1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Victory

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by talonschild, Sep 13, 2012.

1. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

So. Thoughts of how we'll win? Conquest has bounced around with positive feedback. There was some talk of culture being horribly impractical. Anyone gonna advocate Space? Diplomatic?

2. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

Is Diplomatic victory feasible to aim at all? Sure enough I can see a situation where a single team about to win a Space victory has managed to anger other teams in the process so much that remainging teams vote for the other candidate just to spite the big guy. But that I'd rather call a Diplomatic loss (a scenario we have to be aware too, BTW) for the big guy rather than a planned Diplomatic victory by the other guy. But in any other scenario, can't everyone else just abstain?

As for Space. I think it is a good fall back if we can't pull of Conquest before that. Anyhow, I believe that underlying strategy aiming for Space and Conquest is rather similar splitting only somewhere in Industrial/Modern era. No need to rule out Space even if we're going primarily for Conquest.

3. talonschild

Excellent. I can't imagine this will need much more discussion until we have met more rivals.

4. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

I only see diplomatic happening if it's a "backdoor diplomatic" victory: you're so populous that you vote yourself the winner.

5. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

This is absurdly early to have this discussion. We are not playing a single player game with predictable AIs. We are playing a multiplayer game where the landscape of the game can change at any time, and we have to be able to adapt to this. Let's focus on building a solid empire and a positive diplomatic environment that will make our position a winnable one for now. :)

6. talonschild

Exactly. Aivoturso said something pretty similar.

7. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

I agree, it is way too early to commit to any victory condition. Only thing we can say for sure at this point is that culture is out. However, IMO it is not too early to start planning how we will achieve victory. For example now that we know that RB is one of our neighbours I think it is prudent to discuss to what extent do we want to ally them. Do we think that we can beat them if we're two last teams left? Or we could discuss that how we want to get rid of other teams. I believe it is rather obvious that we want to be a part of majority alliance (not necessarily in numbers but in terms of power). But what sort of majority will be aiming for? 6 vs 3? Or would we rather have 7 vs 2 to kick two of our most feared rivals out of game?

These kinds of things that are can and should already be discussed. We've met our first rival and the pace of the game is only going up. Soon there'll be full blown diplomatic mayhem going about. We don't want to be unprepared when we need to decide who will we work with, how long and how we will make sure that we'll be the ones getting ahead from all of various agreements.