1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Mafia 2019 (Cold War Mafia)

Discussion in 'Mafia/NOTW' started by Montmorency, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Visorslash

Visorslash Deity

Seon you stupid phone

2. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Go home Visor you're drunk.

3. Visorslash

Visorslash Deity

I wish.

Snerk likes this.
  4. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

Oh, 24 hours ago looked perfectly townish to me. It's less tinfoil and more resentment.

5. Manasi

Manasi Prince

6. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Did you solve the murder mystery?

edit: don't leave me hanging on a "good now solve this one" reply

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  7. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

It was the Skyrim quote that saved me. :smug:

Actually, it was probably Manasi's meltdown. It completely blew the vote gates open.

8. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Meh, I bet you've never even been to the cloud district.

Visorslash likes this.
  9. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

So, first, apologies to any and all that I have misgendered. I remember many times thinking "I should look for accuracy, but I'll just be lazy and say 'they,' and apparently I still screwed up.

@Snerk I think "Tunnelmad Tim" would be more accurate than "Tinfoil Tim," but that's your call since you are bearing the brunt of it.

As to everyone else:

Visor was on Jo for the four way tie, and switched to burn Seon. If he was some sort of communist mastermind than two of the tied quartet were town. Figure Jo was one, since the hypothetical mastermind was pushing her, that means Syn or Manasi is a choice, and he could have easily justified switching to either one of them and "regretted" it after the flip. Visor is town. I'd vote for myself sooner.

Raskol was on Seon before the whole "slip" nonsense, which even now I think is nonsense. Seon's response when the slip accusation came out of left field was slippery as heck and certainly added to the already mounting evidence against, most of which Raskol had either pointed out in the first place or immediately acknowledged as good dirt. Unless he was planning a 'sacrifice Seon to establish myself in deepest cover' play from minute one of day one I just can't see anything but town there. Those who know him better need to determine if Raskol is really that rascally.

Large gap here...

Mary has played exactly as I would expect her to play in what would be her first game as a townie. Once she got pushed past her opposition to "killing" as a necessary function of the game, and forced into accepting that someone she likes from OT has just as much chance of randomly drawing scum as anyone else she at least started to play.

Syn also is meeting my expectations. The learning curve is steep and he doesn't seem to be as interested in climbing it as he could be, so he strikes me as just a slightly less clueless townie as he was the first time. If he was scum he'd have a couple of experienced players explaining the game to him privately and would be catching on much faster. I was sort of hoping to draw scum so I could be in those conversations myself.

Zelda gets credit for the Seon vote, but not the full credit. Wasn't in first like Ras, wasn't the decisive final switch thrower like Visor, and wasn't beating the bushes for votes all day like me. That could have been a misdirection vote gone wrong by someone who either thought Seon would be safe or figured they'd have an opportunity to change. The rest of the speculation on Zelda has never seemed all that solid to me, but ymmv.

Another gap here...

Manasi just got revealed by Syn, who I am glad to see catching on. I was expecting Mary, Syn, and myself among a (potential) wolfpack of wily veterans. If Manasi is one of the commies she has got to be the worst commie ever. I just cannot believe that. Outraged townie that just doesn't fathom how some 'trivial' slips turned into a lynch happy mob while she wasn't looking seems a better fit to me. The fact that most of those slips were pointed out by Seon helps here, but if the commies came up with a "Seon, you are beyond salvage so make a splash of suspecting one of us as cover on your way out" play it would also look like that.

Jo is another 'outraged townie' poser who might be real, but the pose is a whole lot less convincing because the charge wasn't lead by a known communist. Veteran player who knows how to help, but hasn't really, even when pressured. When next met with suspicion had better come up with a really well formed case against someone else rather than just outrage, lest we have to use a Salem witch trial method of verification (ie hold them underwater and if they don't drown they're a witch, if they do we made a mistake).

Omega is Snerk's favorite villain, and with my tunnel pointing at Snerk it is hard for me to weigh the evidence he has coughed up against her. Perhaps location on the planet accounts for not participating at the critical times, but I have to admit that Snerk has a point about there not being much substance the rest of the time either. If I were totally out of sync I'd be making long rambling posts like this one to give everyone something to think about other than "hey where's Tim?"

Which brings me to the last remaining player, who I know is a wily schemer. Maybe not a scummy schemer, but certainly has the chops to pull it off. And by 'it' I mean getting involved early and deeply to build up town cred in hopes of riding it through the hard times. But Tak really seems to have dropped off the radar once the chips started piling up on Seon. I hope someone takes the time to see if he ever expressed any serious doubts about Seon. I mean, he tossed at least a pressure vote at just about everyone at some point to see how they would react, but...

10. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Tunnelmad Tim and the Adventures of the Lost Scum Scrolls.

I'd watch it.

11. Timsup2nothin

But will you pony up a piece of the production costs? And who do you think we should cast as the sympathetic protagonist, the harshly treated misunderstood hero; Snerk of the town?

12. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

It belongs in a museum!

13. Timsup2nothin

If we have you starring as yourself it would save budget, since we could pay you in cookies. As the villain, I would obviously have to be played by someone with an English accent.

14. Timsup2nothin

Hey @Snerk, serious question not related to this game in particular, just to improve my understanding of the game generally...

When the game starts the one thing I know, at least in my games so far, is "I am town." Because I know that, anyone who votes for me I immediately add "I know you voted for a town player" to their tally. If their evidence seems flimsy and they seem really committed anyway it gets really hard for me to not see them as "probably scum.," and I devolve very rapidly into a strong desire to hang them.

