Final score

Ruler

Prince
Hello, I always end up to be Nero or worst in the end of the game after last game I started to wonder what is wrong. I was first and second was behind me about 250 points and I was first or second in almost every demograpicy I think at import/export I was forth all the rest was 1-2. I won the game by space victory and difficult level was Prince but still I was only Nero in a final score.

I think I did do pretty good job but obviously I didn't?

a few hints :
- population! a big part of the score
- time : when did you win?
- victory type : conquest or domination give you more points...
- wonders : you get more points if you build wonders

Try harder ;)

Ruler said:
I think I did do pretty good job but obviously I didn't?

As they say in the Old Country (New Jersey), forgeddaboutit. Most folks here will tell you not to worry so much about score. Play the game to have fun. As you improve and play on harder levels, your scores will get better. I enjoy my Dan Quayle games more than my Julius Caesar ones. In the highscoring games, the outcome is known long before the actual victory. The last 50 turns or so involve executing a plan that you put into place many turns before. In the Dan Quayle games, however, you're working and fighting right to the end and that's a lot of fun.

I've found that the largest factor is time. Try to win a game around 1900 on prince and you'll get a great score.

Crimso said:
I've found that the largest factor is time. Try to win a game around 1900 on prince and you'll get a great score.

1900 is much too late ;)
Actually i agree, with a space victory around 1900, you should be augustus...
But there is room for much earlier domination/conquest victories, allowing much higher scores. Especially domination, since you'll have a lot of cities, with a lot of population.

I agree with Cabert - my highest scores have always come in the form of domination victories, a few centuries before the 1900's. The sooner you can finish the game, the higher your score will be. If you hover the mouse pointer over your score in the lower right, it'll tell you what your score would be by winning that turn (as well as your score's component makeup, and as others have pointed out, population plays one of the largest roles in this, so more conquested cities and pop will yield higher scores). Towards the end of the game, this number may well be decreasing, as later victories will be weighted less and less heavily.

(I think I recall someone mentioning that your score has to keep doubling fairly quickly in order to keep up with the diminishing returns of finishing later and later; don't recall the exact figure (which would likely vary based on game speed anyway)). Try to start conquesting earlier, and doing so more rapidly, for higher scores.

Final score is:

(base score) ^ (a factor that is related to turns elapsed)

base score is:
Population score + Land score + Tech score + Wonder score

So yes, an early win gets a very high score. I have used the map editor to test the theoretical maximum score, and it is about 2.7 M to win on 3960BC. :crazyeye:

If you are really bothered about score then the biggest factor really is time.

Easy way to get 50k+ :

Play as romans (optional,) chop rush some barracks and some praetorians, promote them with city raider and then send them to kill all the other civs... Aim for a win around 1000BC or earlier. This is easiest on a small map at first and works on most difficulty levels. (You will get a higher score if you manage it on a higher difficulty level.)

Bear in mind that this isn't the way most people prefer to play the game. Some people work out how to get the highest scores possible and go for it, but most people play for fun with scores as the less important aspect (although I do obviously prefer to get a higher score.)

On a game which you are playing normally, the main way to get a better score again is to finish a bit earlier - space race is a harder one to finish particularly early, but you get the bonuses for tech. Also you get score bonuses for population and civ size, so even if you go for a space race you will probably want to take out a couple of civs. Winning by cultural victory is pretty much the hardest to get a good score on.

My highest score is diplomacy win on earthmap. But I don't really care how much points I get. I play this game for fun, and I like warmongering in modern eras. Most of my scores are Dan Quayle/Elthered the unready OR Julius (or was it Augustus) Caesar. But if you want high scores, play a duel map with one AI and gather 4-5 warriors and attack. I haven't tried this (because it's not so fun).

Top Bottom