Final Round - Beyond Earth Icon Competition

Vote for the icon you think is best (beware of vote splitting - see OP)!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If there was another vote like WastinTime suggests, I imagine it'll be a bit like category A from the last round. I mean, I made an entry with a different font because I had a slightly different idea of how I thought it should look (although in retrospect, my font was too thin). And most of the other entries in that category are also different takes on the BE font (and different ways of reducing the window art). So seems like we'd be going in circles with a third round.

Edit: in case it matters, I like #2 better than the other entries too.

Ooh, Nutty, I really like #2. My favorite so far.

The flatter text looks better and more solid compared to the vertically stretched one that fills the space, and it's still legible.

The newer window from the desktop icon looks better in my opinion. It's darker and more solid with less white space in it, which balances out with the right side better and anchors the "BE". Also, that classic view of a planet in space is more visible too which is nice.

I feel like there should be two prizes - one for idea, and one for execution. Nutty's Hex-C execution (#4 from a couple posts up, I guess) is probably the best I've seen so far, and is perfect except that I favored blue/green fonts over red/black (but those have been voted out already ;-) ).

The next time one of these comes around, maybe we could do it in a manner similar to WotC's "You Make the Card", where we vote separately on different aspects of the icon in text description form (e.g. "Feature a window at the front", "Feature a window in the middle", "Feature a window at the front with one pane removed to look like a 'C'", and then once the design is settled, we let the talented designers here dive in and compete on the execution of that single idea.

Or maybe we're putting too much work into 336 total pixels. :lol:

I think a two step process of rough idea to polished execution would probably work out as long as it was clear from the beginning. I will also admit I'd probably prefer a slightly smaller BE font now that I've seen the large and medium BEs next to each other.

EDIT: Fixed number 4 a bit so there's less crowding between the C and B.

In Nutty's latest set of 4 icons:
Again, I'm torn. I am 100% for the C window which only gives me one choice: #4.
Even tho I prefer the larger center window with more blue from #1 and #2.

I'd also rather have the BE from #2 or #3.
Which is why I think the two sides should be separate votes. And no, it's not a slippery slope...we don't need to vote on the B separately from the E :D

So, I guess the perfect icon for me would be #2 with the right window removed.

... I favored blue/green fonts over red/black (but those have been voted out already ;-) )

Yes, it seems we are in the (vast) minority, which is strange to me. I don't understand the popularity of the red icons - there is literally no red in any of the BE material except for the trim on the title, while the blue-green is everywhere and the only icon with that color scheme made it into the final round was mine. Red just doesn't say "Beyond Earth" to me.:cringe:

:confused: other than the actual B and actual E from the box cover art you mean?

Yes, that's what I said, but you cut it out from the quote. The red is just for contrast, it's a highlight against the white/blue-green color palette. But hey, it's just a little icon, no biggie.:)

Hmm, I think the "C" effect would be lost or greatly lessened with the new window and its proportions -- the middle is larger and more prominent.

maybe, maybe not.
I think some effort to make a C is better than none.
See it would probably help :mischief:

The red font comes from the cover art as here.

Some people like the C, some not. With or without the C, the larger font size seems to be the draw for #1. [EDIT: Oh, wait, all 3 use my bigger font. Yeah, whatever, some people don't want the C.]

As I mentioned in my post of revised icons, "the new [window] can't communicate a C effectively," i.e., it looks barely C-like when the right window is removed. I tried.

[EDIT: See? ;) ]

Attachments

• NewWindow-C-BigLettersBold.png
    NewWindow-C-BigLettersBold.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 111
  • NewWindow-C-SmallLetters.png
    NewWindow-C-SmallLetters.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 103
As I mentioned in my post of revised icons, "the new [window] can't communicate a C effectively," i.e., it looks barely C-like when the right window is removed. I tried.

Sounds like the perfect compromise between those that want the C and those that think it's too gimmicky.

Sounds like the perfect compromise between those that want the C and those that think it's too gimmicky.

Maybe, although it seems like a lose-lose to me. Plus, my issue with the "C" isn't that it's gimmicky, but that it's not so easily recognizable as the BE icon/cover art.

Top Bottom