1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Mafia 2019 (Cold War Mafia)

Discussion in 'Mafia/NOTW' started by Montmorency, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Montmorency

Montmorency Prince

I would say not if you're dead or have been dead and subbed in, though the obvious problem is that there's no ready way for me to tell ante quem a post has been liked.

I usually like to defer to people's discretion until given a reason not to, so follow the above guideline for now (essentially, acceptable as long as you're living and have never died).

Snerk likes this.
  2. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

*remembers the Zack Mafia game*

topsecret likes this.
  3. Yakostovian

Yakostovian Prince

Standard US Military date conventions put the most significant factors first.
    YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS

Which, by all rights, makes the most absolute sense.

4. Takhisis

US military conventions makes the most absolute sense? Only a Sith talks in absolutes.

5. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

As this notation can only make sense from the 13th of any month (despite what wikipedia may say), I am likely to miss the start of the game... and get lynched :sad:

6. Yakostovian

Yakostovian Prince

:lol:
    Is this one of those, "it takes one to know one" situations?
    (I know the movie said it!)

7. Takhisis

By all means feel invited to have that discussion in the proper venue.

8. Montmorency

Montmorency Prince

What month is it next week?

This is everyone's notice that the game starts in 122 hours (in 5 days, Monday the second of December, at 7 PM Eastern Time). There will be further notices.

9. Montmorency

Montmorency Prince

Signups:

1. @Timsup2nothin (Tim)
    2. @Takhisis (Barto, Bart, Tak)
    3. - @wolfy1997 (wolfy)
    4. @JohannaK (Johanna, Jo)
    5. @pzelda (Zelda)
    6. @MaryKB (Mary)
    7. @Snerk
    8. @Omega124 (Omega)
    9. @Seon
    10. @Synsensa (Syn)
    11. @RRRaskolnikov (Rask)
    12. @Visorslash
    13. @Yakostovian (Logic)

The game starts in 72 hours, Monday 12/2 at 7 PM ET

Any reserves or other potential players, know that the game design can accommodate up to two more players if you want to join. I will rand (assign) the roles shortly before time on Monday.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  10. Takhisis

It's MaryKB, actually.

Edit: also, will we be playing in this same thread?

11. Montmorency

Montmorency Prince

Game Information

In a Mafia game, there is a Town who must eliminate the Mafia to win, and a Mafia who must eliminate or reach parity with the Town. Parity means the size of the Mafia team equals or exceeds the size of the Town team. Parity can also be declared before this point if there is no mechanical path to victory left for Town (e.g. day ends with 4 town and 3 mafia). Some hosts have liked to tweak player anxieties by running the game overnight in such circumstances, but I will terminate the game promptly if the time comes.

Players vote to lynch during day (48 hours). At night (24 hours) eligible players - mafia & town PRs (power roles) - submit actions.
    48/24 rounds.
    Setup:
    Town
    (Town roles do not start aware of each other)
    7 vanilla (Canada, Mexico, UK, France, Italy, Japan, Australia)
    West Germany (FRG): Cop. Can only identify East Germany.
    South Korea (ROK): Cop. Can only identify North Korea.
    America (USA): Doctor. Can stop kills from anyone, but loses ability once FRG and ROK are dead. Is alerted when Mafia successfully identify a Town PR (including itself).

Mafia
    East Germany (GDR): Goon.
    North Korea (DPRK): Goon.
    Soviet Union (SSSR): Rolecop. Cannot kill until both GDR and DPRK are dead. Can perform double scans on N1.

Full alignment and role reveal ("flip") upon player death.

Voting:
    Voting is done by writing Vote: player's name bolded and they can be unvoted (Unvote: player's name) as many times as you like before the phase ends. It is not necessary to unvote before casting a new vote. A vote will be counted if the target is intelligible to me. The player list contains suggested abbreviations for player names in parentheses.

No Lynch and Abstain are not allowed.

SUPPORT VOTES ARE ALLOWED. Instead of voting for a victim, you can vote to support them, which subtracts 1 from their tally. Do this by casting a normal vote for that player but coloring the text green.

Ties are resolved by the first tie-breaking vote after deadline. Only normal (non-support) votes for tied players are valid in a tie.

I will post a few official vote tallies during the day. Players are encouraged to supplement these with unofficial tallies.

Editing: You have a forum-linked grace period of a minute or so to stealth-edit your post. Don't edit a vote into a post unless you posted early inadvertently and feel lucky, punk. Never edit a vote out of a post. Posts labeled as edited are not to be counted toward the vote tally.

Communication
    : You cannot post, quote, screenshot, etc. any private communications between you and the GM here in the thread. Do not contact each other privately except as prescribed by host. You will not be penalized for talking in the game thread at night. Do not post or like posts when dead. (Do not like posts if you have died and subsequently subbed in.) Any questions to the GM should be asked in private.

Activity: Show up in the thread daily or I'll have to find a replacement. How much leeway I extend depends on depth of inactivity and reserve availability. In extremity you will face the Wrath of God (modkill). If I have to modkill you I will smite without regard to game state or balance. Do not discuss substitutions or modkills in the game.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  12. Montmorency

Montmorency Prince

Gotcha. Sure, why not. Notice: Game events such as beginning/end of phases will be collected top of thread for ease of access.

13. Takhisis

I've just realised that we can play this like Polandball. :evil:

14. Visorslash

Visorslash Deity

id just make a new thread for ease of reading

15. Montmorency

Montmorency Prince

I thought about it, but it would be too much work on my part. There will be some flavor though.

That's been standard on the Org for some years now, but the posting rate here isn't that high. Starting new threads is something I'm neurotic about for whatever reason.

BTW, to be clear the rounds will be 48/24 hours. Is there any other expected detail missing from Game Information?

16. Takhisis

What happens to people who post but don't vote is left unclear. You say that voting for no lynch or abstain is not allowed, but voting and then unvoting, or not posting a vote, is.

Also, tiebreaker methods?

17. Montmorency

Montmorency Prince

It's OK to not vote, as long as you participate. Whether you post once a day, or post with a vote once a day, isn't much of a difference. On the other hand someone who is doing the bare minimum is liable to be replaced if/when Topsecret is available, since he appears prepared to put in time and effort. Be good little players or the fairies will kidnap ye!

The mechanically-safest tiebreaker is to extend the round by a fixed period, but for hosting considerations and the flavor of the game he who dares, wins. See updated Information post.

@Visorslash : Plz revive rock-paper-scissors showdown as a tiebreaker in your game. :shifty:

18. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

Having been part of the real life cold war mafia...errrrr, submarine service...I would like to be a nuclear weapon rather than any particular country.

19. Takhisis

This reminds me that I should start hosting rock-paper-scissors games again. *makes mental note*

20. wolfy1997

wolfy1997 Chieftain

Soviet Union (SSSR)

in english it's spelled USSR i think, in cyrillic it's СССР. first time i see the two combined xp