If someone came at me the way I have been coming at you I'd be really hard pressed not to be fitting them for a noose, and yet you've not tilted that way at all. How do you do that?

15. Synsensa

Snerk is used to being treated like a treasure, so for him it's only natural a bank robber would want to get at him.

16. MaryKB

MaryKB Deity Supporter

I've had some thoughts after what happened yesterday ...

Something that popped into my mind, is since USA (whoever s/he is) saved someone on N1, s/he can be pretty much 100% certain that person is NATO, right? (why would Warsaw try to kill one of their own???) If only we had some way of knowing who was targeted, we could eliminate one vote candidate, right? But I guess that's not really possible, lol!

How do we know if West Germany or South Korea identifies someone? Would they just say it? Would we believe them? (I'm trying to learn a game nuance here, I've never experienced this :))

I'm 100% convinced Tim, Rask, and Visor are NATO.
    • Tim is doing a really good job of his analysis, and he's the one responsible for getting a Warsaw person. Maybe he's even South Korea?
    • Rask I still feel is extremely helpful for our team, and I know his mafia play style from being on his team last time
    • Visor helped me yesterday, when I was looking really clueless. If he was Warsaw I feel he would've taken advantage of me and made things worse. Unless I see something really suspicious pointed out to me, I'm going with friendly on him.
    I'm really going to be paying closer attention to Tim today; not to say I'll just follow his vote, but after his success yesterday my respect for his thought process really went up a lot.

I'm still suspicious of Manasi, but not as hard as I was yesterday. I guess maybe she really was busy, but I still don't like her voting strategies so far. But I know for certain I'm obviously wrong on my Manasi-Omega-Takhisis theory.

I feel pretty safe with Synsensa, especially since Manasi and Omega tried to have him killed yesterday (possibly hoping to save Seon, their teammate??)

My favoritism of Syn and Snerk is completely and wholely related to out-of-game relationships. Syn has a special place in my heart, he's almost like a little brother to me. And you all know my feelings for Snerk, and that's the only reason I followed his vote in D1, because I didn't know what else to do and I had no idea who may or may not be evil.

But I'm starting to feel my undying loyalty crack in the name of playing the game fairly. I don't know if I'm ready right now to throw everything in for one of these two, but I'm feeling like it's starting to look like a possibility now, lol. I'm sorry for my silly attachments.

Those are my thoughts for now, I'll be back tomorrow :) Good luck tonight everyone! :) Let's hope USA can do her/his thing again! :)

17. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Couple of things, while is true that as a villager all you know is that you are innocent, and anybody voting for you is therefor voting for a townie, but automatically replying with a vote back at the player voting for you is strategically a dead end for town. If everybody does that, nothing will be resolved. In fact we have a name for it. It's called an OMGUS vote (oh my god you suck). It is somewhat frowned upon because it's not very solvey. That's not to say that it's always a bad vote, just something we should be wary about. In general, if that's all your basing your vote at it's probably a bad vote and you should reconsider.

Other than that you just gotta try and look at the bigger picture. People putting the squeeze on other players is necessary for the town to make progress. Sometimes you're in the headlights, sometimes you're driving. Put yourself in the place of your opponent, if they're town they don't know if your full of BS or not. A healthy dose of paranoia is required for anybody trying to solve the game. Nobody wants to lose face and trusting anybody is risky business.

As far as your game so far is concerned I secretly hope you're mafia as that would include some top notch stellar play, even if the Seon bus would be a little evil.
    Fetch me some grapes would you darling? tyty

18. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

I think I speak for a lot of us when I say it's quite difficult playing with @MaryKB , she has stolen all our hearts. :love:

19. Timsup2nothin

Well, I must admit my early day one votes have been pure OMGUS votes, but I haven't taken them really seriously and I think I've been obvious about not taking them really seriously. My problem runs more to when someone says "I think Tim might be scum because <reasons>" and I think their reasoning is dubious at best, and say so. In my first game when somebody tried to wagon me I gave a far more legit analysis of what I had done than they did and most people bailed off the wagon...and when they refused to be dazzled by my logic I made it my business to hang them, come what may. Of course when they turned up innocent I got promptly hung myself and the town lost, so "come what may" was definitely not a good thing there...

If WG or SK identify their target they should immediately sing out, because they will have done the only thing their power allows them to do. If someone lies and gets somebody lynched then they would merit immediate lynching the next day. Of course WG no longer has a target available, since East Germany hit the end of their rope so their power is gone. I wish I was SK, because there are people I would really like to check out and it would be absolutely great to have some real certainty. Although all SK can really say for sure when they check someone is that the person checked is not NK...they could still be the big baddie USSR.

As to USA#1 and their successful save, yes, they know for sure that someone got targeted by the eastern bloc, so they know that person is a townie. Unfortunately the only way they could pass on that information is by outright saying "I am USA#1 and I saved so and so," which would immediately make USA#1 the top priority target for the scum. I'm hesitant about even speculating around that whole save issue, which is part of why I was so quick to ignore the whole 'Seon slipped' angle. Not that it made any kind of sense anyway.

Maybe when the numbers have dwindled down if USA#1 and the saved person are still in then an open claim eliminating two possibilities would narrow the field decisively enough to make it worthwhile, but that's not my call.

20. Synsensa

Little-brother-zoned. :sad: