks. Then I noticed all those spare tyres...
Learnt something today :smug:

The Gold/Culture/Happiness/Food/etc. overview in the top left of the city screen looks bugged when using Vox Populi without EUI. Some kind of double spacing issue. Something in CBP is causing it I guess, without CBP there are no issues.

Is it possible to add war bugle sound like in Civ 4 to announce the start of a war? Sometimes I will miss another civ being wiped out on another continent when I'm focused on my own area.

Skirmishers could do with their own model. They always look so out of place with their armored horses before the medieval era. Maybe a variant of the horse archers the Huns have?

Armored cars are real! :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Armoured_Car

If someone wants to model this for me, it is what I really wanted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armored_car_(military)#/media/File:Simms_Motor_Scout_from_Autocar.jpg

Pretty please?

Current model is from Smokey Skies scenario (as there is no armored car unit/graphic).

G
Current model doesn't very look like the armoured cars on the photos. I remember some nice sprites in an old Panzer General game.
Most WWI models are just classic cars with an armored turret carrying a machine gun. This way, the vehicle is almost as tall as it is long. Some of them have also a bulky armour around the car. Just four big wheels. No spikes. Current model looks too long and flat.
They are not as tought as a tank. It's more like a fast mobile machine gun (a modern skirmisher). It's easy to see why they were developed into tanks, as more and more planks were added to make them survive longer.

Personally I won't do any model touching because it would mean I would have to bother Deliverator even more.

Texture tweaks are fine, though, if they're necessary

Top Bottom