1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fantasy Skin - Red Mage (1/05/06)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by Dual, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Dual

Dual Gun Mage

This is a reskin of the explorer unit to look like the Red Mage character class from the very first Final Fantasy videogame.

A Red Mage is able to cast both healing and attack spells (although only the weaker spells), and is also a competent swordsman.

View attachment Red_Mage.zip

EDIT:

Here's a alternate version without the sword, as was requested in post #10. I think it looks better with the sword myself, but it wasn't too hard to edit out with the alpha channel. This makes it look like the Red Mage is laying the smackdown with his bare fists. :lol:

View attachment RED_MAGE_SWORDLESS.zip

Here are some pics:

redmage1.jpg

redmage2.jpg

If you are wondering why the lower half of his face is red, that is a cloth handkerchief kind of thing. Like what they always show train robbers in the old west movies wearing. ;)

2. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING Supporter

This is very well done. :goodjob:

3. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Very pretty. Nice job Dual.

4. Dual

Dual Gun Mage

5. Kael

Kael Deity

Now you have made me want to go play Final Fantasy again. ;)

6. Robo Magic Man

Robo Magic Man Prince

The screenshots aren't showing up :(. Try just uploading a pic as an attachment.

7. Frostyboy

Frostyboy Never Beaten

Really weird looking, but noce. I never played Final Fantasy though

8. Marquez

Marquez Chieftain

Looks great! You mentioned the abilities of the red mage. I was wondering what the stats for the new unit is.

9. Dual

Dual Gun Mage

In my game I've added a line of magic techs, with the Red Mage being from a tech that takes roughly the same amount of time to research as Iron Working. So the stats I'm using reflect that the Red Mage is a slightly more powerful swordsman:

Strength: 7 (1 extra damage because he can use magic)
    Movement: 1
    Cost: 45 (Slightly more expensive than a swordsman)
    - Starts with March (To represent the healing spells)

Please note, I don't want to confuse anyone into thinking the zip file I posted has these stats for the unit included. The file is just the graphics, so you'll have to edit in any stats you want for your new unit.

10. Shqype

Shqype Shqyptar

Have you considered removing the sword? I understand it is possible to remove weapons from units, but no other parts of the model.

I think the Red Mage would be more like a Red Mage if it didn't have a sword ... that way one could assume that all he did was cast magic.

I like the red handkerchief around his neck ;)

11. Dual

Dual Gun Mage

Well, I like the sword myself. But it might be possible to make it not show up by editing the alpha channel.

Maybe I'll mess around with it in a couple days. If I can get it to work I'll post a swordless version.

12. Ih8backstabbers

Ih8backstabbers Chieftain

Can you show a screenshot of the magic techs?

13. Dual

Dual Gun Mage

Sure, here's a sample of the magic techs I've edited in.

I'm going to release a mod based on Final Fantasy (along with some other anime/sci-fi sources) sometime in the future. But it's going to be quite a while before it's ready. I need the SDK to do a lot of the changes I want to do, and I'm still in the process of learning to use Python.

MagicTechSample.jpg

14. Ih8backstabbers

Thanks for the screenshot. So what tech do you need for the Red Mage?
    P.S. I like to play FF1!

15. Ih8backstabbers

Well, can you add White Mages/Wizards and Black Mages/Wizards? The Mages could promote to Wizards with a new tech, like Alchemy?

16. Dual

Dual Gun Mage

That Grey Magic tech is the one I have giving the Red Mage. I've already added White and Black mages to the White and Black Magic techs, and I'm planing on adding wizards somewhere along the way. Right now I have Black Mages promoting to Necromancers, and White Mages to Summoners. Everything is in the early stages though, so things might get shuffled around a lot.

Oh, and Alchemy is going to be in the mod. The tech and unit is going to be a mixture of ideas from the FF alchemists and the anime Fullmetal Alchemist. I'm not going to be keeping strictly to FF, I'm going to be making additions from all sorts of the different fantasy/sci-fi stories and games I like. :mischief:

17. Dracleath

Dracleath Warlord

It varies depending on what final fantasy you're talking about, but red mages pretty much always used rapiers/light swords so the unit I think is good with them.

18. Dual

Dual Gun Mage

I edited the first post to include a swordless version of this skin. It looks a little funny during battles, because it seems like the Red Mage is brawling with his bare fists. :lol: But some people might enjoy it.

19. Ih8backstabbers

Soo... what is the last era of magic?

20. Dual

Dual Gun Mage

The magic techs are going to stretch through all the eras a' la final fantasy. Including a new future era I intend to add.

Like I said though, my work is all in the very early stages. It's likely going to be months after the SDK is released that the mod will be ready.